Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Thinking of buying Chromebook!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Thinking of buying Chromebook!

Just make sure you understand that it is an ARM device and as such if you install Ubuntu on it, some software won't be available, e.g. Flash, Steam, other 3rd party many games, etc. although most of the software in the repos is also available for arm. But I'm just saying..

Beans

I picked up a Samsung Chromebook a little while ago. I didn't have any aspirations of doing "real" work on it. For me, it fills a similar role to a tablet like an iPad. So, Facebook, Twitter, Youtube as well as the Google Apps all work very well. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that 1080p Youtube works flawlessly via the HDMI port at the back. I think it's a decent little machine, but obviously you need to manage your expectations.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've heard good reports about the chromebook for writers - they allow offline text editing, rapid to boot, and battery life should be good. I haven't used one, but for writing, I would recommend a thinkpad x series. You can get these refurbished for little money, install a simple linux os and should run pretty fast. The only problem is the battery life won't be as good as a tablet or chromebook, particularly if they've put in a non-lenovo battery (which they usually do). A new one is pretty expensive.

Failing that, how about one of these? They have a nice leather cover, but internet access is a bit tricky.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Psion-Series.../dp/B000050ABY

D

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by kostkon View Post
    Just make sure you understand that it is an ARM device and as such if you install Ubuntu on it, some software won't be available, e.g. Flash, Steam, other 3rd party many games, etc. although most of the software in the repos is also available for arm. But I'm just saying..
    To clarify, since there's an intervening post, this is specifically in reference to the one that aysiu linked, not Chromebooks generally, most of which are Intel.
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    Also, if you get the 3G Chromebook (US$329 instead of US$249 for the non-3G), it comes with 2 years of 100 MB of data per month. 100 MB isn't great for streaming video, but if you just want access to Google Drive for some docs you haven't yet put offline, 100 MB is plenty.
    Are you kidding here¿

Considering even a tablet such as the iPad comes with already cramped 500MB plans and that many struggle to use a smartphone with anything less than 2GB plans, how do you expect to do any kind of significant work on 100MB? In 2012 the average webpage weight was 1.2MB. In short, you will only be able to navigate shy of 84 pages a month before busting your plan, probably even less now.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Cubytus View Post
    Are you kidding here¿

Considering even a tablet such as the iPad comes with already cramped 500MB plans and that many struggle to use a smartphone with anything less than 2GB plans, how do you expect to do any kind of significant work on 100MB? In 2012 the average webpage weight was 1.2MB. In short, you will only be able to navigate shy of 84 pages a month before busting your plan, probably even less now.
    Agreed. 100 MB is nothing. So far today, Ive used 187 MB. This is just from normal internet usage. I checked my mail, read the news, visited a few pages I regularly read, watched a couple Youtube videos, and downloaded a small program. 100 MB is laughable, especially with a Chromebook which relies so heavily on internet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Cubytus View Post
    Are you kidding here¿

I'm not kidding you.

I own an actual Chromebook with 3G, and it actually has 100 MB free (well, included in the price) per month, and it's saved me from a couple of jams.

The idea isn't to continually browse the internet with 100 MB. The idea is if you have a Google Doc that isn't yet offline, to connect long enough to save it offline, then disconnect, and then work offline with the document.

Beans

Just make sure you understand that it is an ARM device...
    I wait for an Intel version, 10-11in, under 2lbs...that we can install Ubuntu on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

There are a lot of portable Intel machines you can run Ubuntu on, and there's nothing special about Chromebook hardware. Individual Chromebook models can be special for unique reasons, but there's no reason to wait for "a" Chromebook with those specs, in favor of Windows machines that meet all the same hardware specs.
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans

1- I don't want to pay MS Tax and/or stuck with the stinky UEFI lock 2- I want Broadwell/Haswell inside

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123