Thread: Recommendations for laptop with HD screen & good keyboard?

Hybrid View

Beans

Recommendations for laptop with HD screen & good keyboard?

I'm in the market for a new laptop: my Lenovo T500, which has been a fantastic workhorse, is showing signs of age (won't power down properly: have to actually take the battery out!). I'm spoiled with the Lenovo keyboard, but I'd be willing to try something else. My main requirements are: HD screen (1920 x1080), reasonable power: I'm not a gamer, but I do some fairly intensive scientific programming, and a really good keyboard - I do a lot of writing. Also, I'm hoping to keep price down; say $1200-$1500. And of course it has to 100% limux compatible (screen, audio, ports, wireless etc).

I had a look at a Sony Vaio Pro yesterday - very sweet machine, and the idea of an SS HD is attractive (I'd maximize space by getting rid of Windows, for which I have no use at all). Didn't have much of a chance to check out the keyboard though. Also, the touchscreen is unnecessary.

Anyway, I'm hoping for some recommendations: there seem to be trillions of different machines out there, and I'm not sure where to start looking!

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Recommendations for laptop with HD screen & good keyboard?

Don't go for Acer Aspire S7 Ultrabook, the one with Ivy Bridge processor at least, I'm having on 13.04 some serious problems with acpi and power management.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by AussieGuy View Post
    And of course it has to 100% linux compatible (screen, audio, ports, wireless etc).
    http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/desktop/
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

"good keyboard" is very personal and subjective. I think that only you can determine that hands-on.

Personally I would advice an Intel GPU, as Intel is completely open about it's GPUs and thus you can use OSS drivers (which are included in Linux and Ubuntu).
    I would choose an Intel Core CPU
    Furthermore I would advice an SSD: once you have experienced an SSD, you won't go back because of the speed it causes.
    I would advice 4GB RAM as minimum
    Screen size minimum 15 inch (unless you're very mobile)
    I would say a GigE-ethernet port is advisable.
    I would go for Lenovo, HP or Samsung. Not Asus, MSI nor Dell. All based on my own experience (N=1)

Using that as input on Tweakers Pricewatch (http://tweakers.net/categorie/496/laptops/producten/) the choice is easy:

Lenovo Thinkpad E531 (N4I2AMH)
    15,6" Notebook 128GB ssd en 4GB geheugen
    Ci5 3230M
    789 Euro

Lenovo Thinkpad S531 (20B0004KMH)
    15,6" Ultrabook 256GB ssd en 10GB geheugen
    Ci7 3537U
    1176 Euro

Prices are including 21% VAT (Netherlands)

As you seem to like Lenovo Thinkpad, this looks good.

Beans

Hi AussieGuy, did this help you?

Beans

Thanks, Sanderj - that's very helpful indeed (I've been flat-out with other matters and haven't checked back here for a few days). I wonder whether there's a "Tweakers" type site in English, or indeed, a site which allows to to check which laptops satisfy your own requirments?

Thanks again!