Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I want to use version 12.04, but I want to COMPLETELY remove Unity

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I want to use version 12.04, but I want to COMPLETELY remove Unity

Hello All,

I have been an avid user of Ubuntu since I had Hardy Heron back in 2006. Later I switched to Lucid which was the first LTS OS and I has happy with that. The next LTS update was 12.04 and I finally managed to get my wife on board to use Linux as well.

Now enter the problem. Since I have been using the Ubuntu Studio variant of Ubuntu since Hardy, I have pretty much a different desktop...XFCE. While I was not too happy about that, the format pretty much stayed the same with having the taskbar on the bottom and the navigation system was like that of traditional Gnome.

Since my wife doesn't need the features of Ubuntu Studio, I set her up with standard 12.04. Immediately I knew something was amiss when I saw that flyout menu on the left side with symbols and not words and the taskbar was on the top (and couldn't be moved as such). Also everything was on opposite sides.

While both my wife and I 'tried' to get around Unity, we both agree that it is no good and wanted to do away with it. So I came here to the forums. As it turns out, there is a way to install the Gnome-Classic desktop which would restore most of the features of the older style Gnome desktop. However, we were still forced to have the taskbar on top. My wife did learn to use 12.04 this way and for the most part everything was fine.

Enter my twin 6 year old sons. They have grown interested in computers of late and sometimes we let them play games on the computer. However, they are button mashers and in the heat of an on-line game battle they have disturbed some kind of setting and now the awful Unity desktop is back. Worse, changing the login back to Gnome Classic is not working, the desktop keeps smiling back at me going 'ha ha, you still have me...Unity.'

Another thing that has been disturbed is the log-off. The computer will not shut down, nor restart, it goes back to the login screen. So now I am pissed off and I hard booted my wifes machine (shut off manually and restarted using the power button) and I put her back into Windows.

Now this is what I would like to do and in this order:

1) If there is a way to fix this and get my wife's CLASSIC gnome back, I would like step by step instructions to do so.
    2) Next I would like to know a way to OBLITERATE Unity completely. That is right, I want it OFF her system and I don't want to have anything to do with it anymore. If this means manually removing 100 files using the terminal, so be it.
    3) I would like to know how I can 'child proof' the computer. I intend to give my sons their own login and in that login I want to block all keyboard combos, shortcuts or anything that would disturb the settings of the machine. In other words they can push the control, alt, and shift keys (as most the games they play use these keys), but the computer will ignore combination presses, meaning that if normally pressing ALT+W switches a desktop function or feature of Ubuntu. I would like Ubuntu to ignore the combination.

Now if I can't obliterate Unity completely, I would like to know which version of Ubuntu still has the traditional Gnome desktop. If I revert to that version, will my wife still keep her settings?

Note to developers: I would appreciate it if you would still offer a choice in regards to the desktop that is preferred. I know there are many of us that do not like Unity and I for one, didn't appreciate it being jammed down my throat, when I upgraded to 12.04. The old Gnome envirnment was fine, there was nothing wrong with it. While I do appreciate that I can go back to an older desktop, I don't like the fact that a certain key combination can bring the offending Unity desktop environment back. I do hope that future versions of Ubuntu will at least give you a choice. Although I wouldn't mind if you went back to the traditional Gnome interface and offered Unity as the option.

Thank You,

Geo
    Last edited by jukingeo; September 18th, 2013 at 01:50 AM.
    Exit Light, Enter Night, Take My Hand, We're Off To Never Never Land.
    As the Fios Flea says, "W-O-W"!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I want to use version 12.04, but I want to COMPLETELY remove Unity

Hello All,

As the title says, I want to continue to use Ubuntu version 12.04, but I would like to use it with the traditional Gnome desktop. But I would like to know how to completely obliterate Unity. It is causing problems and I simply do not want it on my system. I want Gnome Classic and that is all.

Thank You.

Geo
    Exit Light, Enter Night, Take My Hand, We're Off To Never Never Land.
    As the Fios Flea says, "W-O-W"!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: Ubuntu - we have a problem and that problem is Unity, it keeps coming back!

Here's a link that you may find useful http://linux-software-news-tutorials...untu-1204.html

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: I want to use version 12.04, but I want to COMPLETELY remove Unity

Threads merged.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Re: Ubuntu - we have a problem and that problem is Unity, it keeps coming back!

Quote Originally Posted by jukingeo View Post
    Note to developers: I would appreciate it if you would still offer a choice in regards to the desktop that is preferred. I know there are many of us that do not like Unity and I for one, didn't appreciate it being jammed down my throat, when I upgraded to 12.04. The old Gnome envirnment was fine, there was nothing wrong with it. While I do appreciate that I can go back to an older desktop, I don't like the fact that a certain key combination can bring the offending Unity desktop environment back. I do hope that future versions of Ubuntu will at least give you a choice. Although I wouldn't mind if you went back to the traditional Gnome interface and offered Unity as the option.
    GNOME killed Gnome 2.x, that decision had nothing to do with Ubuntu or Canonical.

Nothing is "jammed down your throat," if you want to try Xubuntu, Lubuntu, or Kubuntu visit the appropriate website. For more info see http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/whichbuntu

Beans

Try Ubuntu GNOME.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGNOME/GetUbuntuGNOME

Also I would suggest, like oldos2ersaid give Xubuntu a try.

I am not too familiar with the Parental Controls on Ubuntu so sorry I cannot be of further help. The only way I know to get rid of Unity is to, well, not use it at all.
    Last edited by HiImAStaticCharge; September 18th, 2013 at 02:25 AM.

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Yet another idea

Do a terminal only install with either the mini.iso or the alt install cd and then:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install --no-install-recommends gnome-session-fallback nautilus && sudo apt-get install firefox synaptic gnome-terminal lightdm
    With that, you will be on your marry way to rolling your own gnome-classic (and only gnome-classic) desktop. I think you been around long enough to figure out what packages you want from there

And one question. I too have been running ubuntu since hardy, but I had to wait for it to come out in 2008. How did you get it in 2006

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Unity is here to stay.

I am not sure what bothered you in Xubuntu. the bottom panel can be removed (right click on it to remove it). the top panel can be moved (right click on it to move it).

you can turn of desktop shortcuts easilly (somewhere in system settings). i know you can in Kubuntu. if you create their own acocunt, just don't give them admin rights. they can mess it up completelly and yet their mess won't affect the entire sytsem but only their accounts. i have a two year old and that what i did. he pushes all kinds of buttons.

If you want something that has a lot of customisation options in GUI - Xubuntu or Kubuntu are a good choice.

btw MATE desktop is the continuation of old Gnome 2. Linux Mint has a spin with it and they also contribute to Mate. it can also be installed in Ubuntu. i wonder how long will it remain relevant though.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Installing Gnome as an alternative to Unity is as simple as installing Gnome Panel. There's nothing stopping you from putting the window list (or anything else for that matter) on the bottom panel. I have no idea why you keep logging yourself out rather than shutting down. Keyboard shortcuts are easy to edit.

Personally, I'm rocking the Gnome 3/Compiz combo, but whatever floats your boat.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

1) The old gnome is more or less gone. I wasn't happy with unity either, so I switched to Xubuntu, which uses xfce, with which you seem familiar. It's highly configurable, so you can put whatever bars, buttons and other things you want on the top, bottom or sides. A fresh install of Xubuntu works and will get rid of all dirty configurations present, but converting Ubuntu to Xubuntu is possible. Install xubuntu-desktop ...
    2) ... and read here how to get rid of Unity.
    3) If you give your sons their own login without sudo permission, they won't be able to change any setting on the computer except for there own accounts. At least, until they've learned how to get into the recovery console. If you make a backup of the settings stored on their account and save that in a directory to which they don't have write access, you can always restore their settings in an instant in case they mess something up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast