Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nearly ready to give up on Ubuntu for good. Help!

Beans

Red face Nearly ready to give up on Ubuntu for good. Help!

Earlier this year, I installed Ubuntu for the first time - version 13.04. Two problems occurred:

1. While using Ubuntu, ability to connect to the internet is spotty at best. Even though we have an excellent, high speed connection.

2. If I have opened Ubuntu then reboot to Windows 7, my headphone jack will not work. my laptops speakers still work, though.

Of the two, number two is the more problematic. I posted a request for information here already, and received a few replies from helpful people, but in each case, the advice was beyond my technical understanding and ability, and also, when I took the advice and steps suggested, it never actually worked.

In the case of both internet connectivity, and also the non-working headphone jack, no advice when followed has worked, and when the "problem" goes away (temporarily), it never seems to be as the result of any action on my part. All of a sudden, as if by magic, my headphones start working again.... with no apparent cause.

I like Ubuntu. Or rather, I'm trying hard to keep liking it. But I do need to use Windows frequently - especially as I never know when Ubuntu will be able to connect to the internet or not - and there is much of what I do that requires (because of my working environment) that I use headphones rather than my computer's speakers. Which means, that whenever Ubuntu renders my headphones useless for however long it chooses to remain that way, in essence it stops me from doing most of my work.

And I can't afford that to happen. A long time ago, I just stopped using Ubuntu, out of necessity. because I need to get some work done once in a while.

If there is anyone who thinks they can help me to resolve these problems, I would welcome your kind assistance. I need assistance in simple, non-techie language. Please help me to be able to resume using Ubuntu again, and continue using it...

One more question I had not thought to ask: Is there any other version of this OS, which has all the features and ease of use that makes Ubuntu so attractive for non-techie users such as myself, but which do not have a reputation for these kinds of problems?

I have seen that this problem with Ubuntu making headphones non-operational in Windows is a very common one. I see lots of people describing similar problem, which suggests to me that Ubuntu itself needs to be tweaked to make this common issue a non-common one. I don't think the problem is with Windows. Windows works just fine until Ubuntu is used, then my headphones go bye bye!

And I'm surprised Ubuntu developers haven't put more energy into resolving this issue. Help!

Beans

Re: Nearly ready to give up on Ubuntu for good. Help!

I think it's a bit unkind of you to blame the community and developers.
    Many users with problems you describe have hardware from manufacturers that do not release Linux drivers.

*If* that's your problem, then that is your hardware manufacturer's fault. The process for manufacturers to get their drivers included in Linux (an Ubuntu) is not onerous.
    Ubuntu and Linux developers are not psychic, are mostly volunteers, and simply cannot reverse-engineer drivers for every piece of hardware ever made.

Feel free to encourage your hardware vendor to improve. After all, you gave them (not Ubuntu) your money in expectation of compatibility.
    Someday, if you have a system with compatible hardware...and LOTS of systems are 100% compatible...give Ubuntu another try.

If you wish more detailed help, please link to your previous threads.
    Last edited by ian-weisser; September 17th, 2013 at 10:39 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

The problem you're going to have using Ubuntu on any laptop is that they come with drivers ONLY for MS Windows already installed.

You have learned a valuable lesson -- when you buy a piece of equipment designed to work with MS Windows, and it doesn't work with Linux, fixing that can involve a lot of time and effort -- and is not always successful. Laptop builders use lots of special hardware to keep the costs down and, in some cases, there are no Linux drivers for that hardware, or if there are, the drivers are not very good.

I've been using both Windows and Ubuntu for a long time -- but -- I give this same advice to everyone: use what works best for you. Since you already have Windows on the laptop and it appears to be working great with all your hardware, then use that.

Is there any other version of this OS, which has all the features and ease of use that makes Ubuntu so attractive for non-techie users such as myself, but which do not have a reputation for these kinds of problems?
    Yes ... you can try Linux Mint. It comes with more stuff enabled by default and still uses the "old" menu system for the desktop (in Cinnamon) instead of Unity.
    Last edited by Mark Phelps; September 17th, 2013 at 10:37 PM.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Mate, Mint 18 Mate; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

It would help to know exactly what hardware you are using. This is what I would do if I were you. Do a Google on something like (picking a random make and model of computer):

"HP Pavillion 1620a" ubuntu headphone

and see what you find. Are other people having this problem? With which versions of Ubuntu? You have a wide variety of different versions from which to choose. Right now 12.04, 12.10, and 13.04 are all considered "current" versions.
    If variety is the spice of life, monotony must therefore be the kiss of death.

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

+1 on what Mark Phelps said. I also am a strong believer in using what works for you. As they mentioned, normally this is not an Ubuntu problem - Ubuntu itself is not laden with problems as you seem to indicate. PC makers do what Microsoft wants them to do in order to be able to license and support Windows and other Microsoft products. In turn, the manufacturers create drivers for their hardware for Windows. In a lot of cases, these drivers are in turn included in Windows or found automatically at new hardware detection. The others are normally included on a CD or DVD from the manufacturer. The biggest problem is that these manufacturers do not create drivers for their hardware for Linux, and sometimes the hardware technicalities are not open for others, so it's difficult at best to try to create a linux driver for them otherwise. The vast majority of people who have "problems" with ubuntu or other linux variants are problems caused by this lack of linux support by the manufacturer. These people assume that since Windows "did it automatically" (read: the manufacturers had to create Windows drivers and make them available, often invisible to the end user) that linux should as well and if it doesn't then there's something wrong with the OS itself. Simply not the case.

Do post back your hardware specifics, anything about what you have tried (links?), etc.. It might also be helpful to know if what you are doing requires some special software in Windows or not. I used to do some part-time work from home and it actually required some specific Windows software.

Please don't give up yet - let us have another crack at it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

I need assistance in simple, non-techie language. Please help me to be able to resume using Ubuntu again, and continue using it...
    Without knowing the specifics of this problem, and the solutions offered in the past, I can't say for sure, but you may have to accept the possibility that this may be a problem that either a) doesn't have a solution at all; or b) can not be fixed in a simple manner. Even fixing Windows sometimes requires getting your hands dirty in the command prompt or registry.

I don't have much else to offer right now myself, but can I offer a suggestion? Add links to your previous thread(s), and examples of these other cases you say you found. Granted I didn't spend long, but I couldn't find much with a search, so either I was using the wrong search terms, or this isn't that common of a problem...

And I'm surprised Ubuntu developers haven't put more energy into resolving this issue.
    Have bugs been filed? If the problems are simply reported in forums and then the affected users either live with it or stop using Ubuntu, it wouldn't surprise me if devs haven't put any effort into fixing this specific problem, because I'm sure there are plenty of other bugs for them to work on.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by paravasta View Post
    And I'm surprised Ubuntu developers haven't put more energy into resolving this issue. Help!
    I was struck by this observation. All hardware manufacturers are happy to supply MS with drivers because that's (more or less) 90% of their market. Mac accounts for around 9%, leaving just 1% for *nix. There are holdouts who simply won't work with the open source community; Canon comes to mind. This is changing as hardware manufacturers see interest in Linux increasing by the day. My advice is to check with a site like https://www.linux.com/news/hardware/...-find-out-here before making any investment in hardware. It would help if you would post the configuration of your computer. Something is obviously wrong, but we can only guess without knowing what you're working with.
    In working with *nix...There be dragons. Newcomers: I recommend reading Linux is Not Windows (http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm) and The Linux Command Line (http://www.linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php) before beginning your quest for a better OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Do the headhones work in Ubuntu when you boot directly into Ubuntu after the machine has been turned off? If so, that would indicate Windows is not returning the headphone jack to its default state when the machine is rebooted. Ditto the net connection problem. (Doesn't solve your problem, but it might help a Linux developer.)

Is your net connection wired or wireless? If wireless, what wireless card is in you laptop? Are you able to make the intial net connection and it goes out later? Or, is the problem that the intial link often fails?

Both of these problems could easily be due to faulty drivers. While Linux hardware support by vendors has improved significantly in recent years, some vendors still provide no or half-hearted support for Linux. In those cases, Linux developers often try to reverse-engineer that hardware and create drivers. However, they are often working in the dark.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

buzzingrobot, great observation about Linux developers working in the dark. Also, here's something you forgot to mention. MS has around 65,000 well-paid cubicle drones toiling away in Richmond to produce expensive products. Linux, by contrast, is free and supported by unpaid volunteers all over the world.
    In working with *nix...There be dragons. Newcomers: I recommend reading Linux is Not Windows (http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm) and The Linux Command Line (http://www.linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php) before beginning your quest for a better OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

@Whitesmith: Thanks. Still, it's a reality that doesn't help the OP run Ubunt. He just might be better off sticking with Windows with this laptop.

To the OP: If you boot an Ubuntu LiveCD, do the same problems appear?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast