Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New external Hard drive how to format to use on both ubuntu and windows laptops

Beans

New external Hard drive how to format to use on both ubuntu and windows laptops

I have attached a screenshot of dik utility showing the details of the drive.
    i am a noob but smart enough to follow instruction
    thanks a lot
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: New external Hard drive how to format to use on both ubuntu and windows laptops

Welcome to the forums. Yep go with ntfs. Ubuntu can read that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: New external Hard drive how to format to use on both ubuntu and windows laptops

You can format it in Windows (NTFS) and you can be sure it is gonna work in both Ubuntu and Windows...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

dankojoffrey---Just picked up the Seragate 1TB Plus external and am trying to get it to work with 12.04. Am I reading it right that all I need to do is plug it into windows and set it to run on NTFS so my laptop and Ubuntu 12.04 will recognize it? (Actually wanted to use it with my Toshiba tablet but that's another story!)

Playing with my Toshiba AT11 and an older 160GB Maxtor external and found I can get into the files by going to file manager. Will play around a bit with the Seagate and see what happens.
    Last edited by flyfishingphil; September 17th, 2013 at 08:39 PM.

Beans

so is it already ntfs. no need to do anything just start using it?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobin_Noir View Post
    so is it already ntfs. no need to do anything just start using it?
    Missed the screenshot as on smartphone.

Indeed nothing to do already formatted. Enjoy your new drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    Missed the screenshot as on smartphone.

Indeed nothing to do already formatted. Enjoy your new drive.
    Tried just plugging it in on mine and it shows nothing. Went to "PLACES" and clicked on "SEAGATE BACKUP DRIVE" then clicked on Seagate Dashboard installer.exe and here is what I get when I click on the installer.exe:

Archive: /media/Seagate Backup Plus Drive/Seagate Dashboard Installer.exe
    [/media/Seagate Backup Plus Drive/Seagate Dashboard Installer.exe]
    End-of-central-directory signature not found. Either this file is not
    a zipfile, or it constitutes one disk of a multi-part archive. In the
    latter case the central directory and zipfile comment will be found on
    the last disk(s) of this archive.
    zipinfo: cannot find zipfile directory in one of /media/Seagate Backup Plus Drive/Seagate Dashboard Installer.exe or
    /media/Seagate Backup Plus Drive/Seagate Dashboard Installer.exe.zip, and cannot find /media/Seagate Backup Plus Drive/Seagate Dashboard Installer.exe.ZIP, period

Don't see any options to do a system backup available or any way to get into it. Suggestions?

Beans
    Distro

You would need to do that from windows. Linux does not do .exe files natively.

You can use drag and drop from ubuntu or there are a few backup apps in ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

The Seagate Installer is trying to install an app for Windows. You do NOT need to do this in order to be able to use the drive.

All you need to do in Ubuntu is click on the folder in Places associated with the drive. That will open Nautilus to that folder.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast