Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New external Hard drive how to format to use on both ubuntu and windows laptops

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: New external Hard drive how to format to use on both ubuntu and windows laptops

Thanks holycow. Backup done. Great, easy to follow instructions. I'll write down that location in case something goes wrong and I need it again.

ffp
    HP EliteBook 2530p 120GiB HDD, 2GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU L9400 1.86GHz X2, Moile Intel GM45 Express Chipset, OS is 64 bit

Beans
    Distro

Re: New external Hard drive how to format to use on both ubuntu and windows laptops

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Phelps View Post
    The Seagate Installer is trying to install an app for Windows. You do NOT need to do this in order to be able to use the drive.

All you need to do in Ubuntu is click on the folder in Places associated with the drive. That will open Nautilus to that folder.
    Clicked on the icon and all I get is the view of the folders inside. Which Nautilus do I need to do that?
    HP EliteBook 2530p 120GiB HDD, 2GB RAM, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU L9400 1.86GHz X2, Moile Intel GM45 Express Chipset, OS is 64 bit

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The program showing you the contents of the drive is Nautilus.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    Missed the screenshot as on smartphone.

Indeed nothing to do already formatted. Enjoy your new drive.
    thanks a lot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Please mark as solved by going to thread tools.
    -Jonathan

Beans
    Distro

Hello,

From my experience, I would personally advise against using ntfs between operating systems. Linux was able to read-only ntfs for a long time and now it can write as well I believe but for a reliable format that will work on windows, Linux, and even Mac, FAT32 is still king of the hill.

I you're not working with individual files larger than 4GB (the fat 32 limit) i would give a +1 for fat32 since it's universally supported and stable.

Hope this helps, all the best to you. Nice drive by the way, I have a WD passport formatted FAT32 that I like a lot.
    -CeejRab

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12