Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy Galago Pro Users?

Beans

Happy Galago Pro Users?

I was wondering if there were happy Galago pro users out there. I've been following other posts, where people seem very upset, and was wondering if the experience was universal or not.

Hoping for not...

Jason

Beans

Re: Happy Galago Pro Users?

Mine was just delivered today. I will have to wait until I get home from work to try it out. I will let you know once I have spent a little time with it.

Beans

Just got mine. My 'E' key only works 50% of the time. That's a rather important key. :\

I've opened a support ticket, and I'm going to keep toying around. I really, REALLY don't want to install a new keyboard.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I've had mine for two days. I would say it captures 70% of my keystrokes.
    Vey frusrating - I opened a support ticket as well; they said that it is the subject of quite a lot of discussion; I told them that if they don't send a replacement keyboard that captures keystrokes 99% of the time I'd return it.

Beans

I read here, that this Clevo model is throttling it's CPU and GPU heavily when unplugged. They were using windows in that review. Is Galago throttling too, using linux? Can someone comment on this?

Beans

I just got mine yesterday and have only spent a couple of hours with it. Here are my initial impressions:

Chassis: I actually was worried it would feel very cheap and plastic (my previous computer had an aluminum body) like some laptop brands, but I was pleasantly surprised by how nice it felt to touch and use. There is some flex to the lid as others have reported, but if you are only opening and closing it normally it is not an issue. You shouldn't be trying to twist your screen or putting heavy things on top of your laptop under any circumstances anyway. It is also very light and slim. Fans seem to be very quiet.

Display: Awesome. I love the matte screen and the colors and viewing angles are great.

Ease of Setup: I was up and running in under 5 minutes and customizing my desktop, watching YouTube, etc. No problems.

Performance: The processor seems to be very fast. The SSD obviously helps in the speed department as well. I booted up one steam game (Legend of Grimrock, so not too graphic heavy, but played at max resolution and medium-high settings) for a few minutes and it played very well.

Audio/Speakers: Audio quality isn't spectacular. It doesn't get very loud and sounds like it is mostly treble with no bass. However, it is adequate and, since I use headphones most of the time, I am not fussed about it.

Trackpad: It feels and works great for me, especially after enabling tap to click. I like the glassy/smooth quality to it. I didn't experience any bad jumping around or anything.

Keyboard: I can tell that the flex of the keyboard that others reported (such as in the notebookcheck review) was indeed fixed. I get no flex whatsoever when I type. However, I can also tell why some people have not been too happy with the keyboard. The keys are low profile, which is nice aesthetically, but as a result you get a short keystroke, which feels a little off at first. There is also a problem with keystrokes registering IF you do not press them somewhat hard and decisively. If you just kind of glide your finger across the key, it probably wont register. I tend to type somewhat hard anyway, so my typing actually has not been too bad with the Galago so far and hopefully will get better as I get used to the new keyboard. A new keyboard also takes a little bit of getting used to. Could it be better? Yeah. It is as horrible as some people have been claiming? Not in my opinion. But again, you do have to type a little hard. If you do, your keystrokes should register. Of course, that is not necessarily what everyone wants to have to do and I agree that they should be more responsive, especially for people who have a softer typing style than I do. I might try to take a typing test on it later (I usually type around 70 wpm with little to no errors) to try to really test it. So far I was just typing random things in LibreOffice or in google search and it has worked decently for me.

If any of these impressions change after using it more, I will be sure to update you. But all in all, I am happy so far.

Beans

Thanks for the review, it's good to see the keyboard is not as bad as it may look from some reviews. Because the machine looks very impressive otherwise.

Beans

So far I think everything else about this machine is great. The keyboard really is the only issue. I got some more typing in on it last night and even took a typing test. I ended up a little lower than what I usually type, with only 58 words a minute. I usually get closer to 70. When I am typing fast and frantically, I notice that the keys that are most likely not to register for me are E, O, and the space bar. If I slow down a bit, it becomes less of an issue. But, ideally, this whole thing wouldn't be a problem at all. But I still haven't gotten more than a few hours with it and I really hope I will get used to typing on it. I think some of my typing errors are also still caused by not being used to the spacing and feel of the keyboard. As I said above, the keyboard for sure could be better, but it isn't like it is impossible to type anything. I will be doing some actual writing this weekend and will give an update on how some extended real-world typing goes.

Beans

Hi,

I have been with the Galago for about two months already. Just like the rest, I think that the keyboard issue really sucks, and replacing it did not solve the problem completely. I think that about 85% of my keystrokes are registered, you need to type a bit strong, specially with the SPACE button, but I got used to.

Another issue that I found, but it rarely happens, is the Atheros WiFi Card. It sometimes disconnects from the hotspot (and then does not appear in the list :S). However, I presume that it is a driver issue, and it will be updated in the next Ubuntu release.

Apart from that, I am very happy with all the rest. In my PhD thesis I need to work with several virtual machines and HPC, and the Galago has performed excellently with it. The Iris Pro Graphics card also works very well with 3D processing tools like Blender and with games such as Awesomenauts or Might and Magic: Heroes VI. I will also use it with video editing tools like Kdenlive and, from the first tests, I also got good results.

To sum up, I am very happy with my purchase because it is exactly what I was looking for. However, I would not recommend it for more average users who do not need such a powerful beast.

Cheers

Beans

Overall happy here. I'm waiting for the keyboard replacement, hoping it will improve a bit - I do use ergonomic keyboard and mouse most of the time anyway so it probably hasn't bothered me as much as others but when on the go, the keyboard does get annoying. I'm used to the clickpad by now, so no issues there imho. Performance is very good, but you notice it drop when unplugged as the CPU/GPU get throttled - something I hope to change once I get a chance to mess with the power governance (didn't attempt yet). I've been doing some fairly intensive graphics work and also played a few games on steam, perf seems pretty good to me - what would impact perf at times is most certainly down to how the software makes (bad) use of the parallel hardware, speak apps that rely on single-threaded speed more than parallelization - those would suffer under throttled Haswell cores most. Here's hoping that OS and app evolution will benefit me more mid-term.

Minor annoyances so far (not necessarily related to system76 or the hardware, but still)
    * Ubuntu often reboots even when i say "shutdown"
    * Skype refuses to recognize the mic
    * Keyboard drops occasional keystroke, hoping it might improve with new keyboard (locked me a few passwords there as a result)
    * Clickpad took a few hours to get used to (was used to a dell trackpad before that worked differently)
    * Sometimes after suspend I don't see the "enter password" screen, instead ubuntu looks frozen - by entering the pw blindly and hitting enter, it unlocks

The more positive highlights
    * Two external screens + very nice laptop screen = nerdgasm
    * It's really light
    * Performance is what I expected (SSD + 8GB Ram). Boots to desktop in under 10s, so that's ok.
    * My Wacom worked out of the box, together with Krita/MyPaint/Gimp/Blender I'm really happy with graphics tooling. Some could make better use of concurrency, though
    * Steam works just fine, I wish some recent games were available for Linux but those tides are changing anyways; trying to be patient Played L4D2 and HL2, bunch of indie games. All good
    Last edited by raphael-estrada; September 25th, 2013 at 09:57 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast