Thread: C++ Compiling issue

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

C++ Compiling issue

OK, so I got bored on Sunday after morning service was over, so I returned to messing around with C++ with the little knowledge I have and started making a text-based adventure game (the last two words being used lightly), and followed a guide I found online1 to install the compiler. When I got to the third line in the compiling guide, it gave me an error saying that the file could not be found. Trying to start the needed program outside of Notepad++ resulted in this:

What do?
    haha yes the Cool person is here *backflips and trips over a table* yes i am Cool

Beans

Re: C++ Compiling issue

This is WIndows??

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, this is the faster computer.
    haha yes the Cool person is here *backflips and trips over a table* yes i am Cool

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Moved to Programming Talk.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

You need the right compiler binary for your version of Windows. The error message is not helping much but your first step should be to work out whether you are running 32-bit or 64-bit:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/window...bit-64-bit.htm

I'm assuming Vista. It stirs my hazy memory of what Vista looked like before I uninstalled it.
    Please create new threads for new questions.
    Please wrap code in code tags using the '#' button or enter it in your post like this: [code]...[/code].

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by r-senior View Post
    You need the right compiler binary for your version of Windows. The error message is not helping much but your first step should be to work out whether you are running 32-bit or 64-bit:
    On Windows, one can use Visual Studio YYYY Express Edition (where YYYY is some release year), which is basically the free edition. It only compiles 32-bit libraries and apps, but these are usable on a 64-bit system.

To compile 64-bit libraries and apps, one must upgrade to Visual Studio YYYY Standard or Professional Edition. This costs a good load of money, and it baffles me why anyone in their right mind would ever go this route.

Just use Linux, and the tools are free... thanks to some generous people out there in the World.

As for the OP, it seems he is using MinGW, Notepad++, and god knows what else.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by r-senior View Post

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/window...bit-64-bit.htm

I'm assuming Vista. It stirs my hazy memory of what Vista looked like before I uninstalled it.
    Windows 7 Ultimate
    Service Pack 1
    32-bit Operating System