Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Say Goodbye to Windows XP - StartUbuntu Project

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Say Goodbye to Windows XP - StartUbuntu Project

I usually allocate 1 GB of space for Ubuntu to save Files on the Pen Drive. As long as you do that, the USB Pen Drive will work just fine.
    Dell Inspiron 15 3521 Laptop with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.
    Dell Inspiron 400 HD Desktop with a 120 GB Crucial SSD and Lubuntu 14.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Interesting. I'll have to share this around.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Move to U, L and OS chat

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi,

As part of StartUbuntu Activities, I have started a Real Life Project to Convert the neighbourhood where I live from Windows to Linux. So far:

Project Convert My Neighbours From Windows to Linux Status Report

5 Machines have been converted to Linux as of today:
    Machine 1 = lubuntu 13.10
    Machine 2 = Xubuntu 12.04.3
    Machine 3 = Xubuntu 13.10
    Machine 4 = Xubuntu 13.10
    Machine 5 = Lubuntu 13.10

Where I live, there are perhaps around 4000 people and we have a facebook group where we share lots of real life topics, post Q, seek help, etc. I have started to post and talk about Linux almost everyday so people are started to be interested and approached me to convert their machines to Linux.

Some are super happy and have never asked one single Q while some other are having some hard time so I offered to go over their place and explain whatever they need to make life easier. It is a very great way, IMHO to spread the word of StartUbuntu, convert people to Linux and see how it goes when someone who had never ever seen Linux in his/her entire life to start actually using it it is not an easy challenge but definitely, fun and interesting

I was about to convert the 6th machine but it seems it has a Hardware Failure so I guess there is nothing can be done.

I'd suggest those who are interested to do the same with your neighbours, friends, etc. Don't over do it. Start with few and see how it goes. This is what I am doing. I don't want to go wild and install Linux to 20 people at the same time. I want to give them all the time they need to start get used to it.

Perhaps one of the challenges is Apple Products just as iTunes. PlayOnLinux isn't really helpful so far. Most of the people in my neighbourhood are Apple Users so that would be extra fun and challenge

Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Project: Convert My Neighbours From Windows to Linux - Status Report

6 Machines have been converted to Linux as of today:

Machine 1 = lubuntu 13.10
    Machine 2 = Xubuntu 12.04.3
    Machine 3 = Xubuntu 13.10
    Machine 4 = Xubuntu 13.10
    Machine 5 = Lubuntu 13.10
    Machine 6 = Xubuntu 12.04.3

Beans

I see that you have installed both xubuntu 13.10 (latest) and 12.04 (lts). Was that your choice or did you inform the users of the update & support circle differences. Moreover do you plan to update any of those machines to the new lts when it's released?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Note to all : soltiris has raised an interesting point. Many of us following this thread have installed Ubuntu on numerous machines (me, more than 20)
    and we should emphasize that we often have NOT properly raised the upgrade issue., nor updating. It is like Win XP repeating itself,
    Originally I started doing the installs because I was sick of fixing Windows crap. Some installs done a few years back have not neen updated, but the users have said nothing.
    Thoughts please
    Allen
    Pay now, or pay later, there's no free lunch.

Beans

Well if it's LTS upgrades it's not so much of a problem as they get 5/3 (depending on flavor) years of support. I don't think having to update them in 5 years (without having to buy anything) is going to put someone as having to buy a new pc as an update between two windows versions usually needs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi,

I may disagree with you here
    I am indeed informing my neighbours about the 'update' and 'upgrade' issue
    Above all, I am having a list of the names, addresses and the hardware of my neighbours and their phone numbers. I know when I shall contact them or go myself to do an upgrade to a newer version

Beside, Lubuntu Installations vs Xubuntu Installations is a small ratio. I am focusing on installing Xubuntu 12.04.3 LTS for a good reason
    Some weak machines that better to put Lubuntu on are less than the machines I have put Xubuntu on. So no worries, in my case, I am keeping an eye and all those users are super new to Linux. They have never ever used nor seen Linux on their entire life. They are, for now, super happy with Linux
    Booting and shutting down the machine in seconds were more than enough to impress them. Again, they were using Windows or Apple their entire life. They are lucky to have a Linux Geek around to show them the bright side of life.

Just yesterday, another neighbour gave me 4 old machines. I have converted 3 so far:
    HP Mini with VIA C7 M CPU and 512MB RAM = Xubuntu 12.04.3 and YES, it is running now like a brand new
    Samsung Mini with ATOM CPU = Lubuntu 13.10
    Old HP Laptop (can't remember the model) with Centrino and 1GB RAM = Xubuntu 12.04.3
    and finally, a very old machine with 256MB RAM which would be a real challenge for me to put Linux (not sure yet which version or system) on it and hopefully, I will manage to do that.

So, as of today, 10 machines have been converted to Linux (another neighbor gave me her Core i3 with 3GB laptop - infected with tons of viruses running Win7 - now, breathing Xubuntu 12.04.3). However, there is one machine of these that I am a bit concerned about.

It is Asus Eee laptop which has Lubuntu 13.10 now.
    That Laptop will be send to Malta and will be used by an old man who just needs Gmail and Facebook as far as what his daughter (my neighbour) told me. I am concerned because I am not sure if the 'upgrade' process be as smooth as it should be or someone has to have a look?

I think I have a friend who lives in Malta and I think he can help but I am not sure yet about the details. Well, I better NOT think negatively and hope nothing wrong will happen

Beans
    Hidden!

I am very happy reading your post

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    Hi,

Above all, I am having a list of the names, addresses and the hardware of my neighbours and their phone numbers. I know when I shall contact them or go myself to do an upgrade to a newer version
    I'm also helping friends and neighbours. Thanks for the tip about list of the names, addresses and the hardware of my neighbours and their phone numbers, to know when to contact them for upgrades!
    However, there is one machine of these that I am a bit concerned about. It is Asus Eee laptop which has Lubuntu 13.10 now.
    That Laptop will be send to Malta and will be used by an old man who just needs Gmail and Facebook as far as what his daughter (my neighbour) told me. I am concerned because I am not sure if the 'upgrade' process be as smooth as it should be or someone has to have a look?

I think I have a friend who lives in Malta and I think he can help but I am not sure yet about the details. Well, I better NOT think negatively and hope nothing wrong will happen
    Maybe you can install (and test) teamviewer or some other software for easy access remotely. But a friend who can be there is the best solution.

Page 6 of 34 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast