Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Say Goodbye to Windows XP - StartUbuntu Project

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Say Goodbye to Windows XP - StartUbuntu Project

We are not only trying to convert XP users. But we are coming close to end of life of XP in April, and for this reason we focus on replacing it during a few months.

Beans
    Hidden!

This article made me feel super bad and I was thinking last night a lot of what I can do about it?
    I bought netbooks with Windows on them but it doesn't mean I use the OS.
    I hope that governments should ban the practice of forcing PC shipped with Windows installed. Unless the maker happens to be the owner of both - or the OS is free.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    We are not only trying to convert XP users. But we are coming close to end of life of XP in April, and for this reason we focus on replacing it during a few months.
    +1

I am glad there is someone can read my mind
    Thank you, my friend. I couldn't agree more.

And, just for those who are wondering whether StartUbuntu Project will die in April 2014 after Microsoft Windows XP dies, please be informed that StartUbuntu is just getting warm up. This project definitely has more stuff to bring to the world and that would be approaching those with Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 so, we are just in the first phase

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I'm not sure that what has been said in this thread about XP equating to rundown obsolete hardware is absolutely true.
    I require Windows to run AutoCAD, SolidWorks, Caesar II and other engineering software.
    I use ACAD 2002 because it boots in under a second compared to ACAD 2014 which takes over a minute.
    XP runs ACAD 2002 far better than Win 7 does and besides, I just don't like 7.
    Both my office and laptop have i7's with Quadro graphics.

I am not the only one, I read just the other day that XP is still running 29% of all computers, ( http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...e-is-shrinking ).
    Many of these users are large corporations.

For the demise of XP I have been experimenting with running XP inside Vbox on Ubuntu, sort of a locked sandbox.
    All my internet, email and downloads would be through Ubuntu.
    Only engineering software would be run with XP.

As for giving old hardware to poor foreign kids, I think it is a great idea.
    I have brought a few ancient motherboards, and other essential hardware, over to Sri Lanka.
    The kids started their systems hanging the boards from the wall and upgrading to enclosed cases when they could afford
    This has not only made a difference to the kids but to there parents as well.
    One poor tuk tuk driver started a web page and is now booking tours for visitors from all over the world.

I have run into one problem introducing Ubuntu here, Windows of any flavor is the same price as Ubuntu, and kids quickly get addicted to the games they can play on Windows.
    The Windows systems quickly get infected with malware, but it is easy enough to reformat, when the system gets too bogged down.
    I'm not sure what effect the freezing of XP will have here, many of the Win 7 drivers will not work on the hardware.

Beans
    Distro

Today, I converted my first one in 2014 and the total of converted machines became 17 as of today - see this.

3 months to go starting from today. Windows XP will die completely in 3 months from today.

I am not sure how many is following StartUbuntu Project and spreading the word. I am not sure how many have installed Linux for people and explained that to them. I am not sure how many machines others have converted themselves. All that does not matter. What does 'really' matter now is we must start to focus our efforts and try to be more active and not sit and wait 8th of April, 2014 because it would be too late and most of the Windows XP users will 'pay' for Microsoft or 'buy' new not needed hardware, simply because, they have never heard of Linux yet.

Almost all the 17 machines I have converted, 90% of the people have never ever heard of Linux before. I would imagine 70% 'minimum' of the people/users who are 'still' using Windows XP have never heard of Linux as well.

What are we waiting for?

There is 'no' time for why this or why that ... no time to discuss. It is time to 'do' and being proactive.

The mission is super simple:
    Windows XP will be expired in 8th of April, 2014
    This message needs to be delivered to as many users as possible. That of course, if we call ourselves a believer in Ubuntu's Philosophy that if we are contributors to Ubuntu or any to its variants.

I was thinking about a sub-project for StartUbuntu, that is to do something for poor kids who can't even have the slowest machine on earth. Africa, AFAIK is full of them. It would be great if we organize with UN or any Organization and send them our 'old' machines. I am sure all of us have more than one machine so why not? but that can wait for now. Let's do this after 8th of April, 2014

Thank you!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I am a recent convert from Windows XP who, until this very moment, knew nothing of this campaign. I have a Windows 7 computer on my network (my wife's) and it will take a lot to win her over, but my goal is to eventually have an entirely Ubuntu home. I am the XP guru for my friends and am conflicted with being their "enabler" as they get support from me, not MS. Updates happen automatically in the background so many will not notice or care when they stop. ( I myself ran Win 98 on a couple of machines for years after support stopped, and up until the end ran XP in "Classic Mode" to make it more like 98.) I have a friend whose XP machine has not updated successfully in 10 months! He (so far) will not let me install Linux because he "hates change". Nevertheless, even before I learned of this effort, all my friends knew of my debate about what to do with XP and my Linux decision. I will keep on my friends to change and, I am sure, that as they one by one have irrepairable problems, they will allow me to "Ubuntu-ize" them. So this effort does not end in April, it really just begins then!
    "Been thinkin' about IT!
    IT being something totally undefinable..." (Van Morrison)

Beans
    Distro

Screenshot - 01132014 - 06:14:41 PM.png

This is a feedback from one of my neighbours who used to used nothing but Windows XP and now, a happy Xubuntu user without even one single Q for 3 weeks so far

I shall say no more. The screenshot is louder than 1000 words

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

I have a number of older folks that have varying degrees of computer skills and physical abilities. Most are, no pun intended, on WINXP. But, the common theme I see in migrating them to a new environment has been simplicity, consistency, – and supportability.

I have always looked at the *buntus tried to pick one that would be a good base upon which to work with in building a target system. I have found that a application dock is an easy thing for XP users to migrate to. So, have used docky in the past for most systems. However, it's buggy now so I have move on to plank.

Back about a year ago I spent time with Lubuntu. But, it drove me nuts trying to customize it. Last week I loaded up Lubuntu 14.04 and was surprised to see how far it's come – light and modern. Gosh, I can finally run the ubuntu startup sound However, it still does not have a fully-functional trash can. Yes, I can set up a desktop icon. But, the icon does not change when there is something in it. This may sound trivial but it's the small things that make a difference for my target group.

I have also spent a great deal of time with xubuntu on versions from 12.04 up to 14.04. For older configurations, this would be a good choice. And, it has all the basics necessary to support my customers. Every time I use xubuntu I think “what a great distro this could be...” But, personally, I am all about aesthetics, and IMHO, the darkness of the overall package is a putoff – like it's stuck in the 90's. I am also disappointed that look and feel things do not get high priority for example the sound applet issue that dragged on forever.

For folks that have the equipment there is Ubuntu Gnome – my personal favorite. Two shell extensions (Taskbar and Dash to dock) give me the control I need to make a very comfortable user-friendly system that is, IMO, the ideal target migration system.

So, why not Ubuntu itself? Older people get confused with the HUD – end of story. Personally, I hate it myself.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by makitso View Post
    However, it still does not have a fully-functional trash can. Yes, I can set up a desktop icon. But, the icon does not change when there is something in it. This may sound trivial but it's the small things that make a difference for my target group.

Look, I never, ever understand the point of the "trash can". If I delete something I want it gone, not being saved in the trash can and taking up space. I have seen Windows people literally running out of space because they think they have deleted stuffs and and they are actually accumulating quietly in the "trash can" (recycle bin). I think the trash can is a stupidest idea that has infected desktop design (a Windows crappy idea?)

When I set up lubuntu for others I always configure Pcmanfm to bypass the trash can altogether. "Delete" means delete, gone. There is a warnig popup before you delete anything so there is no issue of deleting things accidentally. (Likewise in Nautilus I always add a menu item of "really delete")

And why would anyone want the trash can on the desktop??! Do people but their garbage in their bedrooms??
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; January 15th, 2014 at 11:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

And why would anyone want the trash can on the desktop??! Do people but their garbage in their bedrooms??
    Personally, I agree with you. But, this is not about what I think or what you think, it's about this specific customer base, folks that relate to a trash can. All the *buntu's have one except Lubuntu.

Page 9 of 34 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast