Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Say Goodbye to Windows XP - StartUbuntu Project

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Say Goodbye to Windows XP - StartUbuntu Project

Quote Originally Posted by xpinkprincesslysx View Post
    I'm new to Ubuntu, but I can attempt to help
    Hello and Welcome to Ubuntu Forums and thank you for choosing and using Ubuntu/Linux

I think the project should focus on things like...

Do you love using ____ on your current computer? Well, you'll love (insert same or similar application here) just as much (or more)!
    The main focus to communicate to the world that Windows XP will be expire soon. To be more accurate, to reach out to Windows XP Users all around the world. It is not impossible mission but yes, it is not easy. However, if we work as one team, each on his/her location, it would be easy enough.

People that I know are afraid to switch to newer machines because of compatibility reasons, and the reason of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!". There needs to be a really convincing way to at least make people want to try using a new os. Maybe a way of "trying" would help ease some converters...like a known volunteer install person who will install the os for free and provide free support when needed. Also, there should be a stress on the word FREE
    For the 15 machines I converted to Linux in two months, I didn't really have to talk too much. People were quickly convinced. I didn't even have to knock the door of my neighbours, they did send me themselves. I just had to post about Linux every now and then at the beginning and in a month or so, every day, few emails in my Facebook Inbox and I have done the installation myself. NONE of them have installed Linux, I have done that for them. I have given all the information they needed. I went to some people at their place to do very simple things. One of them had problem to connect his Toshiba (he was about to trash it but when he saw Linux breathed new life into it, he became super happy) laptop with Xubuntu 13.10 IIRC to his TV (LCD) with HDMI connection. I went to his place and in few mins, all set and worked like a charm. Until now, he never called nor sent anything

Some laptops had hardware failure.
    One other laptop came back to me so had to re-install Xubuntu and that is all.

Now, there is the very first laptop I converted to Linux. It has a technical issue and AFAIK, it seems a hardware issue. Rather than that, all machine worked fine.

The reason why my neighbours were easily convinced to migrate to Linux is because all of them asked me to help them to look into their dead machine. Of course, most of these machine 'had' Windows XP. So, they were sick and tired of Windows and that what made the mission in Real Life for me really easy.

By the way, there are some machines which are dead. I tried with this for example but it was hopeless.

Some other told me they will contact me after the new year in Jan 2014.

I posted on Facebook where our Real Life neighbourhood group is to tell everyone with 'old' machine to never get rid of it. There are many people wanted to trash their old machines. I told them please DO NOT do that yet. I was so glad that Linux breathed new life and that I managed to draw a smile on their faces.

That is not enough. I am planning for a massive campaign soon so I can at least reach 100 in one month (85 to go) but I guess this is a very high target because I will have to install on more than 2 laptops per day (nearly 3 per day). Let's see. Most of them promised to keep talking about Linux to their friends and colleagues.

Where I live, people don't really care whether to pay for an Apple machine or new Laptop with Windows 8 because they have no time to look for alternatives. However, they would definitely appreciate to save some money.

Beans

I have a dell inspiron e1405 60 gig hd, 512mb ram 1.8 core processer. First had karmic on it worked great, it came with windows xp it was slow. Upgraded to lucid and had many problems, went back to karmic till i tried lubuntu 12.04. Computer works great did upgrade the memory to 2 gigs, Loads faster then my son's hp with windows 7 on it, My computer was made in 2005 and still going good. I feel that Lubuntu is a good replacement for windows xp.

Beans
    Distro

Red face Happy New Year 2014

Happy New Year Wallpaper: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/StartUbuntu/...Happy_New_Year

Thanks to Rafael Laguna who has done all the amazing Artwork for this Project

YES, feel free to use that wallpaper, it is public

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    As of today, 15 Machines have been converted to Linux as of today:

Machine 1 = lubuntu 13.10
    Machine 2 = Xubuntu 12.04.3
    Machine 3 = Xubuntu 13.10
    Machine 4 = Xubuntu 13.10
    Machine 5 = Lubuntu 13.10
    Machine 6 = Xubuntu 12.4.3
    Machine 7 = Xubuntu 12.04.3
    Machine 8 = Xubuntu 12.04.3
    Machine 9 = Xubuntu 12.04.4
    Machine 10 = Lubuntu 13.10
    Machine 11 = SliTaz GNU/Linux - Special Case
    Machine 12 = Lubuntu 13.10
    Machine 13 = Ubuntu GNOME 13.10
    Machine 14 = Lubuntu 13.10
    Machine 15 = Xubuntu 12.04.3

#Xubuntu = 8/15
    #Lubuntu = 5/15
    #Ubuntu_GNOME = 1/15
    #SliTaz = 1/15

I hope I could find 5 more to convert before the new year

On a side note, Merry Christmas and hope we will convert as many Windows XP users as possible
    The 15th laptop 'had' Windows XP and now, it is breathing Xubuntu!

What about you? are you converting people in real life?

I have started in Oct as far as I remember but Oct had very few. Nov and Dec had more laptops to convert. The more I convert, the more people start to be interested. It is not an easy mission to convert the whole neighbourhood which has around 4000 people or more and as you know, some of them have more than one machine. One of them gave me 5 different laptops, all have been converted to Linux.

I think the best way to reach to even more people is by some video. I am thinking to create videos and upload them to YouTube and share it on our Facebook Group where all the neighbours meet on social media.
    And this is a message on Facebook has just arrived:

I sent to her asking:
    Hi Mrs. *****, How is your laptop? everything is fine?
    Her reply as received:

Hi Ali. It's working really, really well. I am learning the system but it's very easy. Thank you so much!!
    And that was the owner of machine 15 which is breathing Xubuntu 12.04.3

She just made my day!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by John_McCourt View Post
    A big part of that is that tabbed browsers use alot of memory. When XP came out there were no tabbed browsers, so people browsed the web more sensibly.
    No we didn't. We just had a zillion browser windows open at once, instead of tabs. (And crashed the browser ten times as often, due to the lack of memory.)
    Last edited by LT1Caprice57L; December 29th, 2013 at 08:11 PM.
    I have some computers and stuff. Really.
    Dell Latitude E6510 - 4GB/750GB - Ubuntu MATE 16.04
    Macbook 2,1 C2D 2.16 13" 4GB/120GB - Ubuntu 12.04
    Toshiba Satellite L505D - Windows 7/Ubuntu 14.04

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I don't think Ubuntu is the right choice for an XP machine. I tried it myself on a 1GB 1.8 Ghz Intel pentium 4 proc with 80HDD and it was as much heavy on my system than Windows 7. Yes it ''works'' but just can't handle that very well.

Users will be much better off with Lubuntu (if they can make it work, I didn't, as I had a sound problem that I couldn't resolve)

Now I am on Linux Mint Xfce and like it pretty much. But yeah, Lubuntu or Xubuntu are better options than Ubuntu for older hardwares.

Beans
    Hidden!

I often install pulseaudio and pavucontrol for better control of the audio system in Lubuntu. They come with Xubuntu out of the box.

And I agree that Lubuntu or Xubuntu are better options than Ubuntu for older hardware. See this thread Old hardware brought back to life

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Tar_Ni View Post
    Now I am on Linux Mint Xfce and like it pretty much. But yeah, Lubuntu or Xubuntu are better options than Ubuntu for older hardwares.
    Mint XFCE is an absolutely fantastic distro. It made my netbook usable. Now that I have resurrected this MacBook, the netbook won't get much use, especially since its screen has been cracked and it'd be more worthy to just replace it. However, it's the only machine I can use in the truck that has Windows at the moment, and I have some trucking-specific applications on it that won't work under Wine, so I have to keep it around for that purpose.
    I have some computers and stuff. Really.
    Dell Latitude E6510 - 4GB/750GB - Ubuntu MATE 16.04
    Macbook 2,1 C2D 2.16 13" 4GB/120GB - Ubuntu 12.04
    Toshiba Satellite L505D - Windows 7/Ubuntu 14.04

Beans
    Distro

Lightbulb Help needed

Hi,

This article made me feel super bad and I was thinking last night a lot of what I can do about it?

I posted to the source of that article and tried to educate people over there and asked the writer to:

ZDNet, give me one good reason why should I upgrade to Windows 7 or Windows 8 and I give you 10 reasons why everyone on Windows XP must use Linux
    These words motivated me to write this: Goodbye Windows XP, Hello Linux

I put together the 'main' reasons to switch to Linux and get rid of Windows XP once and for all. These reasons, as you know, apply to any versions of Windows. I have met so many people using Windows 8 and they are sick and tired of it. They didn't know about Linux so here comes my part to enlighten them.

Long story short, if we really call ourselves FOSS Users and believe in Ubuntu's Philosophy, I think we should do something serious in these 3 coming months to reach to as many users as possible.

I am planning to create youtube videos. Contact local and non-local TV channels. Newspapers, Magazines, etc. BUT me alone? is not enough. We do need to do that as a team.

As the first step, let's make sure to spread the word and share this:
    http://amjjawad.blogspot.com/2014/01...llo-linux.html

Google+, Twitter, Facebook, etc.

If you know anyone in Real Life who still use Windows XP, send him this.
    If you have colleagues at school, college, work, etc .. send them this.
    If you know anyone who works for a magazine or anywhere that quickly spread the word, share this with them.

Our mission is simple:

"Dear Windows XP users, your system will die in 3 months and no longer be useful. Why not try Linux? there are 10 reasons why you may want to give it a go - http://amjjawad.blogspot.com/2014/01/goodbye-windows-xp-hello-linux.html"

That is all.

I will start with my neighbourhood but that is not enough. I may also contact some government offices, etc. This should no longer be online on sites, etc ... this must go to real life with a huge and vast marketing campaign.

I am dead serious to make a huge impact and migrate as many users as possible. Are you?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Why are we only going about trying to convert XP users? I switched a little before Vista came out because of the simple fact XP with all the patches was a bit buggy and slow. When Vista came out it sucked so hard I never booted into Windows again until 7. 7 did what Vista was supposed to be. Now MSFT put out the flop called 8/8.1. While great for gaming, totally bites for anything else for a real PC user. These are the folks we should be going after. The folks that complain about 8/8.1 and keep on using it. Then again, your average user just uses the OS that is already installed so they can play games on Facebook.
    Big D
    My Blog
    AMD FX 9590 Vishera/32 Gig DDR3 1866/AMD R9 290X GHz Edition
    Win8.1 Pro 64 bit/Xubuntu 15.04 Beta 1 64 bit

Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast