Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Say Goodbye to Windows XP - StartUbuntu Project

Beans

Re: Say Goodbye to Windows XP - StartUbuntu Project

There are hundres of millions of cash registers and other point-of-sale systems in the world, that run WinXP. There are hospitals and clinics where doctors and nurses walk around with tablet-PCs recording data, then plug them into docks at various workstations. Then there's tire shops, body shops, and other technical, mechanical, manufacturing environments where WinXP is used in customized worksations. Audiologists use XP machines to adjust audio levels on their patients' hearing aids. And that only begins to scratch the surface of how deep WinXP has penetrated workplaces and businesses. That's what happens when a system has been stable for over a decade, and users will resist change, even at the risk of being left without periodic security patches.

Think that population is going to put up with the instabilities of all flavors of Ubuntu (which I happen to love despite it all)? No, they need turnkey systems. Drop it in, turn it on, and it better have a minimal learning curve, and be rock solid. I'll wager the business owner, IT admin at a hospital, or any other business environment where dependability and reliability are critical, would sooner look at something like RedHat.
    Last edited by r_avital; April 24th, 2014 at 03:19 AM.
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.c...avital&t=45104
    "I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots."
    ― Albert Einstein

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Edit: Sorry, I don't have time to read all previous posts. That's why this replies to the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    Hi,

StartUbuntu Project is a Project for ALL Ubuntu Communities (Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, Ubuntu GNOME, Ubuntu Studio, Edubuntu, Mythubuntu and UbuntuKylin) and the one and only aim is to introduce the best choice for Windows XP Users and make their migration to Linux as smooth and easy as possible. It is a Community Project that IMHO, everyone should be part of this and spread the word, just as we used to do. After all, as a Linux User, you may want to give back something for Linux.
    Thanks for posting this, too.

What could be better than this?
    Honestly, I have my concerns and I have my ideas for making Ubuntu and specific software better. Principally speaking. I get that gut-feeling that things could improve. I mean, honestly, how good is it now? It is REALLY good.

And thank you to everyone behind Ubuntu for making it what it is. Cannot go without thanks!

But my own ideas demand a different thread or post. I won't expand here unless appropriate to do so. Save you the attention, space, and time. Haha.

Windows XP EOL will be April, 2014. There is no much time left. There are some users who have joined already (as this is not a recent project) and they are contributing already but the more, the better. Each user of any Ubuntu Flavour needs to promote for his best flavour and invite his Windows XP Friends to have a look at Linux and that Linux is Ubuntu or any official Flavour and we do know for a fact that Ubuntu and its official flavours are simply the best
    I think promoting goes hand in hand with respect. Duh! And, I'm not saying you or anyone else does not do it with respect. I'm just thinking around here, how I can personally go ahead with spreading the word. I'd rather hand my friends and family the ideas, concepts, and know-how, and let them make their own decision regarding Linux.

Again, though -- this comes back to how Ubuntu and specific software can improve. And yes, this also means I back Ubuntu -- because I care enough to voice improvements, like other people do.

Thank you!
    Thank you! Will have to check the site out.

poet1

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The thing to look out for is this: In older PC's its not actually the processors (Of course, assuming they are around P4 range) but the RAM. I would advise getting upgrade in RAM if possible, it costs almost nothing (At least where I live). If you do that you should be more than able to get all the functionality out of Ubuntu and many of its other family members. I've myself used XP for around 6-7 and Win 7 for 1 & 1/2 years, I first went to Ubuntu flagship and then had a taste of the few other distro's as well, my experience was quite pleasant tbh
    Probably because I'm no gamer and I don't use Auto-CAD on my home PC, but lets be honest, anyone who is shifting from old XP device is bound to be the same as its hardly usable for either in this day and age.

I'm currently using Xubuntu and I love that distro.
    Last edited by LastDino; April 26th, 2014 at 09:50 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

+1
    I would advise getting upgrade in RAM if possible
    Upgrading the ram in my old Dell laptop from 512 MB to 2 GB made all the difference in the world.
    HP | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SSD Win7 | HDD Trusty | Mate 16.04
    Dell laptop | Intel iCore 3 2.1Ghz | 4 Gb mem | MATE 16.04 + Win 7
    Regards, Pete

Beans

95.263% of computer users aren't zealots. If KingSoft Office allows them to do what they need to do, they will happily use it.
    My Grandfather said that most people who lack a sense of humour don't lack humour, they lack sense.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hi,

49 as of today, 51 to go for my first 100 machines

After I convert 100, I will make a big party and then start the next Phase of StartUbuntu Project or perhaps start it earlier

These are just my Real Life Record
    I can't remember how many people I have managed to convert online

Hope the convert project for you is working well?!

Beans

Hi amjjawad, I am planning to put lubuntu on someone's old xp machine, but I am alerted to a bug in lubuntu where the updater never notifies users for update. This bug has been around since 12.04. This would explain why some people I have installed lubuntu for never update! I think this is a major security concern for basic users who would not check for updates by themselves. I ended up telling them to update manually every week with synaptic and somewhat embrassingly (as something that I expect to work doesn't)

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1046563

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi,

49 as of today, 51 to go for my first 100 machines

After I convert 100, I will make a big party and then start the next Phase of StartUbuntu Project or perhaps start it earlier

These are just my Real Life Record
    I can't remember how many people I have managed to convert online

Hope the convert project for you is working well?!
    So far, I've converted all five of our office and home computers to Ubuntu. Four to 12.04 and one to 12.10. My Lovely Bride, who hates change and is somewhat of a technophobe, had no issues at all changing over from XP. She wasn't too happy about having to learn GIMP when she had been using Photoshop for her work for years, but she's fine with it now. (I installed 2.8 and enabled "single pane mode" and it made all the difference in the world!) I also did the Dell XPS laptop my granddaughters use and they didn't even notice! I just put all their girlie-program links back on and they're fine. But then 9-and 11-yr-olds are pretty adaptable!

We still have two machines with XP dual boot just in case we need to run something that must have Windoze to run, but so far, this has also not been an issue, so XP just quietly sits there in the computer's basement.

I'm diligently working on some friends and associates to let me help them switch, but there's a lot of resistance. Even after I let them play on one of our machines, they tell me, oh yeah, this is great! Then they still worry about being able to stick with their Windoze-dedicated programs. We need a better sales pitch, I guess!

I also hear and read a lot of concerns about being able to run Ubuntu on older machines. I've installed 12.04 on a ten-year-old Toshiba laptop (remember those old ones with the square display?) and it runs fine. It is a bit slow, but then so was XP on that machine. I also installed 12.04 on a first-edition Acer Netbook. Works great. Two of our office machines are Dell D-630s and they drive dual displays, are connected to remote keyboards, and they run all our office and publishing company apps just fine. Sometimes we have GIMP, Libre Office and several Web programs all running at the same time. No issues.

Carry on!
    Unanswered questions are far less dangerous than unquestioned answers.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Hi amjjawad, I am planning to put lubuntu on someone's old xp machine, but I am alerted to a bug in lubuntu where the updater never notifies users for update. This bug has been around since 12.04. This would explain why some people I have installed lubuntu for never update! I think this is a major security concern for basic users who would not check for updates by themselves. I ended up telling them to update manually every week with synaptic and somewhat embrassingly (as something that I expect to work doesn't)

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1046563
    Hi and thanks a lot for posting

If truth to be told, I'm not aware of this bug. But I noticed the same topic is being discussed on Lubuntu Mailing List ...

For me, I never follow any update notifier as I always update my system manually using the Terminal and I have stopped using Lubuntu for some months now. But this is definitely great post and helpful as I'm still using Lubuntu on my real life project to convert my neighbourhood. Hmm, I must be careful about this from now and on

If truth to be told, while Lubuntu has so many good features, bugs like this will definitely make me think more than twice before installing it. Why? because I'm dealing with 100% 'new' users to GNU/Linux; they have never ever heard of Linux. There are many other issues, one of them is the resolution with small display (11 inch). Still waiting for Julien to step in. And there are more.

In fact, for someone like me? I don't mind to live with the current workaround if any. BUT and a HUGE BUT ... my neighbours are:
    1. Non-Technical people.
    2. Never ever heard of GNU/Linux before nor used it (rarely, I find someone who knows).
    3. Super busy to the point they don't have time to pick their laptops from me (sometimes, I have to wait for a week).
    4. Because of #3 they have no time to learn new stuff and depend on me 90% to answer their Qs
    5. Because I'm converting many people (so far 49), I don't have time and I can't do the workaround for all of them at the same time - this is an overkill for me at the moment.

Mainly, these are the reasons that I must be careful and select the right system for them.

I haven't yet used Ubuntu, Kubuntu nor anything else. My choices are always: Ubuntu GNOME, Xubuntu and Lubuntu (because I know about these more and I use them daily or used them before).

I'm planning to write some blog post about my real life experience with StartUbuntu. I must admit, I have learned a lot and I'm not just talking about the technical learning, I'm talking about everything in general once I find some time (so many projects, no time even to shave), I will write and share it.

Sometimes, I feel all these projects are overkill and I wish I could be free for a week but every time I think about how FOSS and GNU/Linux could change the life or someone like it did with me, I can't stop spreading the word. The success of StartUbuntu in real life in my case was over 90% and it is very impressive.

Thank you for promoting for StartUbuntu. The best help our project got was from Xubuntu Team. Lyz has done a lot and I appreciate that. Still hope and wait for the other flavours to step in
    Last edited by amjjawad; May 16th, 2014 at 11:24 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Because I'm converting many people (so far 49), I don't have time and I can't do the workaround for all of them at the same time - this is an overkill for me at the moment.
    imagine now movien 5000+ PC's from WinXP to linux frankly some of the bugs are a bit silly and should be picked up and solved ASAP. i mean plenty of them include stuff people would normaly do so it's hard for me to understand they od not get picked during testing periods.

furthermore Kubuntu (if menu is set to classic) look a lot like windows. it's not just the look it'sd also the way things are done, changed, desktop is setup, the way "control panel" is setup, the ay how you can do almost all via GUI... it has cool and beneficial deskotp effects for those that can handle it. KDE has it's own ofice suite. i've been using it for some time and many features are still undiscovered and still suprise me when i find them. they improved really a lot and seem to listen to user "complaints", suggestions, ideas. most of all i find that best GUI applications are based on qt and in KDE.

for those with older maschines disabling the special desktop effects speeds it all up and makes it all very snappy and still beautiful even on those maschines.

and form all this i have great hopes in new LXQT project. excelent GUI qt based apps on a light qt desktop. what better for an older maschine?!?

Gnome hides features in user GUI as to not overwhelm the users with options. KDE doesn't hide them but presents them. however they imrpoved a lot that these presented features are presented in a way that in my opinion is not overwhelming at all yet they are still available. use of tabs, separation of options etc. will have you see but a few options on each screen.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Page 31 of 34 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast