Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: Say Goodbye to Windows XP - StartUbuntu Project

Beans

Re: Say Goodbye to Windows XP - StartUbuntu Project

Quote Originally Posted by SurfaceUnits View Post
    Well, when one has to read a highly formatted Word document on a nixbox, KingSoft is the only solution that come close. May be one could get a SkyDrive account and read it that way.
    Well most people wouldn't need to read highlty formatted word documents. That is even for people who use Word a lot for publishing in academic journals, I know that because I work with such people. LO is completely adequate for what they do, but there is an inertia because faculties get MSO practically free (of course the Uni pays MS out of another stash) If they have to pay out of their own pockets I think there will be a lot more conversions.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; April 13th, 2014 at 11:04 PM.

Beans

I just opened a flyer I use for business in LO 4.2.3.3 and it looks like ****. In KSO it needed a bit tweaking but is usable.
    My Grandfather said that most people who lack a sense of humour don't lack humour, they lack sense.

Beans

Just did another XP replacement on an old Compaq. Just needed an nVidia 6200 board and Xubuntu with KingSoft Office.
    My Grandfather said that most people who lack a sense of humour don't lack humour, they lack sense.

Beans

I just opened a flyer I use for business in LO 4.2.3.3 and it looks like ****. In KSO it needed a bit tweaking but is usable.
    So you made the flyer yourself? Since it is for your business you have a choice for its format and the tool you create it with. Why did you make in MSO? Also I suppose a flyer should not change so why not make it in odf and export to pdf?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi to Everybody!

I'm frequently using at home Lubuntu 13.10 from the last november, installed on a 1999 computer (so, from the last century!!) with 676mb ram, a Pentium 4 (Willamette, 1,6ghz) and a nvidia riva tnt2 graphic card.... the computer has come to me as 'potential trash' from a customer of mine, it had Windows XP (and previously Win 98) and with this configuration it was unusable: now I can even see Youtube video (not in full screen, obviously) and I'm quite proud of this installation... With XP it was impossible to use it for web surfing or even to run something else than Wordpad! Now Libreoffice runs quite well... From that experience I've then installed Lubuntu also on other, more recent machines: for me actually is the best OS since it doesn't change too much the way to work and it allows a gradual approach to Linux...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by stilnovo1 View Post
    Lubuntu 13.10 installed on a 1999 computer with 676mb ram, a Pentium 4 and a nvidia riva tnt2 graphic card
    just wondering: are you using the default "nouveau" driver? Works fine withs TNT2? If yes, lucky you! And a pity that the TNT2 is better than a Geforce2 to 4 whose display is broken on Lubuntu 13.10 ( http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2168979 which refer to the bug with Nouveau drivers: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=51477 )

Beans

Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

14.04 is almost here and the French police will be converting 70000 computers to it from XP.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...xp-alternative

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by C.S.Cameron View Post
    14.04 is almost here and the French police will be converting 70000 computers to it from XP.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/...xp-alternative
    Interesting

I wonder about the hardware specs of those computers, how many of them that actually will run well with standard Ubuntu. Or if it will be some tailor-made Ubuntu.
    Last edited by sudodus; April 16th, 2014 at 06:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Just did another XP replacement on an old Compaq. Just needed an nVidia 6200 board and Xubuntu with KingSoft Office.
    Looks like KSO is getting pushed
    Shortened urls: See point #11 here. And clicking on them could be risky.

Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 182627282930 ... LastLast