Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Say Goodbye to Windows XP - StartUbuntu Project

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Say Goodbye to Windows XP - StartUbuntu Project

Ciao from Italy!

Well, the main problem is that, once installed the 12.04.0 from alternate (it goes smooth without any problem), the system is not loaded and it remains only a dark screen: I suppose Xserver freezes there, although I have configurated a formally correct xorg.conf settings for openchrome. I've already learnt how to do with the "nice" Nvidia Riva TNT 2, other unpleasant hardware that I've found on 4 Pcs in our company!! The Xserver log is a precious informations' source about this!

Erick, I've done all the installations with a connected power cable and with a wired connection, so I'm quite hopeless! I've followed every instruction you gave me (no updates, 12.04.1 and 12.04.0 iso etc.). By the way, you are right, Ubuntu DE is very pleasant, I think I'll install it very soon but my colleagues prefer something more traditional and less effective on the system resource... so we come back also to LXDE!

Jokes aside, this is an interesting world, on one of those company's pcs I've installed KDE together with LXDE, and to me it seems to have different computers! But now I have to solve this problems... Some days ago I installed also Bleachbit: I've found it very similar to CCleaner for Windows world.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    For several days (weeks) I have seen no mini.iso

Also now when following your link I get
    Yeah, it seems the QA Tracker is a hot mess, but these links to the mini.iso should work if the kernel has been upgraded:

http://www.fr.php.net/ubuntu/dists/t...mages/netboot/

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Yeah, it seems the QA Tracker is a hot mess, but these links to the mini.iso should work if the kernel has been upgraded:

They work

Thanks a lot kansasnoob

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

ciao from Italy!

Well, after I have read the nice sudodus' tutorial he wrote about Lubuntu-fake-pae, and since I have a Dothan CPU, I have looked for a distro that could have an installation without PAE feature.
    Hardinfo gave me pae feature in the list, but I've seen in many forums that this is a controversial issue.
    So I've tried to install, after sudodus' suggestions, Bodhi Linux 32 bits but the non-pae version.
    Ok, now I'm writing from the hateful Amilo 7320 with correct screen resolution, correct colours and with an incredible speed (lshw doesn't give me the openchrome driver, but it works!).
    Some strange things have occurred, mainly the one that during the installation I had to continously press an any key as I've already written in one of my past posts here, otherwise the installation freezes.
    The impact with Body has been a little bit hard, but now the system runs quite well.
    Excuse me for the probably silly question, but should I open a post regarding this laptop? We have bought it (them) in 2007, so I don't think it's so old (is it?).

@ sudodus: in your opinion, may I try to install beside to Bodhi a new Ubuntu 12.04 installation following the procedure you have described? I imagine I cannot install Unity as a DE via the terminal in Bodhi, or can I? I imagined to do a new partition and then a new Precise installation....
    anyway, it's hard life! I imagine that there will be other Amilo 7320 owners that will pass from XP to 'other', so this could be useful to facilitate this complicated migration towards Ubuntu of Lubuntu or (why not?) Kubuntu 12.04 (14.04?)....
    Last edited by stilnovo1; February 15th, 2014 at 01:20 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by stilnovo1 View Post
    ciao from Italy!

Well, after I have read the nice sudodus' tutorial he wrote about Lubuntu-fake-pae, and since I have a Dothan CPU, I have looked for a distro that could have an installation without PAE feature.
    Hardinfo gave me pae feature in the list, but I've seen in many forums that this is a controversial issue.
    So I've tried to install, after sudodus' suggestions, Bodhi Linux 32 bits but the non-pae version.
    Ok, now I'm writing from the hateful Amilo 7320 with correct screen resolution, correct colours and with an incredible speed (lshw doesn't give me the openchrome driver, but it works!).
    Some strange things have occurred, mainly the one that during the installation I had to continously press an any key as I've already written in one of my past posts here, otherwise the installation freezes.
    The impact with Body has been a little bit hard, but now the system runs quite well.
    Excuse me for the probably silly question, but should I open a post regarding this laptop? We have bought it (them) in 2007, so I don't think it's so old (is it?).
    I think it is better to have a thread, that is dedicated to your problems with this laptop. It makes it easier to keep those specific posts apart from all other StartUbuntu Project posts, and it might also attract new helpers. Make a 'transfer post' in this thread with a link to that new thread (when you have started it).
    @ sudodus: in your opinion, may I try to install beside to Bodhi a new Ubuntu 12.04 installation following the procedure you have described? I imagine I cannot install Unity as a DE via the terminal in Bodhi, or can I? I imagined to do a new partition and then a new Precise installation....
    anyway, it's hard life! I imagine that there will be other Amilo 7320 owners that will pass from XP to 'other', so this could be useful to facilitate this complicated migration towards Ubuntu of Lubuntu or (why not?) Kubuntu 12.04 (14.04?)....
    Yes you can make a small partition of say 12 GB and install whatever distro, flavour, re-spin of linux, that you want to test. Alternatively, you can test it on an external drive. A fast USB 3 pendrive or a USB hard disk drive is good enough for such installations too, if you do not want to mess with the internal drive. See these links

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...n/FromUSBStick

One Button Installer, 'OBI'

Howto help USB boot drives

and of course the Lubuntu-fake-PAE link. Many of the tarballs of the OBI will run with non-pae CPUs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi,

Good news is:
    http://xubuntu.org/news/xubuntu-mark...tubuntu-flyer/

Xubuntu Team seems to be the only 'interested' team to spread the word of StartUbuntu and Xubuntu at the same time and they seem so serious to offer Xubuntu as Windows XP alternative (which as per my own personal real life experience, it is indeed one of the strongest options for many reasons) and I personally highly appreciate their great efforts and I'm helping them both in real life and on the internet as much as I can.

Bad news is:
    Other flavours are not doing anything serious as of now. Yes, many are interested but very few contributions.

Really, it is not a rocket science
    Everything you need is here. If you wish to support your favourite Ubuntu variant, then what are you waiting for? clock is ticking

I am not going to contact each and every Ubuntu Community. If they wish to spread the word of their own flavour, that is good and if they don't, that is their call.

I'm personally wishing all the best to Xubuntu Team for what they're doing - great job really.
    I wish all the other flavours will do that same.

P.S.
    I can only keep nagging Alfredo (Ubuntu GNOME Artwork Team Leader) to do the same for Ubuntu GNOME

Beans

I installed the Xubuntu 14.04 alpha2 to a computer last night, and it looks to be a very strong release. Nice looking distro too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Hi,

I'm very puzzled. I'm, really. Why the world is wasting their time?

I feel so bad and sad about this

This article: http://zd.net/1hbxAKs
    Made me so bad.

I am not sure if this is right or wrong, healthy or not but IMHO, this is a totally waste of time. I know we can't force everyone to use Linux, this is just can't happen but what I mean is, people are wasting their time with endless discussion, buy the headache, waste their money, efforts, energy, etc etc ... for what? over Windows XP? really? sigh!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    Hi,

I'm very puzzled. I'm, really. Why the world is wasting their time?

I feel so bad and sad about this
    People hate changes. Even on these forums there were folks showing up not long ago wondering why their lucid or Karmic (Karmic???!!!) machines weren't working and would rather resorting to some weird work arounds to hang on to their dead OSes instead of simply installing a supported version of Ubuntu.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; February 20th, 2014 at 11:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by amjjawad View Post
    Windows XP EOL will be April, 2014. There is no much time left.
    It's not going to stop working all of a sudden.

More FUD, I fear.
    Windows XP going EOL, I do not.
    Windows assumes the user is an idiot.
    Linux demands proof.

Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast