Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Say Goodbye to Windows XP - StartUbuntu Project

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Say Goodbye to Windows XP - StartUbuntu Project

Hi sudodus!

Thanks for your reply. The distros you reported to me are very interesting, but I am afraid of that the main problems are my chipset (VIA P4M800) in combination with openchrome driver from one side and the HWE from the other... so, maybe, I will find these problems on every distro. Is this correct or am I wrong?

Beans
    Hidden!

Maybe, maybe not. It only costs the time to try. Download the iso, flash it to a USB drive and run a live session. If successful try installation.

Beans
    Hidden!

There is a distro, that is known to be exceptionally good at recognizing old hardware, Knoppix. But it is made to run from a live drive (typically but not necessarily a USB pendrive). You can make a "poor man's install" which corresponds to frugal install or a persistent live system. So if nothing else works, you can resort to Knoppix. (I don't know if it would be accepted by your colleagues at work, but for a system at home, it should be OK).

http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html

Beans

I'm actually thinking of two things:

(1) If you still have Ubuntu 12.04 installed and updated try installing only the package 'lubuntu-core'. It has a light foot print:

Code:
    lance@lance-desktop:~$ sudo apt-get install lubuntu-core
    [sudo] password for lance: 
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
      libgle3
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    The following extra packages will be installed:
      elementary-icon-theme galculator giblib1 gnome-icon-theme-full libfm-data
      libfm-gtk-data libfm-gtk1 libfm1 libid3tag0 libimlib2 libmenu-cache1
      libobrender27 libobt0 lightdm-gtk-greeter lubuntu-artwork
      lubuntu-artwork-12-04 lubuntu-default-settings lubuntu-icon-theme
      lxmenu-data lxpanel lxsession lxshortcut obconf openbox openbox-themes
      pcmanfm plymouth-theme-lubuntu-logo plymouth-theme-lubuntu-text scrot
      xscreensaver xscreensaver-data
    Suggested packages:
      gpicview lxde-common menu ttf-dejavu libxml2-dev xfishtank xdaliclock
      xscreensaver-gl fortune qcam streamer gdm3 kdm-gdmcompat
    Recommended packages:
      amixer
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      elementary-icon-theme galculator giblib1 gnome-icon-theme-full libfm-data
      libfm-gtk-data libfm-gtk1 libfm1 libid3tag0 libimlib2 libmenu-cache1
      libobrender27 libobt0 lightdm-gtk-greeter lubuntu-artwork
      lubuntu-artwork-12-04 lubuntu-core lubuntu-default-settings
      lubuntu-icon-theme lxmenu-data lxpanel lxsession lxshortcut obconf openbox
      openbox-themes pcmanfm plymouth-theme-lubuntu-logo
      plymouth-theme-lubuntu-text scrot xscreensaver xscreensaver-data
    0 upgraded, 32 newly installed, 0 to remove and 3 not upgraded.
    Need to get 15.3 MB of archives.
    After this operation, 62.6 MB of additional disk space will be used.
    Then log into the Lubuntu session.

(2) Try LXLE:

http://lxle.net/

But wait until I have time to check out LXLE 12.04.4 because I'm not sure if they opted into the HWE stack or not

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by stilnovo1 View Post
    @ kansasnoob

After your posts in Launchpad, I've understood the problem regarding the support for HWE. Initially I didn't understand that every following version of Precise has got the HWE of Quantal (12.04.2), Raring (12.04.3) and Saucy (12.04.4). The link you've provided to me is very clear about this.

So, the last saturday the weather in Italy was very bad and I decided (to try) to format Kubuntu 12.04.4 (I got it from lsb_release -a) and to install a 12.04.1 iso. But the results weren't good, as probably you've already read in the lauchpad page of 'our' bug...

The frustrating aspect is that with the Livecd session speed, colours, resolution of the graphics are correct (even for 12.04.4), but during the installation something goes wrong. The most curious thing is that while installing Ubuntu 12.04.0 (the only one I was successful), the installation stops until you don't press any key, and it restarts (if you don't keep a finger on a key it's a continous 'stop and go')... but the installation goes wrong anyway, the graphic that was so nice with Livecd session doesn't work after (during the load the screen becomes dark).
    So, the only solution I've found until now to see something on the screen is to put vesa driver in the conf.org file.
    With vesa the colours are correct but quite faded, and the maximum screen resolution is lower (from WXGA to XGA). In the livecd session, where I imagine that the loaded system is simpler than the installed one, screen resolution and colours are perfect.
    Another curiosity: the only installation (I've tried about 11 different installations...) with correct graphic is Kubuntu 12.04.1... it often crashes, it's generally slower but graphic is WXGA and colours are ok (until it works).

So, I'm now worried for the result I've to expect from 14.04. We have in our Company a total of 6 identical computers like this, although in 2007 laptops were more expensive than now it was considered quite chip (550 euros - about 752USD expended) in that times. Now with the same price level you have better pcs, in 2007 the slump didn't exist.... many people in Italy, even in big companies, don't seriously consider the problem of the end of the extended assistance in XP from Microsoft. Many times you hear answers as "oh, well, we'll install a better antivirus(!!)" or "we don't surf on dangerous websites...".
    Luckily in the Company where I work they listen to me, so now we're seriously trying to study the situation mainly putting beside in a dual boot configuration Xp with ..... (fill in the dots!!). I love Lxde desktop, it's elegant, nice, fast, simple, modern and Lubuntu gives me the chance to have a complete ready working environment with good repositories. And it works with old computers, making them resuscitated. Infact the desktop Pcs with Lubuntu 13.10 are working very well, the users that are testing it consider it very pleasable. I've understood that this year the support for it will end, but I'm confident that 14.04 will work on them (I hope).

But for those "delightful" Amilo I really don't know what to do: I cannot give to a colleague a thing like that one I've installed. I'm using it, but not everybody can appreciate the fact that now they have something that works quite well with XP, while tomorrow I can only propose faded graphic and lower screen resolution for their laptops!
    The result, then, will be that we continue to buy Pcs with Windows inside, since the experience of today could be not very good with Linux world. It's a pity, in Italy we say 'it's a dog that bites its own tail'!

Well, I don't know how and where to post this problem, it's from now only 5 months I'm approaching this interesting world, so if you can help me....

thaks in advance!
    OK, you really love LXDE/Lubuntu - please see the highlighted text above. I happen to prefer a different DE but no problem

I'd earlier recommended trying either installing 'lubuntu-core' in Ubuntu Precise (either 12.04 or 12.04.1) or trying the latest LXLE.

Well I tested LXLE 12.04.4 on this hardware:

VIA C7 CPU @ 1500MHz
    VIA CN700/P4M800 Pro/P4M800 CE/VN800 Graphics [S3 UniChrome Pro] (rev 01)
    VIA VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 60)
    Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT6102 [Rhine-II] (rev 78)
    1GB DDR2 RAM

The good news is that it works great so they opted out of the HWE stack. (BTW Xubuntu did the same).

The bad news is that I have a major problem with them enabling "proposed-updates" by default! I do a lot of SRU testing and I can assure you that having "proposed-updates" enabled will eventually bork your system!!!! So if you decide to use LXLE please disable the "proposed-updates" immediately after installation!!!!

And, as previously mentioned, DO NOT choose to download updates during installation!

I'm also a bit concerned because they include 'bleachbit' as a default app. I maintain quite a few machines and I find it capable of really breaking things if end users don't know what they're doing

I'm also concerned about your problems with the installer (ubiquity) and grub. Since you're working with laptops are you using both a wired power source and a wired internet connection?

Installation, particularly in a dual/multi-boot does require a bit of knowledge and grub can be problematic if you don't know exactly what you're doing

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I'm also a bit concerned because they include 'bleachbit' as a default app. I maintain quite a few machines and I find it capable of really breaking things if end users don't know what they're doing
    Can you please clarify what is meant by "they"? AFAIK, Lubuntu does not install bleachbit by default. I don't know about LXLE.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Can you please clarify what is meant by "they"? AFAIK, Lubuntu does not install bleachbit by default. I don't know about LXLE.
    Right, it's a choice made by LXLE. A choice I dislike, so of the two choices I provided I would install either Ubuntu 12.04 or 12.04.1, then I'd install 'lubuntu-core' and login to Lubuntu

Can't say I'm a huge fan of LXDE

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hating on it! We just all have opinions and I'd personally always start with Ubuntu and apply my own tweaks.

Beans
    Hidden!

Have you noticed that the Ubuntu mini.iso seems to be replaced by a tarball in Trusty Tahr?

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-core/daily/current/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    Have you noticed that the Ubuntu mini.iso seems to be replaced by a tarball in Trusty Tahr?

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-core/daily/current/
    Uh, 'ubuntu-core' and the Netboot image are two different things:

http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/qatracker/m...nes/308/builds

But a few hours ago the netboot image had the wrong kernel - it takes a few hours some times for things to get in sync

Beans
    Hidden!

For several days (weeks) I have seen no mini.iso

Also now when following your link I get

Not Found

The requested URL /ubuntu/dists/trusty/main/installer-i386/20101020ubuntu278/images/netboot/mini.iso was not found on this server.

Apache/2.2.22 (Ubuntu) Server at archive.ubuntu.com Port 80

Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast