Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fix for making bootable Ubuntu Live USB with persistence using Unetbootin on a Mac

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Fix for making bootable Ubuntu Live USB with persistence using Unetbootin on a Ma

Glad to hear the flash drive now boots at least
    As far as your new installation goes I take it you're trying to install it in EFI mode.
    Also you need to make sure that your Mac is using GPT solely - as in no hybrid mbr (which is what a previous BootCamp partition will have created - if you've had one) as going past 4 partitions with a hybrid mbr can be dodgy.

Did you install grub? I elected to select "try Ubuntu" first then ran "ubiquity -b" in the terminal so that grub would not be installed at all (rather than just setting the Ubuntu installer loose).
    Then, once installed I booted into OSX and installed rEFInd and placed rEFInd's ext4fs driver in a new folder called drivers which I placed in EFI/Boot iirc - I can check that later.

Did you press the Alt key whilst re-booting the Mac?
    Last edited by Quackers; October 2nd, 2013 at 05:28 PM.
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans

Re: Fix for making bootable Ubuntu Live USB with persistence using Unetbootin on a Ma

Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    Glad to hear the flash drive now boots at least
    As far as your new installation goes I take it you're trying to install it in EFI mode.
    Also you need to make sure that your Mac is using GPT solely - as in no hybrid mbr (which is what a previous BootCamp partition will have created - if you've had one) as going past 4 partitions with a hybrid mbr can be dodgy.

Did you install grub? I elected to select "try Ubuntu" first then ran "ubiquity -b" in the terminal so that grub would not be installed at all (rather than just setting the Ubuntu installer loose).
    Then, once installed I booted into OSX and installed rEFInd and placed rEFInd's ext4fs driver in a new folder called drivers which I placed in EFI/Boot iirc - I can check that later.

Did you press the Alt key whilst re-booting the Mac?
    I didn't understand quite right what you've done with the ext4fs driver and what is the "iirc". What i understood for the ext4fs driver: you've moved the file /efi/EFI/boot/drivers_x64/ext4_x64.efi to the new folder /efi/EFI/boot/drivers_x64/drivers/ext4_x64.efi ?

Also i tried the Alt key, and returned an icon of a hdd with the title: "EFI Boot", choose it and load mac os again. I just can't recall what i did differently and now i lost the boot options and i'm unable to reformat the partitions...

maybe that "ubiquity -b", after the first installation would be the key to the solution.

PS: I'm setting up a vm until i find what to do, thank you for your time and effort anyway
    Last edited by sthrss; October 2nd, 2013 at 06:51 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi, iirc means if I recall correctly.
    Sadly I've re-installed OSX since I did that with the ext4fs driver so can't check that now.
    I think I moved the driver to a new folder called "Drivers" which I created but I can't remember where exactly
    I think you may find more details on the rEFInd site about installing the driver.

What matters more for the moment is your drive's partition scheme - GPT with a protective mbr or GPT with a hybrid mbr. That should be checked first.
    Then it matters how you've installed Ubuntu and where grub is and in what form.

When you Alt booted what other symbols were shown?
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans

Thanks for the advice i'll start with the rEFInd documentation

After the Alt there was only the hdd icon entitled "efi boot".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Really? No Macintosh HD or Recovery HD?

Well If you're going over to rods books site (rEFInd) download and install disk and run it to see what your partitions look like and see whether you have protective mbr or hybrid mbr.
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans

Sorry i sound like a complete noob, but i dont know what exactly i need to do when we get to 'cd' the mbr.bin im a little confused could you help me?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Which version and file type of Syslinux did you download and where did it download to?

If you downloaded syslinux 6.01.zip to your Downloads folder you can extract the zip file there.
    Then in the terminal do
    Code:
    cd /Downloads/syslinux-6/bios/mbr
    You should see your terminal prompt change to that.
    You can then run the sudo dd command in the terminal changing the /dev/diskX entry to the correct one for your USB drive - i.e. /dev/disk1, perhaps.
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans

Hey Quackers,

I have just tried going through your steps and it was going great until the unetbootin step. Once I input all required information including boot.iso path and persistence size in MB and then click OK button, nothing happens. It doesn't start the process of creating the live USB at all. I could just sit there clicking OK over and over but nothing happens at all. I am using Mac OSX 10.8.5 (Lion) and the Mac version of Unetbootin version 585. Also the boot.iso I have is Linux Mint, not Ubuntu, but that shouldn't make a difference here right?

Ever seen this at all? Any advice? Maybe look for older versions of unetbootin to test with?

Thanks and let me know if you have any suggestions!
    Last edited by j.stopak; November 7th, 2013 at 03:23 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

It's not always apparent that unetbootin has started working, even though it has.
    Have you tried looking at the running processes once you have clicked on the OK button?

I haven't tried it with a Linux Mint iso so I don't really have any suggestions for you I'm afraid.
    MacBook Pro 10,1 retina

Beans

I have not been able to get this to work at all :/. I have a macbook pro 8.1 with AMD Radeon card... Can anyone help out a fellow mac user? I want to run a usb distro to keep my personal files separate from my host machine. I tried following your guide but mountian lion just ends up saying "this disk is unreadable".
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2186318

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast