Re: Ubuntu Rolling Development

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    After updates, if it includes a linux image, I do:
    sudo apt-get purge linux-image-3.10.0-7 or whatever ls /boot shows
    sudo apt-get purge linux-headers-3.10.0-7
    sudo apt-get clean
    sudo apt-get autoclean
    sudo apt-get autoremove

Still lately after install then a couple weeks of daily updates the disk image from df shows 500,000 more bytes used. Maybe there are some big fat logs somewhere?
    You should check /var/log just like cariboo already suggested. I had there files larger than 1 GB. You can check it from terminal with this command:

Code:
    find /var/log -size +100000k
    This will search for files larger than 100 MB.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@craig10x

A bit off topic...but i was curious about "mir"...I read many articles that it is shipping with 13.10 release and i do see it when i check in the synaptic package manager (though it does not appear to be installed)...
    There is a lot of confusion about Mir. In one sense xmir is Mir, or at least it is part of Mir. Xmir replaces Xserver. At present we get xmir when we install unity-system-compositor. It is this that is in the repositories and it is this that will be default in the final release of 13.10.

From some experiments trying to load xmir on Ubuntu Gnome I came to the conclusion that Lightdm has been patched to load xmir or xserver. Whereas, gdm has not been patched in this way. Install lightdm on Ubuntu Gnome and then unity-system-compositor and xmir will load instead of xserver but continue to use gdm and xserver loads. Installing lightdm on Ubuntu Gnome will bring in Unity as an alternative desktop and the standard Ubuntu login screen instead of the Ubuntu Gnome login screen, as well.

I have also found out that Lightdm does more than manage the login screen. It is a display manager and it manages the xserver and now also the xmir server. This will be the situation on release of 13.10.

As for Mir as the display manager, and not just the xmir server, that will come with the release of 13.10. Mir will replace Xserver, Lightdm, and Compiz.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; September 25th, 2013 at 04:37 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    @craig10x

There is a lot of confusion about Mir. In one sense xmir is Mir, or at least it is part of Mir. Xmir replaces Xserver. At present we get xmir when we install unity-system-compositor. It is this that is in the repositories and it is this that will be default in the final release of 13.10.

From some experiments trying to load xmir on Ubuntu Gnome I came to the conclusion that Lightdm has been patched to load xmir or xserver. Whereas, gdm has not been patched in this way. Install lightdm on Ubuntu Gnome and then unity-system-compositor and xmir will load instead of xserver but continue to use gdm and xserver loads. Installing lightdm on Ubuntu Gnome will bring in Unity as an alternative desktop and the standard Ubuntu login screen instead of the Ubuntu Gnome login screen, as well.

I have also found out that Lightdm does more than manage the login screen. It is a display manager and it manages the xserver and now also the xmir server. This will be the situation on release of 13.10.

As for Mir as the display manager, and not just the xmir server, that will come with the release of 13.10. Mir will replace Xserver, Lightdm, and Compiz.

Regards.
    That was really informative ! I was in all confusion about this xmir business too. I think I read somewhere that the flavors are not coming with xmir in 13.10.

I never checked what came with my Ubuntu Studio 13.10 alpha and kept updating it, still am (guess itz beta now).
    On top of the Ubuntu Studio I installed Gnome-desktop complete, with GDM and all. Whatever the servers the dependencies seem well resolved as there is no problem in my install. I am using UbuntuStudio with Gnome desktop exclusively now.

And, if I am not mistaken I read in your other post that anyways fglrx doesn't co-exist with xmir, and I have to use fglrx for my Radeon 6480 GPU.
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh
    'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I like things to be specific and accurate. So, when someone's blog says that mir will be default in 13.10 I do not like it. Mir will be default in 14.10. This is just the way I am.

Yes, at the moment xmir will only work if we use open source video drivers. I last installed saucy salamander from the daily build of 15 September and the xmir code did not install by default. I had to install unity-system-compositor to get it. So, I am certain that your install of Ubuntu Studio 13.10 will not have the xmir code. If GDM is the display manager then it would only manage Xserver and not load xmir even if it was installed. I guess that Ubuntu Studio originally used lightdm like the other flavours because in the middle of July I installed Ubuntu Studio and was able to get it running on xmir.

I feel that there has been a lot of unnecessary fuss over Ubuntu having xmir and certain flavours not having xmir. It is full Mir that is the great change. Mir will contain code to handle X applications and even Wayland applications. The decision to develop Mir has put a fire under the Wayland developers. They have gone from predicting that it would take years to develop MIr to racing to beat Mir to the desktop. Gnome.org has just announced that Gnome version 3.10 has some preliminary Wayland code. I think this is what is meant when people say that Ubuntu is disruptive.

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; September 25th, 2013 at 09:52 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Also...when is Unity 8 supposed to be the default in ubuntu? Is it 14.04 or 14.10?

Beans
    Distro

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by e-Tiggy View Post
    Thanks

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    I like things to be specific and accurate.
    But as accurate as this is (watch full) it doesn't help the situation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1lSCI0bO_c

The decision to develop Mir has put a fire under the Wayland developers. They have gone from predicting that it would take years to develop MIr to racing to beat Mir to the desktop. Gnome.org has just announced that Gnome version 3.10 has some preliminary Wayland code. I think this is what is meant when people say that Ubuntu is disruptive.

Regards.
    ..and has caused division now and probably will proceed with the rolling releases.. I have thought that this whole stink of a mess could of been handled more professionally on both sides of the isle, especially from leaders and movers and shakers in the field - or , unless we all think that nVidia Corp and Linus are going to forgive and forget? Who knows... but it makes Ubuntu a hard sell to new users and also makes it appear clique.

For the sake of the possible ensuing fallout I hedged my bets on Intel chipsets and graphics which seems to be transitioning smoothly through the whole heap of beans.

Regards..
    This is Convergence
    Ubuntu Development Version Testing Blog Remarks
    Running 16.04 on Mobo: MSI model: B85-G41 PC Mate(MS-7850) v: 1.0

Beans

Thanks for the link!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678