Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Rolling Development

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Ubuntu Rolling Development

Well, only about a month now until 13.10 is finalized...I was wondering if anyone has heard anything new about the symlink the developers were supposed to be working on since the conference when they decided that development IS considered the Rolling Release (even Mark Shuttleworth made that comment as such) and they were going to create a simple symlink that would make it easier to "roll" from each development version into the next (without having to fuss with source lists or doing an actual "upgrade")...

I realized at the time they decided this that it would not be ready in time for the switch over from 12.10 to 13.04 but it has been like 6 months since that time, so i would think that they would have something ready in time for the switch to from 13.10 development to 14.04 development...

So any new information would be appreciated

Also, if any of the moderators, or participators on the ubuntu forums have any contacts with any of the ubuntu developers and might be able to get some information from them and post it here, would also be appreciated as well...

I found changing the source lists to be a bit too tricky and technical for me personally (and had messed up when i tried) so i would not want to do that again....
    If the symlink isn't ready for the switch, i will use one of the early "daily build 14.04s" and do the upgrade from the iso (which is how i moved from 13.04 to 13.10 development)
    But of course, it would be great if we could get that easier symlink method by then...because it will simply "point" to each next version automatically...

My main questions are:
    1) will the "symlink" or whatever it is be ready in time for the 14.04 change over?
    2) how would it be done by the user? Is it just a simple matter of typing in a command or two in the terminal?
    3) How will the Ubuntu Community be notified of when it can be done and the instructions on how to do it?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can get any new information about this...
    Last edited by craig10x; September 14th, 2013 at 05:01 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: Ubuntu Rolling Development

By the way...i did some googling on the topic and it was hard to find recent updates on this subject...however i did find this blog that was posted by one of the developers who was at the summer conference and posted this information on June 24th:

During the last Ubuntu vUDS Rick Spencer was tasked with finding a good
    name for the new development series alias which would allow users to
    stick to whatever is the current development release (or to use it as an
    upload target).

Rick came up with "rolling" as the suggested name. After

a bit of discussion between the present TB members, it appears the
    members prefer "next" instead.

The main concern about using "rolling" is added confusion with regard

to the how Ubuntu is developed as it'd surely be interpreted by some as
    Ubuntu being on a Rolling Release schedule which it's not.

The Technical Board didn't make a final decision on the name though as
    Rick couldn't attend the meeting himself to defend his proposal.

As a
    result, the Technical Board feels that Colin should go ahead with the
    implementation of the feature in Launchpad but not put it live until
    after our next meeting (8th of July) so to leave until that time for
    Rick to defend his proposal (on our mailing-list or at our next meeting)
    or for someone else to propose a better name. In any case, we expect to
    make a final decision on the matter on the 8th.
    Last edited by craig10x; September 14th, 2013 at 05:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2172898

devel repo symlink is already there according to that?

Beans
    Distro

@jmb74: Yes, that is probably it...however, they would still need to let us know what command(s) we would need to enter in the terminal to switch over to the "devel" symlink...

I doubt it would be automatic, as i would imagine that some may just want the development version to finalized (as normally happens) where as others may want to set up their development to actually "roll on" to each new version...so some kind of manual entry will no doubt be required...and that is what we will need to know...
    Last edited by craig10x; September 14th, 2013 at 08:05 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

So, here is a test for someone who is bored. Put in an install of Saucy and change the repositories from saucy to devel and then do a dist-upgrade and see if anything changes or breaks. In theory or to put it another way, guessing, what is in the devel repositories should be exactly the same as what is at present in the saucy repositories. How bored will I be tomorrow?

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Well doing that with 'devel' gives me exactly the same on a dist-upgrade as 'saucy' in the sources.list

Beans
    Distro

Interesting...although the whole idea is to make it so you do not have to change the sources list...so that is what i am wondering...
    Assuming those devel packages we see on that link page (which duplicates everything you see at the bottom where the saucy packages are listed) how will we change our source from saucy to devel (thus putting us on that symlink) WITHOUT having to actually manually change our source lists???

That is what i would like to know...

Beans

I asked this question some times ago on Ubuntu Forum and was told basically that the idea was scrapped and that new installation will be required though I don't remember any source was cited. I can't find the thread now as it might be before the UF meltdown (and I typed in the wrong user name when reregistered,--note the extra "2",-- so can't even dig it up from my old posts). Anyway I am going to stick with 13.04 til eol, it is the best Ubuntu release for me so far, don't want to risk f^^king up a good thing until I have to upgrade, wish they make 13.04 the LTR instead of 12.04.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; September 14th, 2013 at 08:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro

monkeybrain20122 i had upgraded (using the iso) from 13.04 to 13.10 development and i must tell you it's as solid as 13.04 and continues to improve so it's kind of like 13.04 Plus (lol)...
    I was going to just do upgrades (using the iso method) from 13.04 stable to 13.10 stable to 14.04 stable, etc...but now that i am actually back in development again, i figured i might as well try rolling with it...

Would still like to know how it's going to be done....i don't recall seeing anything about the symlink idea being scrapped...they did scrap the idea of a rolling release but decided they would make a development symlink so it could just point at each new version instead of needing to change the source lists each time...

The developers as well as Mark now consider development the rolling version of ubuntu due to the great improvements in automatic quality control checking on the updates which is now quite excellent....
    Last edited by craig10x; September 14th, 2013 at 08:56 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    monkeybrain20122 i had upgraded (using the iso) from 13.04 to 13.10 development and i must tell you it's as solid as 13.04 and continues to improve so it's kind of like 13.04 Plus (lol)...
    I can believe that it is all well and good for other things, but how is Xmir? I tried testing several daily isos and every time xmir gave me blackscreen and I don't have the time to try fixing it so I don't bother testing any more, but that was a month ago so hopefully things have improved.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; September 14th, 2013 at 09:05 PM.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast