Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking a terminal command that will delete all files that lack an extension

Beans

Seeking a terminal command that will delete all files that lack an extension

I have a directory that contains file that are named like this:

song1
    song1.mp3
    song2
    song2.mp3

I'm trying to find a way to delete all of the 'non-mp3' files. I know that I can do this easitly enough in the GUI, but would really like to automate this with a script, and would also like to get a better working in the terminal.

*edit- I should correct what I said about the file names. A more accurate discription is:

01-Song Title
    01-Song Title.mp3
    02-Another Title
    02-Another Title.mp3

I suspect the spaces / dashes are preventing the suggestions below from working.
    Last edited by skitter; September 13th, 2013 at 07:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

find

The program find will probably do what you want. You can try the example below and remove echo when it gives the output you want.

Code:
    find . -type f ! -name '*.mp3' -maxdepth 1 -exec echo rm {} \;
    That looks in the current directory (.) for all regular files that don't end in .mp3 without going into any subdirectories.

Beans

Re: find

Although if the directory only has song. and song.mp3 files, you can always just
    Code:
    rm  -i *.
    The "-i" will prompt you for each removal. Omit this and it will auto delete all "song1." files from said directory.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Noodén View Post
    The program find will probably do what you want. You can try the example below and remove echo when it gives the output you want.

Code:
    find . -type f ! -name '*.mp3' -maxdepth 1 -exec echo rm {} \;
    That looks in the current directory (.) for all regular files that don't end in .mp3 without going into any subdirectories.
    Thanks, but I'm getting an error with that one-

"find: warning: you have specified the -maxdepth option after a non-option argument -type, but options are not positional (-maxdepth affects tests specified before it as well as those specified after it). Please specify options before other arguments."

Since there are no subdirectories, I tried removing -maxdepth 1. That command runs with out error, but nothing is deleted.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Pako Pako View Post
    Although if the directory only has song. and song.mp3 files, you can always just
    Code:
    rm  -i *.
    The "-i" will prompt you for each removal. Omit this and it will auto delete all "song1." files from said directory.
    Thanks, but this one isn't working for me, I'm getting a 'no such file or directory' error.

There are files there though.

skitter@mypc:~/test$ ls -l
    total 0
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 skitter skitter 0 Sep 13 14:50 blah
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 skitter skitter 0 Sep 13 14:50 blah2
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 skitter skitter 0 Sep 13 14:51 blah2.mp3
    -rw-rw-r-- 1 skitter skitter 0 Sep 13 14:51 blah.mp3

skitter@mypc:~/test$ rm *.
    rm: cannot remove `*.': No such file or directory

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Seeking a terminal command that will delete all files that lack an extension

The warning is just a warning. It will still run. You could get rid of it by putting it first.

Code:
    find . -maxdepth 1 -type f ! -name '*.conf' -exec echo rm {} \;
    About it not deleting anything, that is by design. You need to remove "echo" from the find options for it to actually delete anything, but only do that after you are satisfied with the output.

Beans

Re: Seeking a terminal command that will delete all files that lack an extension

Thanks so much. You mentioned the echo point in the first reply, and I overlooked it. I'll be sure to read with my good eye next time

This does what I need, and more importantly, I (mostly...) understand what it's doing.
    Code:
    find . -maxdepth 1  -type f ! -name '*.mp3' -exec  rm {} \;

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Cool. Glad it works. As you noticed, find uses a logical AND between options by default. Just in case it is handy to know at a future date, it can also be made to do logical ORs or combinations and groupings for complex matching.

Beans
    Hidden!

find is probably the best tool for this job, but if you don't mind I would like to show some other examples.

In addition to the traditional globs, Bash also offers extended globs. Extended globs aren't enabled by default, so we have to enable them with `shopt -s extglob'. Once they are enabled we can use !(pattern) to match anything except one of the given pattern. For more info check out: http://mywiki.wooledge.org/glob

Code:
    shopt -s extglob nocaseglob
    echo rm -- !(*.mp3)
    NOTE: rm by default does not remove directories, so there is no need to test if the files are dirs or not.

This method is less portable than using find but it can be very handy in an interactive Bash shell.

Here is another way to accomplish the same thing:

Code:
    for file in *
    do
        [ -f "$file" ] || continue #ignore non regular files (directories etc.)

case $file in
            *.mp3|*.MP3)
                echo "do nothing"
                ;;
            *)
                echo rm -- "$file"
                ;;
        esac
     done
    This looks a bit complicated for such a simple task. Right? Why is this method better than the first two?

Well, it should run in any POSIX shell, hence it's more portable than the one which uses extended globs. And it's expandable. You can add more patterns in order to do something with the .jpg files for example.

Code:
         case $file in
            *.mp3|*.MP3)
                echo "do something"
                ;;
           *.jpg|*.JPG)
                echo "do something else"
                ;;
           *)
                echo rm -- "$file"
                ;;
        esac
    hth

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Please mark as solved by going to thread tools.
    -Jonathan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast