Thread: taskbar and launcher icons disappeared

Beans

Angry taskbar and launcher icons disappeared

Hi,
    I use ubuntu 12.10 on my Sony Vaio VPCEL15EN on an AMD Radeon Graphics card and 64bit AMD processor (1.6gHz, Dual core).
    I initially had problems with wi-fi ( i could not find the drivers for the wi-fi/bluetooth combination switch) and thus had to do some deep digging. To correct this problem i had to add some repositories and fallback on some kernels (I am sorry, cannot provide complete details). In the process I got an indelible mark on the right lower corner of my screen, which said "AMD incompatible Hardware", which stayed on for a really long time.
    I installed additional drivers, and deactivated the ATI flgrx driver, and immediately the taskbar and launcher icons have disappeared. I am unable to bring them back, happen whatever may. I even tried installing Gnome 3 desktop, but i am unable to activate it even when i select it in the login page. I tried reinstalling compiz also, but to no avail
    Kindly help. Thanks.

Beans

Lightbulb Re: taskbar and launcher icons disappeared

Update: The problem corrected itself. Even the error message on the right of my screen has disappeared. This happened after i installed and rebooted into the gnome 3 interface. The problem now is that my wi-fi driver is not working.. Can anybody help please?