Thread: Bus error

Beans

Bus error

Hi everyone,

I am not sure if this is right place to ask my question.

I checked with all other bus error threads but none helped.

My skype is not starting.

When I run it in terminal I get "Bus error".

I uninstalled and then installed but it did not help.

I cleared all cache using "sudo apt-get clean all" and BleachBit but none of them helped.

This problem is happening with some other applications also. some are working and some are not. The ones that are not working, are giving bus error.

They all were working around week back. I only did automatic update and nothing else around that time.

What could be the problem? Can someone please help?

I am using Linux Mint 13.

Thanks,
    Manoj

Beans

Re: Bus error

Hi All,

I forgot to mention that this problem is hapening for last 1-2 weeks. Earlier it was working alright. I don't remember making any custom installation.

Automatic software update crashed though and was not updating. It was giving 'error reading database' but got resolved automatically after few days. I guess I am having this problem since then.

Any help or guidance is lot appreaciated.

Thanks,
    Manoj

Beans

Hi,

I just tried boot-repair http://www.howtogeek.com/114884/how-...ntu-wont-boot/ and deleting and restoring /dev/null but they did not help.

Somewhere I read that it might be because of broken filesystem. So, I am trying fsck. But I am getting this error there:

fsck.ext2: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/sda1 possibly non-existent device?
    Apart from this when I try to update some package or install a new one, I get these warnings: I feel these are also related to the problem somehow:

dpkg: warning: files list file for package `librpm2' missing, assuming package has no files currently installed.

dpkg: warning: files list file for package `wireless-tools' missing, assuming package has no files currently installed.

dpkg: warning: files list file for package `libdrm-intel1:i386' missing, assuming package has no files currently installed.

dpkg: warning: files list file for package `w64codecs' missing, assuming package has no files currently installed.

dpkg: warning: files list file for package `mintinstall' missing, assuming package has no files currently installed.

dpkg: warning: files list file for package `wireless-regdb' missing, assuming package has no files currently installed.

dpkg: warning: files list file for package `liborc-0.4-0:i386' missing, assuming package has no files currently installed.

dpkg: warning: files list file for package `transmission-gtk' missing, assuming package has no files currently installed.

dpkg: warning: files list file for package `wget' missing, assuming package has no files currently installed.

dpkg: warning: files list file for package `rpm-common' missing, assuming package has no files currently installed.

dpkg: warning: files list file for package `librpmio2' missing, assuming package has no files currently installed.

dpkg: warning: files list file for package `ubuntu-system-adjustments' missing, assuming package has no files currently installed.

dpkg: warning: files list file for package `activity-log-manager-common' missing, assuming package has no files currently installed.

dpkg: warning: files list file for package `whiptail' missing, assuming package has no files currently installed.

dpkg: warning: files list file for package `libunistring0' missing, assuming package has no files currently installed.

dpkg: warning: files list file for package `wamerican' missing, assuming package has no files currently installed.

dpkg: warning: files list file for package `whois' missing, assuming package has no files currently installed.

dpkg: warning: files list file for package `libdbus-1-3:i386' missing, assuming package has no files currently installed.

dpkg: warning: files list file for package `libdbus-1-3' missing, assuming package has no files currently installed.

dpkg: warning: files list file for package `libssl1.0.0:i386' missing, assuming package has no files currently installed.

Please let me know if you think I should do something that could help.

Thanks,
    Manoj

Beans

Hi,

I tried to clean the acrhive files http://www.webupd8.org/2009/04/clean...-files-in.html but that also did not help.

Thanks,
    Manoj

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

May I point something out to you? This is the Ubuntu+1 section of Ubuntu forums. It is here allow those of us who are running the Ubuntu 13.10 development branch to share experiences. In a couple of months we will switch to Ubuntu 14.04 development branch.

This thread should be in the Other OS/Distro Support section of the forum. You may find in that section others who are using the same distribution you are using. By the way, in a situation like this I would reinstall. I would not be surprised if your attempts to fix things have actually made things worse. It happens to me.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

last time that was happening to me it was the SSD acting up
    a firmware update fixed it, updating it wiped the drive and i loaded a backup
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I missed the Mint 13 in the first post. Moved to Other OS/Distro Support.

Beans

Thanks Cariboo for guiding to the right section.

grahammechanical: I already did reinstall of skype but that did not help. Are you suggesting, total OS reinstall?

pqwoerituytrueiwoq: Can you please give me a bit more details on this?

Thanks,
    Manoj

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

a bus error basically means there is a problem connecting to the HDD/SSD it can tell the drive is there but it can't get data in/out without corruption
    i don't know much about it, but it was throwing the system into read only mode, updating the SSDs firmware fixed the issue
    basically it is a hardware issue, if you can run the disk utility and get some info from your hdd/ssd it may help
    check the smart attributes
    gsmartcontrol is a good tool for that
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post

Beans

Thanks pqwoerituytrueiwoq. I will work on this and let you know the results. Yesterday I tried to run fsck after running this in terminal
    sudo touch /forcefsck

This did not solve the problem but I guess this showed us what the problem is. Please see the output of fsck that I ran after entering in recovery mode while rebooting.

fsck from util-linux 2.20.2
    Error reading block 62915093 (Attempt to read block from file system resulted in short read) while getting next inode from scan.

/dev/sda1: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsk MANUALLY. (i.e. ; without -a or -p options)

mountall: fsck/[808] terminated with status 4.
    mountall: File system has errors: /
    mountall: Skipping mounting / since plymouth is not available

Finished: Please press ENTER.
    Do you think this is helpful and now I can do something to fix it?

Thanks a lot for help.

Regards,
    Manoj