Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help finding my hard drive

Beans

Need help finding my hard drive

Alright, so I couldn't figure out how to use an image backup for windows over my network because it didn't want to work so I am using ubuntu to copy the image to my hard drive but I don't know how to actually save it in the hard drive so that my backup disc can find it, can anyone help me out?

I have no idea how to even make my hdd appear under devices, I don't even see devices on my browers :\

/e

it tells me that sda1 is already mounted under media, as well:

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/sda1 * 2048 960094207 480046080 83 Linux
    /dev/sda2 960096254 976771071 8337409 5 Extended
    /dev/sda5 960096256 976771071 8337408 82 Linux swap / Solaris
    Last edited by aj6; September 12th, 2013 at 02:43 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Need help finding my hard drive

Welcome to the forum!!

From this, it looks like you only have 2 partitions on your HDD, SDA1 (Your root filesystem), and SDA5 (Swap space). The "Extended" partition contains only the Swap partition (it is generally used as a organizational tool). So are you looking for another device entirely or are you looking for another partition?
    BTC: 1E8os2cx3JLnp9PMZAtn1eT8kBxaRPq9Hp

Beans

no no, i'm just trying to explore my hard drive. like on windows you can find your program files and stuff in the c: drive, so i thought maybe there is something like that on ubuntu so i can attempt to copy the file i need to into that folder and try to recover with my backup image

Beans
    Distro

Oh, OK...most of the programs that you install in Ubuntu will be in the /usr/sbin/ directory, but there are other directories that may have programs and other binary files in them. Are you trying to restore a windows installation that you had? Is that what the backup image is for? You won't be able to copy files into this directory as it is owned by root.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cody1233 View Post
    Oh, OK...most of the programs that you install in Ubuntu will be in the /usr/sbin/ directory, but there are other directories that may have programs and other binary files in them. Are you trying to restore a windows installation that you had? Is that what the backup image is for? You won't be able to copy files into this directory as it is owned by root.
    yes, that's what the image is for, to restore windows. so is there no way to do this?

Beans
    Distro

What is the file extension of the recovery image?

Beans

.vhd

I'm not really sure about how to make the recovery disc recognize the file, but I think it just has to be in the root :\

Beans
    Distro

That is a image for a Virtual Hard Drive and I'm not sure if you can mount that at boot or if you have to have a Virtual Machine to use it. Anybody else have any idea???

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cody1233 View Post
    That is a image for a Virtual Hard Drive and I'm not sure if you can mount that at boot or if you have to have a Virtual Machine to use it. Anybody else have any idea???
    i dunno i guess, i made it with windows' default backup image maker, so i imagine that the boot disc will recognize it, i guess my issue is trying to get it onto this hard drive. i don't have an enclosure or anything to try to transfer the data and i think my only option right now is to try and transfer it over the network from my laptop so yeah. thanks anyway

Beans
    Distro

you might want to post something about your problem in the Virtualization section here...it might get more traffic.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast