Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu doesn't boot anymore (black screen) - How to retrieve data on HD?

Hybrid View

Beans

Ubuntu doesn't boot anymore (black screen) - How to retrieve data on HD?

I had Win 7 and Ubuntu working fine since some months. Today Ubuntu doesn't boot. I receive a black screen with the following lines: Starting the winbind daemon winbind ...ok Starting anac(h)ronistic crom...ok Checking battery state...ok Stopping System V runlevel compatibility...ok. Nothing else. Broken.

I suppose I have to reinstall Ubuntu. What a pity because I am not able to retrieve some data from the Ubuntu HD ("download", "documents", ...) which is not reachable any more. As you know, Windows doesn't see those ubuntu HD parts.

Is there a way to take back those data?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu doesn't boot anymore (black screen) - How to retrieve data on HD ????

You can boot to live cd, and copy files to external drive. I assume you still got Ubuntu cd/usb.

I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT A QUANTAL QUETZAL IS...BUT IT SOUNDS LIKE PRETZEL AND I LIKE PRETZEL

Beans

Re: Repair using LiveCd/USB

Hello,

I need to repair Ubuntu 12.04 but I don't know how to do it.

I have checked / tried while running the different versions of the Ubuntu live cd (12.04; 12.10; 13) but I don't see how it's working.

Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Ubuntu doesn't boot anymore (black screen) - How to retrieve data on HD ????

@redcougar272, I've moved your latest post into your own thread as it's basically a continuation of the same issue.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Boot into the livecd but do the try Ubuntu option and not install Ubuntu.
    Then when the Ubuntu desktop comes up open the file manager and see if your Ubuntu Partition shows up in the devices section of the side panel.
    If you have another disk or partition available you should be able to copy them.
    Chances are, though, you might need to be root.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It would be way easier for us to help you solve your problem, if you told us what you did to cause your system to stop booting.

Beans

cariboo907: hello

I did absolutely nothing. Ubuntu was working fine on the morning; I stopped the PC and in the afternoon I booted again not to succeeding.

Thanks for your attention.

Beans

To dedflowr. thanks but

how to be ROOT with the graphical interface

===== with a terminal, I know.

Regards,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Becoming root is of little importance at this point, I only stated it's possible you might need to be root not that you will need it.
    you can run graphical programs as root with 'gksu program-name' from the terminal.
    What is important is to try to fix the problems.
    Can you boot into the grub bootloader menu?
    If so, try entering into the recovery mode.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RecoveryMode
    You might try some of the options, such as fix broken packages, or fsck.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Re: Ubuntu doesn't boot anymore (black screen) - How to retrieve data on HD?

Hello and thanks.
    Ubuntu is installed along / inside Win 7 and there is no Grub visible. The aspect is not as a normal Grub window. I think that the the boot menu is a Windows one with two choices: Win 7 / Ubuntu. Thanks for trying. I will simply try to reinstall Ubuntu along Windows.
    When running a live cd with ubuntu, I cannot see (in the file manager) the drives and folders of the installed ubuntu. I see only empty folders of the running ubuntu from the live cd and the c: and d: drives of Windows.

Regards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast