Thread: Hard disk recovery

Beans

Hard disk recovery

Hi,

I have a samsung hard disk which Ubuntu won't recognize. I tried connecting this hard disk to other computers, it is not being recognized over there as well. Searching for how to recover data from HDD, I came across lots of different approaches. Since the data is crucial to me, i was unsure how to proceed. Could anyone suggest a method which is really safe?

I looked for the Samsung disk trouble shooter, but it was a question and answer kind of thing, which was more or less similar to Windows trouble shooting.

I have Ubuntu 12.04 installed on Dell Studio 1555.

Regards

Chris

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Hard disk recovery

Advanced data recovery might not be necessary.

Could you please post the output of running the command: "sudo fdisk -l" with the drive connected?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

What's the filesystem you're trying to access on the drive -- Windows (NTFS) or Linux (ext4)? Important to know because different filesystems need different utilities for best results.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

first look in BIOS to see if its alive an then use testdisk
    if its not listed in BIOS then try replacing electronics
    if it gets to testdisk be careful
    Last edited by miroslav3; September 10th, 2013 at 02:09 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Start looking for an identical drive on ebay. As miroslav3 says, you may have to swap the circuit board.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by miroslav3 View Post
    if its not listed in BIOS then try replacing electronics
    Quote Originally Posted by coldraven View Post
    Start looking for an identical drive on ebay. As miroslav3 says, you may have to swap the circuit board.
    ..which almost certainly won't work. Been there, done that. Not only the card, not only the model number and parts, but even the BIOS as well has to be matched (read - Identical) and it is NOT guaranteed to match even if both the cards are from the EXACTLY same lot of the drive.

I tried 3 different cards (we purchased 6 seagate 320 GB drives same time, same shop, same model), none worked. What worked is - I unsolded the 8-pin BIOS chip from the fried card (needs great care and expertise or will be either damaged or corrupt due to heat), replaced it with the one on the healthy card (of course voiding its warranty thus). Otherwise, the drive got detected, but showed up as a 4 MB drive (with the healthy card+its original BIOS chip)!!
    Last edited by varunendra; September 10th, 2013 at 03:23 PM.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I would check Samsung's site for an hdd test suite. Usually low-level diagnostic stuff that comes directly from the manufacturer is more reliable. If the drive is totally hosed, you might consider Steve Gibson's excellent SpinRite utility. Current versions cost around $65 but are worth their weight in gold when you've lost priceless work.
    In working with *nix...There be dragons. Newcomers: I recommend reading Linux is Not Windows (http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm) and The Linux Command Line (http://www.linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php) before beginning your quest for a better OS.

Beans

1. For the output with sudo fdisk -l

I do not have the hard disk, my friend is trying to recover it as well. So, i ll get it from him day after tomoro.

2. The filesystem in use is NTFS. I used it with Windows machines as well.

3. Switching electronic boards -> I can't do anything really technical.

4. Samsung's test suite -> Does not exist. It is a questionnaire not a software.

Beans

New to Linux myself but have some questions to help other guy's.
    Internal or External drive.
    If External tried another USB cable.
    External power supply? Does it have an LED lit.
    Can you feel vibration or hear clicking noise when powered on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

2. The filesystem in use is NTFS. I used it with Windows machines as well.
    In my experience, Windows filesystem utilities have been best at recovering data from former Windows partitions; Linux filesystem utilities have been best at recovering data from former Linux partitions. Your best bet at recovering data in a useful form from the Windows filesystem is to do as indicated below ...

Since your data was on a Windows partition, based on my experience at doing this successfully, my suggestions are the following:
    [NOTE: If your PC has a working copy of MS Windows on it, skip to step 4]
    1) Find someone with a working MS Windows PC
    2) Remove your drive from this PC.
    3) Connect your old drive to the MS Windows PC.
    4) Download and install the trial version of RecoverMyFiles from Runtime Software in MS Windows.
    5) Right-click the RecoverMyFiles shortcut and select "Run as Administrator"
    6) Select the option to Recover a Drive
    7) You will get a list of drive, scroll down to find the one for your USB stick or memory card
    8) Select Automatic Driver recovery, press Start button
    9) It will run for a while but when done, will show a directory tree in the left pane. Do NOT interrupt it.
    10) When done, browse the folders in the directory tree -- and be SURE to check the filesizes of the files you want to recover. If the filesize is zero, the file is trashed and you will NOT be able to recover it.

If the files look OK, you will need to contact Runtime Software to purchase a license for the recovery. You won't have to reinstall the app; instead, they will email you an activation code which you can use to turn on the recovery feature.

According to their website, the "standard" version of the app is $70 USD. They also have a Pro version for $99 dollars, but if you go to the website below, you can compare the features and (at least for me) the extra cost wasn't worth it:

http://www.recovermyfiles.com/data-r...e-purchase.php

Your data ... your money ... your choice.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.