Beans

Question Disk Full

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda1 228G 216G 15M 100% /
    udev 1001M 4.0K 1001M 1% /dev
    tmpfs 404M 872K 403M 1% /run
    none 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
    none 1009M 120K 1008M 1% /run/shm

It says that my disk is full but all I have done was install Ubuntu and update then I never really touched it.

I found out which folder its in under home/username but when I checked each folder there they were all around 4kb. When I tried du -h home/username it said that the folder was 200+ gb but I couldnt find any file in there that was higher then 1mb. Could be be a cache folder? When it was searching though there was alot of cache folders but I dont know how to check them. but I am not home to reformat and can only use Putty to get in the VNC cant be started up either.

Any ideas on what I should do?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Disk Full

nuwanga; Hi ! Welcome to the forum.

As you seem to have narrowed down to the /home directory. The more likely file to look at is the hidden file ".xsession-errors".
    Code:
    ls -la ~/.xsession-errors
    if indeed this is the culprit .. keep in mind to note the errors prior to removing that file. And then repair the cause of the generation of the error messages.

just try'n to help
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Beans

So I did do that and got "-rw------- 1 klmnooooo klmnooooo 215557312512 Sep 9 17:11 /home/klmnooooo/.xsession-errors" Then I looked around on how to delete it and used

rm /wherever/you/have/.xsession-errorsln -s /dev/null /wherever/you/have/.xsession-errors
    changed the pathing and it seemed to work

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    /dev/sda1 228G 15G 201G 7% /
    udev 1001M 4.0K 1001M 1% /dev
    tmpfs 404M 868K 403M 1% /run
    none 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
    none 1009M 120K 1008M 1% /run/shm

It freed up about 200gb. Thing is I dont use that pc but that code I put in should now stop that from happening in the future right?

I knew it would be somthing hidden but didnt know the code to look for it. Thanks Bashing-om!!

Beans
    Distro

nuwanga' Hey;

You are quite welcome. And NO that does not "fix" the problem.
    As that file was huge you need to find out why .. what errors are being reported ? .. and correct the issue,
    Else in due time that file will once more consume all the disk space.

your system needs a helping hand

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

Actually yes you're right.I checked again and it is back up to 100% usage. What do you suggest I do?

Beans
    Distro

nuwanga; Hey !

Read that file and determine what error is being reported. When you know the repeated error(s) you may post the error segment back to this forum and we will see about an interpretation and possible action to take.. if the solution is not obvious to you.

your system needs your assistance

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

So this time it is in a different place. The file is called fileHwealE and I cant go in it in terminal. This file is over 200gb too and the file is located under tmp. Should I delete or investigate it a bit more first. Also its weird since the files last time was hidden xsession and now its in a different place.

Beans
    Distro

nuwanga; Wow..
    Ok, unless one is real versatile with managing files, there is not much you can do with a file that large.
    What I suggest is to go ahead and delete that file ... and pay close attention to it (and the .xsession-errors file) and when that file is regenerated then load it up and look at it. One may then use utilities such as "cat", "less" or your favorite text editor to look at it.
    see; In terminal:
    Code:
    man cat
    man less
    for usage instruction.

200GB in a few hours is a lot of spam and certainly you need to find the cause.

inquiring minds want to know

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

Well this is interesting. Frist off someone tried to connect to the server I think. It said this for about 5min strait in terminal "11/09/2013 05:16:55 PM Authentication deferred - ignoring client message" after about 100 lines that time would move up a minute. I think someone tried to flush it or something? Also I got two IP's 122.155.13.68 when I put that in google it took me to a program called WorldClient for MDaemon. Here's its wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MDaemon. The second IP that I saw in the terminal as a crap ton of lines went past with the same 2 IP. That last one and this one 89.111.239.114 that IP is located near Italy. http://whatismyipaddress.com/ip/89.111.239.114. Also I tried the rm command and deleted that file. Then after I did df -h and it showed that the disk was still full. The file I deleted was around 200gb so I dont know why its still full.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast