Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remove Ubuntu from Windows 8 machine safely?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Remove Ubuntu from Windows 8 machine safely?

nomodeset does not work for me. It's one of the first things I tried, but it still hangs at the purple screen. I tried again just to be sure with no luck.

I should probably mention that when I turn Secure Boot back on and boot my computer, I get an error that says "Secure Boot Violation -- Invalid signature detected. Check Secure Boot Policy in Setup." I hit OK, and I get "ERROR: No boot disk has been detected or the disk has failed."

When I select Windows Boot Manager from BIOS under UEFI Boot Sources with Secure Boot off, it still takes me to Grub. When I try with Secure Boot on, I still get the aforementioned error.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Remove Ubuntu from Windows 8 machine safely?

You may have used the Boot-Repair rename function? That is for systems that only boot Windows and you rename grub2's shim to be the Windows file name to boot.

With secure boot only secure boot systems will boot. Ubuntu will install with secure boot but you have to boot installer or Boot-Repair with secure boot on.

To undo & to rename files to their original names, you just need to tick the "Restore EFI backups" option of Boot-Repair.
    A user disabled secure boot, and unchecked it in boot-repair. It now bypasses Grub and goes straight in to Windows.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12