Thread: Key functions mysteriously switched

Beans

Exclamation Key functions mysteriously switched

The " and @ keys on my Dell laptop have mysteriously switched functions. They continue to work as before for the number 2 and single quotation mark, but the double quotation mark and @ functions have been switched. Also, the hash key, though still a functioning number 3, gives me a £ sign instead of a hash sign. I suspect it's a hardware problem, but I can't be sure of this. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Key functions mysteriously switched

Welcome to the Ubuntu Forums

I suspect you have another keyboard setting (for example another language). What is the output of the following command in a terminal window?

Code:
    setxkbmap -print

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

What you describe sounds like the UK layout. In UK keyboards, " is shift-2, @ is shift-', £ is shift-3, and # is just to the left of the return key.

Which desktop are you using? If Unity, see what your default is in System settings -> Keyboard layout.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

The output is

xkb_keymap {
    xkb_keycodes { include "evdev+aliases(qwerty)" };
    xkb_types { include "complete" };
    xkb_compat { include "complete" };
    xkb_symbols { include "pc+gb+inet(evdev)" };
    xkb_geometry { include "pc(pc105)" };
    };

I'm a newbie, so I have absolutely no idea what this means.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    What you describe sounds like the UK layout. In UK keyboards, " is shift-2, @ is shift-', £ is shift-3, and # is just to the left of the return key.

Which desktop are you using? If Unity, see what your default is in System settings -> Keyboard layout.
    I checked -- my default is indeed English (UK). However, I have no idea how this switch happened (I am assuming I had the US layout earlier). Strange!

Beans
    Hidden!

You can change back to US English keyboard with
    Code:
    setxkbmap us
    in a terminal window.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Or if you prefer the GUI, simply System Settings -> Keyboard Layout and change the default to whichever layout you wish.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    You can change back to US English keyboard with
    Code:
    setxkbmap us
    in a terminal window.
    Worked. Thanks a lot!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    Or if you prefer the GUI, simply System Settings -> Keyboard Layout and change the default to whichever layout you wish.
    Thank you! Phew, I was a bit worried initially, but a simple enough solution!