Thread: Ubuntu Touch

Beans

Ubuntu Touch

It's my understanding the U Touch is supposed to implemented in the near future. Any idea when that will happen. I'm a long time U user and need a new laptop. Should I get a Touch screen. Any thoughts?

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Touch

It is for phones, by the way...
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by codingman View Post
    It is for phones, by the way...
    +1. And a phone that at this point doesn't exist beyond a prototype in a testing lab somewhere. See here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/phone

... and here:

http://www.ubuntutouch.info/

The project has stalled and is on hold (no pun intended) as the crowdfunded target amount wasn't reached by the (to me, ambitious) deadline.

There are literally gazillions of threads about this almost mythical device on the forum and elsewhere already.

I think what you are actually asking is how well does the Ubuntu operating system run on touch screen computers. 'Ubuntu Touch' is not an OS but an (unrelated) beast altogether (although the phone does use a touch screen, or will when it actually exists).

Have moved this thread to here and left open to help clarify this for future travellers.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; September 8th, 2013 at 03:59 PM.

Beans

Yes, sorry about the U Touch. I knew that. Anyway when will U Touch Screen enabled-14.04? or Later.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by tajreed View Post
    Yes, sorry about the U Touch. I knew that. Anyway when will U Touch Screen enabled-14.04? or Later.
    Are you talking when will touchscreen capabilities be default in a release? No idea, but touchscreen functionality has been achievable with utouch in Ubuntu since 11.04:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=ubuntu+touchscreen

Utouch is developing still and intended for devs at the mo. Install utouch in Software Centre or Synaptics.

Beans

Thanks. I didn't know that. I'll check it out.