Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Macbook Pro 3,1

Beans

Macbook Pro 3,1

Hello I have tried my best searching the forums and still cant seem to find the info I need. Perhaps someone can point me in the right direction? I have an Macbook Pro 3,1 core 2 duo 2.3 ghz. I would like to install to an external hard drive although I can use a usb stick for now. I have downloaded the 13.04 desktop 64bit version and burned it to a DVD. When the DVD was finished burning it was ejected and said it was not useable. Upon trying to boot from the DVD I was presented with 3 options two for efi boot and one for windows. I tried all 3 and it just hung at a black screen. I was however able to get a virtual box setup running from the DVD that I burned. So I guess my question is what do I need to do to get my macbook to boot from the dvd so I may install? Thanks!

Beans

Re: New to ubuntu instal help please

Hey tara2,

I'm not exactly sure what is going on since i don't own a macbook 3.1, what exactly do you mean by black screen ? it just hangs there ? is there a flashing _ at the top left corner ?

Also may i suggest you use refind ? refind is a boot loader, and it is very easy to install and remove.
    [-]SilverOne[-] [- Best Regards

Beans

Hi, I will try refind later tonight. What I am getting is if I hold the C key down at boot it will hit the grey screen and stay there same as when osx is booting sans the apple logo. It will stay there till I power down I even let it go for over 30 mins during one try. While its in the grey state I can hear the dvd drive going back and forth over and over in the EXACT same pattern. If I hold the option key during boot it shows my internal HD and for the unbuntu dvd it shows three separate dvd icons windows, efi and efi in that order. Choosing the far right efi gets it stuck in a black screen with nothing else. The other efi icon will start to boot for a second and I get the message "secure boot disabled". When choosing the windows icon I get a message that says something like choose cd/dvd drive but no keys work and it is just stuck there.
    I also thought I read it was hard to boot from an external which is what I would prefer however whatever can work is fine for me. I have my internal backed up so I can use that if need be. I was looking for a single boot type deal not dual osx/unbuntu. Thanks!

Beans

Hello,

it seems to me you're having problems with EFI boot, and you're not even getting to grub which kinda sucks. However, i suspect that EFISTUB (bios compatibility mode) which is represented by the windows logo will work with refind.

Fingers crossed.

Beans

Thanks I will give it a shot and report back tonight.

Beans

Well that got me to be able to "start" the boot process but not finish. I had 2 choices regular and fallback and got the same results with both. I did not choose install at first just the run without installation option the end result was that after much dvd reading the drive would just stop spinning screen black the entire time. After many re tries I chose the install option and here is what I got when it froze...

12.496334 kernel panic-not syncing: vfs: unable to mount root fs on unknown-block (1-0)

of note is that it was doing/loading something as shown by the ethernet light on my router turning on midway through the process

Beans

Hey,

I digged around the internet for a bit, this seems to be a common problem.
    http://forum.acronis.com/forum/16521
    Code:
    i have followed the recommendations by Customer support to create a bootable rescue media on a "USB stick". after doing some brief testing i have not observed the "kernel panic" when booting from that type of media.
    in other words:
     - booting from USB: PASS
     - booting from CD - AHCI: sporadic FAIL
    I have never installed ubuntu from a cd or dvd either.

so would you try doing this with a USB drive ? there are step by step instructions here: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/deskt...ick-on-mac-osx

also after you write the image to the pen drive, verify the md5 sig https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ho...UM_on_Mac_OS_X
    you can find the md5 sums here: http://releases.ubuntu.com/raring/

you can also try the image made specially for macs! that might work too.
    Last edited by SilverOne; September 9th, 2013 at 02:22 AM.

Beans

Thanks much! I am pretty clueless with using the terminal so its gonna take me a bit to figure out those usb instructions but I will attempt. Thanks again!!

Beans

Hello, you are welcome.

Do not be afraid of the terminal. We all were at some point.
    If you do not know where your ubuntu image is downloaded on your drive, you can always "drag" it to the terminal. that should input the path for you.
    you will still have to figure out the path to the usb drive, it should be something like /dev/disk2 or something.

Beans

I have completely given up on terminal could not get it to work convert failed no such file or directory no matter how I do it going to try to get it working via the virtual box and the startup disk creator. ugh

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast