Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mint 15: I am scared to uninstall packages

Beans

Re: I am scared to uninstall packages :)

Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    I'm with Coder88.

While meta-packages are good ways to install complex software with many dependencies, insisting on removing something like Gnome when one has asked to remove only a single package with nothing that depends on it is decidely not clever.

What is in Abiword that all of Gnome depends on it? (News to me. I'm running Gnome Shell and Abiword isn't installed. )

From my own experience, the workaround of immediately reinstalling the metapackage is not foolproof.

This issue isn't Ubuntu-specific, btw.
    Or how about if apt-get / synaptic say something like: "The following will be removed blah blah blah gnome-references"
    Instead of "The following will be removed blah blah blah gnome"
    The former would not strike fear into me, the latter would. I know we are approaching horror season (October, though I start watching scary flicks in September), but I would rather be scared by Halloween than by Synaptic, lol.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by santosh83 View Post
    Isn't it rather the fact that the meta-package (for some reason best known only to the maintainer) depends on the package being removed, and hence it too is removed? And wouldn't reinstalling the meta-package pull in the just removed package once again? Just speculating...
    I'll guess that some packages listed in a meta-package may be there because a developer wants to make it very easy to install a collection of software. Many components will have dependencies on each other. But, some become part of the dependency chain only because the packagers are trying to make life easy for users.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Coder88 View Post
    Or how about if apt-get / synaptic say something like: "The following will be removed blah blah blah gnome-references"
    Instead of "The following will be removed blah blah blah gnome"
    The former would not strike fear into me, the latter would. I know we are approaching horror season (October, though I start watching scary flicks in September), but I would rather be scared by Halloween than by Synaptic, lol.
    The unknown causes fear.
    It's very easy to find out what a package is by looking at it's description in synaptic.
    I've had no issue with uninstalling certain apps which also uninstall meta-packages.
    Still fail to see your problem with uninstalling a meta-package when all it's
    doing is removing a dependency list, not actual software.

So a few days ago I installed Linux Mint 15 (Olivia), was running great, then I uninstalled a minor app and suddenly my gnome desktop icons were gone and worse, blah blah blah.
    How do we know if this has anything at all to do with a meta-package if you
    don't state the "minor app" and describe the consequences as "blah blah blah"?
    Last edited by stinkeye; September 9th, 2013 at 04:07 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by stinkeye View Post
    The unknown causes fear.
    It's very easy to find out what a package is by looking at it's description in synaptic.
    I've had no issue with uninstalling certain apps which also uninstall meta-packages.
    Still fail to see your problem with uninstalling a meta-package when all it's
    doing is removing a dependency list, not actual software.

How do we know if this has anything at all to do with a meta-package if you
    don't state the "minor app" and describe the consequences as "blah blah blah"?
    I think this is the whole crux of the problem. It appears the OP doesn't trust that removing meta-anything will only remove lists and not the program itself.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by VMC View Post
    I think this is the whole crux of the problem. It appears the OP doesn't trust that removing meta-anything will only remove lists and not the program itself.
    Since Ubuntu is marketed actively to those new to Linux and the less technical people in general, and also aims to be as user-friendly as possible, a message in the GUI indicating a said package is only a meta-package and will not remove any actual stuff would be useful. This will allay the fears many people like coder88.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by stinkeye View Post
    ...How do we know if this has anything at all to do with a meta-package if you don't state the "minor app" and describe the consequences as "blah blah blah"?
    You don't. But I was not taking notes at the time. Linux Mint was a nightmare I never care to relive. I have installed linux perhaps 100x in the past 20 years. I was excited at installing linut mint given it was rated #1 at distrowatch. Installed great on my desktop on a dedicated drive. Installed great on my laptop as a virtual machine. Installed great on my Windows 7 as a virtual machine. It broke on all three over a few days-- remove a minor app (i was not taking notes) and i lost icons (i got them back by reinstalling icon packages) and on one machine i lost my desktop. Frustrating. I removed all Mint installs. I remembered I had ArtistX installed on a sata drive; ArtistX has been good to me the past few days. And I remember never having such issues ever with perhaps a dozen straight up Ubunu installs.

All you have is blah blah blah because again I was not taking notes on any of the three Mint installs. You can do whatever you want; i might have bad breath but i am staying clear of anything and everything Minty forever.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by santosh83 View Post
    Since Ubuntu is marketed actively to those new to Linux and the less technical people in general, and also aims to be as user-friendly as possible, a message in the GUI indicating a said package is only a meta-package and will not remove any actual stuff would be useful. This will allay the fears many people like coder88.
    ^^^
    +1

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Coder88 View Post
    If I mark some packages (hit or miss) in Synaptic Package Manager (or even if using 'sudo apt-get remove somepackage') the system will say that several or many other packages will also be removed-- and sometimes that just does not look like a good thing to do. For example, uninstalling something as simple as a media player might say that gnome will also be removed. Gnome? wtf, GNOME? Why would the gnome desktop need to be removed just to uninstall a media player?!? I have to say I have diminished confidence in uninstalling any app that also wants to uninstall a desktop manager like gnome. Am I missing something here other than the obvious which feels like synpatic or apt-get have deep problems with this? I sincerely hope I am wrong and that somehow some way it is actually safe to remove apps that also choose to remove what would seem like critical additional apps like gnome.
    Mine is a default Ubuntu install. Neither abiword or gnome packages are installed on my system.

If i attempt to install abiword it does not pull in the meta package gnome.

What was your original install and what else did you install that pulled in the full gnome dependencies.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    What was your original install and what else did you install that pulled in the full gnome dependencies.
    Linux Mint 15.
    I was not taking notes, so I can not say what I installed. Usually I install Eterm, Songbird, Dropbox, wallpapers.

I am currently using ArtistX (Ubuntu 12.04), working fantastic. No nightmare issues like those that happened with Mint on three separate installs.

Beans
    Distro

Thread moved to the "Other OS/Distro Support" forum.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast