Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 51

Thread: Mint 15: I am scared to uninstall packages

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Southern California, USA
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: I am scared to uninstall packages :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Petro Dawg View Post
    Difference between a meta package and a package?... click below to find out...

    http://askubuntu.com/questions/66257/what-is-the-difference-between-a-meta-package-and-a-package


    Knowledge is power, and knowing is half the battle.
    In the beginning, this was always confusing. It appears to the new user, everything I need is being uninstalled, when in fact, its just references.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    East Yorkshire
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: I am scared to uninstall packages :)

    coder88,
    Why don't you list here all the packages that removing abiword wants to uninstall, then someone may be able to offer more help.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Beans
    126

    Re: I am scared to uninstall packages :)

    Quote Originally Posted by speartip View Post
    coder88,
    Why don't you list here all the packages that removing abiword wants to uninstall, then someone may be able to offer more help.
    Code:
    $ sudo apt-get remove abiword
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
      blender-codecs-ffmpeg1.0 libboost-date-time1.49.0 libcelt0-2 libcmis-0.2-2
      libgnome2-gconf-perl libltcsmpte1 libopenimageio1.1 libreoffice-common
      libreoffice-style-tango linux-headers-3.5.0-25
      linux-headers-3.5.0-25-generic uno-libs3 ure
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    The following extra packages will be installed:
      libreoffice-style-human
    Suggested packages:
      kde-icons-crystal crystalcursors
    Recommended packages:
      libreoffice-core
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
      abiword abiword-plugin-grammar abiword-plugin-mathview gnome
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      libreoffice-style-human
    0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 4 to remove and 53 not upgraded.
    Need to get 2,022 kB of archives.
    After this operation, 2,223 kB disk space will be freed.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Madras, India
    Beans
    201

    Re: I am scared to uninstall packages :)

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMark View Post
    I can see Coder88's point of view, it is annoying that some programs have been packaged in such a way to have completely bizarre dependencies, ...
    Yeah for example here on my 10.10 system the package plymouth, which is totally unnecessary and distracting to me, has been made to depend on every package in the system, as far as I can see! Remove it, and you remove the whole system!!

    I don't understand why things like these are done.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Beans
    3,509

    Re: I am scared to uninstall packages :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Coder88 View Post
    Code:
    $ sudo apt-get remove abiword
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
      blender-codecs-ffmpeg1.0 libboost-date-time1.49.0 libcelt0-2 libcmis-0.2-2
      libgnome2-gconf-perl libltcsmpte1 libopenimageio1.1 libreoffice-common
      libreoffice-style-tango linux-headers-3.5.0-25
      linux-headers-3.5.0-25-generic uno-libs3 ure
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    The following extra packages will be installed:
      libreoffice-style-human
    Suggested packages:
      kde-icons-crystal crystalcursors
    Recommended packages:
      libreoffice-core
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
      abiword abiword-plugin-grammar abiword-plugin-mathview gnome
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      libreoffice-style-human
    0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 4 to remove and 53 not upgraded.
    Need to get 2,022 kB of archives.
    After this operation, 2,223 kB disk space will be freed.
    Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
    As expected....removing abiword and plugins, and the meta-package gnome

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Beans
    126

    Re: I am scared to uninstall packages :)

    Quote Originally Posted by VMC View Post
    In the beginning, this was always confusing. It appears to the new user, everything I need is being uninstalled, when in fact, its just references.
    So a few days ago I installed Linux Mint 15 (Olivia), was running great, then I uninstalled a minor app and suddenly my gnome desktop icons were gone and worse, blah blah blah. So more than just references were uninstalled against my desire. So I switched and did an ArtistX (Ubuntu) install and it is working fantastic. But based on what happened with Mint I am have no desire to risk uninstalling apps until I get to the bottom of this.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Beans
    126

    Re: I am scared to uninstall packages :)

    Quote Originally Posted by santosh83 View Post
    Yeah for example here on my 10.10 system the package plymouth, which is totally unnecessary and distracting to me, has been made to depend on every package in the system, as far as I can see! Remove it, and you remove the whole system!!

    I don't understand why things like these are done.
    Exactly. Maybe as some experts here say, only 'references' are uninstalled (not my experience though), but in the LEAST it is not something noobs should have to see or deal with if linux is to evolve to become even more mainstream.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Madras, India
    Beans
    201

    Re: I am scared to uninstall packages :)

    Quote Originally Posted by Coder88 View Post
    Exactly. Maybe as some experts here say, only 'references' are uninstalled (not my experience though), but in the LEAST it is not something noobs should have to see or deal with if linux is to evolve to become even more mainstream.
    That is why Canonical has long been favouring their Software Center and deprecating Synaptic. In Software Center I doubt even programs like plymouth are listed, seeing as they are at a 'system' level.

    But I guess it would be good practice as far as possible to modularize each program, so they can be added/removed with minimal impact on the rest. Anyway for the life of me I can't understand why plymouth has to depend on hundreds of packages!

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Beans
    2,336
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: I am scared to uninstall packages :)

    I'm with Coder88.

    While meta-packages are good ways to install complex software with many dependencies, insisting on removing something like Gnome when one has asked to remove only a single package with nothing that depends on it is decidely not clever.

    What is in Abiword that all of Gnome depends on it? (News to me. I'm running Gnome Shell and Abiword isn't installed. )

    From my own experience, the workaround of immediately reinstalling the metapackage is not foolproof.

    This issue isn't Ubuntu-specific, btw.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Madras, India
    Beans
    201

    Re: I am scared to uninstall packages :)

    Quote Originally Posted by buzzingrobot View Post
    I'm with Coder88.

    While meta-packages are good ways to install complex software with many dependencies, insisting on removing something like Gnome when one has asked to remove only a single package with nothing that depends on it is decidely not clever.

    What is in Abiword that all of Gnome depends on it? (News to me. I'm running Gnome Shell and Abiword isn't installed. )

    From my own experience, the workaround of immediately reinstalling the metapackage is not foolproof.

    This issue isn't Ubuntu-specific, btw.
    Isn't it rather the fact that the meta-package (for some reason best known only to the maintainer) depends on the package being removed, and hence it too is removed? And wouldn't reinstalling the meta-package pull in the just removed package once again? Just speculating...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •