Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Guide to using Openbox session in Lubuntu

Beans

Re: Guide to using Openbox session?

Hi vasa1, at this time are you running openbox off deb or rpm? Seems you been doing a little testing.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by sammiev View Post
    Hi vasa1, at this time are you running openbox off deb or rpm? Seems you been doing a little testing.
    At this time all I have is standard Lubuntu 13.10 which offers an Openbox session at the time of login. So anyone who has Lubuntu 13.10 can just login in to an Openbox session instead of the default Lubuntu (LXDE) session.

The initial experience is quite "unfriendly" --- just a dark screen. So this thread is all about getting past that

I'll ask a mod to fix the title to read Guide to using Openbox session in Lubuntu. That should make things clearer, I hope.

BTW, it's quite lonely as an Openbox user now that stinkeye has done a runner

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    I'll ask a mod to fix the title to read Guide to using Openbox session in Lubuntu. That should make things clearer, I hope.
    Done. Be aware that although it is only the title on the first post that changes, the new title will be the one that is picked up in searches and used when it is in the thread list.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Done. Be aware that although it is only the title on the first post that changes, the new title will be the one that is picked up in searches and used when it is in the thread list.
    Thanks! What shows up in the thread's list and searches is what I wanted. Maybe now there'll be a few more eyeballs

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

I wish to try OpenBox no-desktop, but do not want it having any mixed action with my current DE. So I wish to put it on a 10G partition and was wondering if you had any tips, maybe other needed packages?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Guide to using Openbox session in Lubuntu

You can always try from the low end starting from the Ubuntu mini.iso and in the basic text version install openbox (or fluxbox or some other window manager with a light foot-print). Then add what you want ... or what people will recommend in the following posts ...

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

I hope the recommends do not start, this is about openbox no-desktop.

Beans
    Hidden!

Do you mean

Code:
    sudo apt-get --no-install-recommends openbox
    to get it as light as possible?

I meant 'human recommends' - suggestions from users of openbox like vasa1.

Beans

I have done openbox using the mini.iso and select what menus you want in your openbox. Take your time and choose wisely, you can also add to the openbox menu with a little work. There was really good post I found in this thread, so it's all here.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ibjsb4 View Post
    I wish to try OpenBox no-desktop, but do not want it having any mixed action with my current DE. So I wish to put it on a 10G partition and was wondering if you had any tips, maybe other needed packages?
    Hi, I started this thread with the specific context of logging into the Openbox session provided to people who have installed regular Lubuntu. Even in such a case, there could be complications arising from editing ~/.gtkrc-2.0 and the other gtk files I wrote about. The settings put down there would interfere with how the Lubuntu session would look if one goes from an Openbox session back to a Lubuntu session.

Of course, once I got used to the Openbox session I found little to no need to go back to the Lubuntu session. Sometimes, I'd go back just to see if I could help someone else who has difficulty with the Lubuntu session.

I don't know about how to have an Openbox session starting with a minimal CD or .iso.
    Shortened urls: See point #11 here. And clicking on them could be risky.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast