Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Uninstalling linux and installing windows 7

Beans

Smile Uninstalling linux and installing windows 7

I have ubuntu 13.04 and I want to be able to use autodesk products.I have a usb with a windows 7 .iso.

How do I install windows 7 over the top of ubuntu, i don't want linux anymore.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Uninstalling linux and installing windows 7

You will need to burn the iso as a bootable dvd, then boot from the dvd.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If memory serves, the Windows installer will simply overwrite whatever it finds on the drive.

If it balks, use the installer to remove and format the Ubuntu partitions, and then proceed.

Beans

It keeps saying it needs to find advice drivers. Hwere qare they and how do I install them.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by toby_peterken View Post
    It keeps saying it needs to find advice drivers. Hwere qare they and how do I install them.
    Do you mean before install or are you talking post install?
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans

Neither. it is during install after you choose the language settings. I have also tried vista and that doesn't work either. I currently only have access to the usb .iso.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Is this a genuine copy of windows? Have you used it before?
    Select the drive and format it before starting the install might help/
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

What kind of hardware is this?

Device drivers can be located and installed via Device Manager. They may also be installed in a Windows Update. They are typically also available directly from the vendors.

On some machines, especially laptops that depend on wifi because no wired ethernet is available, at a minimum the drivers for the wifi card will need to be obtained and placed on a USB stick. Then, when the initial Windows install completes, those drivers can be installed from the USB stick, wifi enabled, and the other missing drivers can then be located, downloaded, and installed.

If you cannot get Windows to install at all because it complains about missing device drivers, you will need to identify and obtain those drivers and make them available during the install.

Beans

How to i find out what driverxs they are and how do i make them avalible.
    @ carl - o have tried many digffernt .isos and none have worked

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You need to know what devices are in the machine to know what drivers are needed. This should be available at the machine's manufacturer's site.

However... Windows is rather good at detecting missing device drivers, finding them for you, and installing them. You will need net access for that. Hence, the suggestion to download (on a working machine) the drivers for your wifi. After Windows is installed, plug in the USB stick containing the driver, launch Device Manager from Control Panel, locate the appropriate entry, you'll be prompted for a location for the driver, so let it find the USB stick (Windows will see it as another drive). When the install completes, reboot and sign into your wifi via the icon in the panel.

If you can install using a wired ethernet connection, this entire dance may be eliminated.

Bottom line: Device Manager will go out on the net and find drivers. Failing that, you can find them at vendor sites. *All* of them may be available at the site of your machine's vendor. But, you must have net access first.

Once I got net access, I'd first run all the Windows Updates because that will likely update many drivers. Keep running them until it says there are no more. Then, check Device Manager for problems.

(Are you sure you are correctly burning bootable iso's, not just copying them as you would music or video files?)
    Last edited by buzzingrobot; September 9th, 2013 at 05:02 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast