Thread: Backbox (Xubuntu) on Acer Aspire One ZA3

Beans

Backbox (Xubuntu) on Acer Aspire One ZA3

Hello, I am having a few issues with a fresh install of Blackbox. Which is built off of Ubuntu and I have yet to find a solution.

The first issue I am having is the odd screen resolution. Which is 1366x768. Xorg seems to be getting confused on the proper display properties. I was able to install the system just fine via text mode installer, however when the system boots I am confronted with a blank screen. I am able to drop down to a system shell (Ctrl+Alt+F1) and login from there. I am required to stop the lightDM service (sudo service lightdm stop) and then restart X (startx) once I do this the proper resolution is achieved and everything on that end seems to work fine. I remember encountering this problem in earlier additions of Ubuntu, I was able to correct it via editing the grub file in /etc/default/grub. However, I cannot remember what exact steps I took. Here is the output of LSPCI:

Code:
    d4rk0wl@Linuxnetbook:~$ lspci | grep VGA
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation System Controller Hub (SCH Poulsbo) Graphics Controller (rev 07)
    The next problem is the most irritating of the two. I am encountering many problems with permissions. It seems the user I have setup at the install does not have permission to do anything. I am unable to adjust power management profiles, connect to any wireless network, or mount USB drives. I have changed the user settings in User Manager (once I restart X) and have given all proper permissions in the advanced settings tab. I have also set the user as an administrator account. However, upon reboot I still do not have any permissions. When I try to do anything I am prompted with the error "Not authorized". I have even tried adding my user to the root group to still no luck. I would really like to avoid logging in as root all the time.

Any help on these matters is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance!

Beans

Re: Backbox (Xubuntu) on Acer Aspire One ZA3

Anyone have any suggestions?

I have found that these problems are purely because of the XFCE desktop environment. I have intalled the LXDE desktop environment to test.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop
    All of the permissions have been restored to normal. However I need the toolkits that came with the install on the XFCE interface.

Thanks in advance,

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Backbox (Xubuntu) on Acer Aspire One ZA3

you didn't just install LXDE desktop, you installed full lubuntu with that command. all this points to one thing ->> that backbox has an issue with your hardware.

if you had to edit grub it means you probably had to use one of the boot options: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

also backbox though based on ubuntu does have some things done differently. it likely even has a different kernel.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla