Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Run Ubuntu 12.04+ *comfortably* on a "700 MHz CPU with 512 MB RAM"? (=Ubuntu info)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Run Ubuntu 12.04+ *comfortably* on a "700 MHz CPU with 512 MB RAM"? (=Ubuntu info

You guys who are low on RAM should try Xubuntu, it's great for low-end systems and comes with a set of lightweight apps. I still use it from time to time (12.04 with latest updates) on an old Athlon XP 2Ghz w/ 1 Gb RAM. More info on lightweight software here: http://wiki.xfce.org/recommendedapps
    "Each choice we take creates a new reality. It's another path. The road not taken." Dr. Walter Bishop

Beans

Re: Run Ubuntu 12.04+ *comfortably* on a "700 MHz CPU with 512 MB RAM"? (=Ubuntu info

To all those who replied, thanks! Since Ubuntu shortened the support period to 9 months, there's no point in installing 13.04 now as it's life will be ending in 4 months. So I shall wait a month more and install 13.10 when it comes out. I will go with 'regular' Ubuntu, the one with Unity on Mir, as it's about time I got myself acquainted with the new way to do GUIs.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Why not the solid 12.04 LTS? Supported until April 2017. Might be easier working with a known entity. If you are intending installing 13.10 on the day of release expect breakages and issues for awhile. You might be lucky, you might not. You can install and start testing it now. Just post any issues in the Ubuntu +1 sub-forum until release.

What I'm saying is by waiting until 13.10 is released might be wasting a bit of time and you are not guaranteed a stable system when it is released (which is why, if you have a spare partition, I would advising sticking it on there now and testing).

Good luck whatever you do.

PS: The rule of thumb used to be to wait two or three months after release til things settled down and most issues were ironed out. For me, kinda pointless with a 9 month cycle and I've only used the LTS releases since 8.04 LTS as my main squeeze (but have four partitions for playthings, naturally).
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; September 8th, 2013 at 10:33 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by sanderj View Post
    Yep. And if 512 MB were enough, it makes you wonder why the Ubuntu Edge Phone had 4GB RAM ... (http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/ubuntu-edge)
    Well, Ubuntu Edge was supposed to be the phone of the future, released in 2014 with Android and Ubuntu Phone integration. Apparently, the designers thought it could use more RAM. Mordern RAM is considerably cheeper then SDRAM or DDR tipically found in old machines.
    ...and, of cause, all of that is irrelevant to the minimal requirements for 12.04.
    Last edited by mikewhatever; September 8th, 2013 at 11:51 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Why not the solid 12.04 LTS? Supported until April 2017. Might be easier working with a known entity. If you are intending installing 13.10 on the day of release expect breakages and issues for awhile. You might be lucky, you might not. You can install and start testing it now. Just post any issues in the Ubuntu +1 sub-forum until release.
    My long experience with 10.10 since it was released has shown how most of the apps start leaving the system behind after 1 1/2 to 2 years, and although Canonical will provide security fixes and a few important backports till '17, I do want to run the latest apps as well. And besides, recently I did a major separation of all my data from the system HDD to an external one, so I no longer depend on a rock solid system, nor having to shuffle data to DVDs every time I needed to wipe and reinstall. Now my internal HDD is almost purely the OS and programs, so I can afford to get on the "reinstall every X months" bandwagon and try out the latest stuff now!

Having to redo a lot of twiddling and customisations would still be a pain every six months, but I mostly run a vanilla system except for a dozen or so extra apps which I can reinstall within a short while.

PS: The rule of thumb used to be to wait two or three months after release til things settled down and most issues were ironed out. For me, kinda pointless with a 9 month cycle and I've only used the LTS releases since 8.04 LTS as my main squeeze (but have four partitions for playthings, naturally).
    So far I've used Dapper, Jaunty and Meerkat, all installed within days of them being released, and didn't encounter any issues. In fact 10.10 has been rock solid even through a major change of motherboard and most peripherals, and hence I'm still with it. Agree though with the new 9 month gestation I'd be pointless to wait even a day longer than necessary!

If I install the 13.10 beta now, do I've to reinstall when the release happens or it can simply be upgraded? If the latter, then I'll try it out now.

Beans

12.04 will run the latest apps. Plus, why not go to 13.04 and then upgrade to 13.10 when it comes out?
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by santosh83 View Post
    My long experience with 10.10 since it was released has shown how most of the apps start leaving the system behind after 1 1/2 to 2 years ...
    ??? 10.10 was only supported for 18 months, so yea, not much would have happened for a long time now and what you describe is exactly what is supposed to happen, what you would expect to happen, and if it didn't happen it would be an anomoly ... !

Your long experience with 10.10 is around 18 months too long as support for it finished in April 2012 (which is when 12.04 LTS was released)!

Good luck.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; September 8th, 2013 at 01:08 PM.

Beans

If I install the 13.10 beta now, do I've to reinstall when the release happens or it can simply be upgraded? If the latter, then I'll try it out now.
    Keep updating, you'll end up on the finished release.

Beans
    Hidden!

No major programs or features should be added from now until the release. It should be mainly bug-fixing etc and artwork. So I think (am almost sure) that you need not reinstall 13.10 when released. But you might have an occasional broken system, so keep a good backup if your tweaks take a lot of time!

If you can dedicate an old computer 100% to the new system, I suggest that you try the One Button Installer, 'OBI' with the SaucyBeta1 tarball.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by codingman View Post
    12.04 will run the latest apps. Plus, why not go to 13.04 and then upgrade to 13.10 when it comes out?
    To take just one example, I like to run Flightgear, and searching on packages.ubuntu.com indicates that the Flightgear version in 12.04 is 2.4 while the one in 13.10 is 2.10. Big difference there, and I'm sure this is the case for many other applications as well. There are of course PPAs, but even they slowly start dropping builds for older systems as time goes on, so I'd prefer to start with the latest possible base (Saucy) rather than 12.04. Now that I've separated all my data onto external media I don't mind reinstalling (or upgrading) every 9 months or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    ??? 10.10 was only supported for 18 months, so yea, not much would have happened for a long time now and what you describe is exactly what is supposed to happen, what you would expect to happen, and if it didn't happen it would be an anomoly ... !
    I certainly understand. The bit you replied to was me explaining why I now want to go with the latest (13.10) rather than 12.04.

Quote Originally Posted by howefield View Post
    Keep updating, you'll end up on the finished release.
    Quote Originally Posted by sudodus View Post
    No major programs or features should be added from now until the release. It should be mainly bug-fixing etc and artwork. So I think (am almost sure) that you need not reinstall 13.10 when released. But you might have an occasional broken system, so keep a good backup if your tweaks take a lot of time!

If you can dedicate an old computer 100% to the new system, I suggest that you try the One Button Installer, 'OBI' with the SaucyBeta1 tarball.
    Noted! I'll try out the beta as soon as it arrives (26th Sep?)!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast