Thread: Q - Router selection

Beans

Q - Router selection

I have been using the router (actually router modem combo) that the cable company provided. I want to save a few bucks by bringing my own modem and router.

Do I need to avoid those routers that come with installation CD for Windows machine? I just wonder if ubuntu PC has disadvantages in router selection/operation.

My need is simple. 3 desktops will be hardwired to the router. Only occasional wireless connections from tablet, cell phone, and children's laptops when they visit home. House is small 2 story.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Q - Router selection

Somewhere between 95% and 100% of broadband routers have a web-based interface to configure them. I.e. Plug it in, go to HTTP://192.168.0.1 in your web browser and put in the details given to you by your ISP. Obviously you should check that the new router has a web-based or browser-based configuration screen before you buy, but literally every router I have used can be set up this way and do not require Windows software.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Re: Q - Router selection

Thank you for clarifying the subject for me.