Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Impossibilitus Interruptus ...

Beans

Re: Impossibilitus Interruptus ...

COF I'm not sure I understand your reasoning for the suggested edit to the OP's .bashrc file

• the PATH environment variable should only affect whether the executable is found without giving an explicit path, not how it is executed
    • the default user setup already sets PATH="$HOME/bin:$PATH" (if it exists) in ~/.profile

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by steeldriver View Post
    COF I'm not sure I understand your reasoning for the suggested edit to the OP's .bashrc file...
    Well, I did it because when I compared Langstracht's PATH to what I have in my PATH, /home/username/bin was the only path that was missing. Since the script runs for me, but doesn't run for him, I thought this may have been the reason for it. So, without having expert knowledge, this was a shot in the dark that I thought might fix the problem, without causing any harm. It seems to me that I had to do this to my .bashrc file at one time long ago, but my memory may not be right about that.
    • the PATH environment variable should only affect whether the executable is found without giving an explicit path, not how it is executed
    Okay. But for some weird reason, it doesn't seem to be found by bash, or maybe bash is finding it but not interpreting the read commands as it should...ugh! Before we put the bash shebang in, the script was throwing errors, Now, it isn't doing that, but it's blasting through the read commands without stopping on them.
    • the default user setup already sets PATH="$HOME/bin:$PATH" (if it exists) in ~/.profile
    Alright, then how come $HOME/bin doesn't show up when we run:
    Code:
    echo "PATH = $PATH"
    Edit: Never mind. I reckon $HOME/bin was never created.

Please don't take what I've written above as being argumentative for the sake of it. My questions are sincere. I have learned much from the Wizards on this forum. I expect that I'll have the good fortune of learning a few new things from you.

As you can see, I'm having a tough time cracking this nut.

How would you do it?

Do you think it would work if Langstracht ran the script with this command?
    Code:
    bash name_of_the_script
    Now that I think about it, I wonder what command he's using to run it.
    We haven't asked him that yet.
    The following throws errors on my machine:
    Code:
    sh name_of_the_script
    But, either of the following works fine for me:
    Code:
    ./name_of_the_script

~~~ OR ~~~

bash name_of_the_script
    Last edited by Crusty Old Fart; September 8th, 2013 at 07:47 AM.
    Suffering from severe chronic female supervision deficiency syndrome resulting in
    an increasing intolerance of adolescent scatological effluence and PMS induced nefarious diatribe.
    How to: Mark your thread as: [SOLVED]

Beans

Oh, man!
    I have my threads confused. There's no "Jonathan" here.
    Time to do some heavy editing.
    Suffering from severe chronic female supervision deficiency syndrome resulting in
    an increasing intolerance of adolescent scatological effluence and PMS induced nefarious diatribe.

Beans

To Langstracht:

I'd like you to answer some more questions:
    1. What Linux operating system are you running?
    2. Are you running your operating system in WUBI?
    3. What application did you use to create your script?
    4. What application have you been using to edit your script?

In the code box below, please replace the text: script.name with the name of your script and post the output from the command
    Code:
    file script.name
    Assuming the name of the file from which your script reads lines is: filename.txt, please post the output from the following command:
    Code:
    file filename.txt
    Thanks,

Crusty

Beans

Much has been going on since my last post. The vast majority of which is beyond my level of comprehension.

That aside, why this would be case I do not know, BUT... having made the suggested changes ... the script now works fine! Glory be.

Seems odd that a pause which should result from a read command would or would not work based on a PATH ... but it seems to be so,

As for putting "code" in a code box ... sorry my pea brain did not make a connection between a display output and a command input.

Thanks to both for clearing this very aggravating situation up.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Langstracht View Post
    Much has been going on since my last post. The vast majority of which is beyond my level of comprehension.

That aside, why this would be case I do not know, BUT... having made the suggested changes ... the script now works fine! Glory be.

Seems odd that a pause which should result from a read command would or would not work based on a PATH ... but it seems to be so,

As for putting "code" in a code box ... sorry my pea brain did not make a connection between a display output and a command input.

Thanks to both for clearing this very aggravating situation up.
    You're mighty welcome.

I really wish I could tell you why the changes we made to ~/.bashrc to modify your PATH fixed the problem. But, I can't because I don't know.

When steeldriver challenged me to explain my reasoning behind the changes I was suggesting, I thought to myself: Uh oh...now, for the sake of being honest, I'm going to have to risk looking like an idiot, admit that I really don't know what the hell I'm doing, and am just taking a "shot in the dark" that might hit the target yet wouldn't harm anything if it missed.

Fortunately, we got lucky and the shot hit the bulls eye. But, still, when it comes to giving a rational, logical, or technically sound explanation for it, I'm clueless. My reasoning was based purely on emotion--I just had a weird "gut" feeling that it might work. Sometimes, when all else fails, it helps to go with "gut" feelings, and at other times, doing so can make a huge mess of things. Knowing that adding another path to PATH wouldn't wreak havoc, I figured we had nothing to lose by taking the shot.

Hopefully, steeldriver, or one of the Wizards on this forum, will pop in here and enlighten us with a little bit of desperately needed education as to why this worked.

So, it's nice to know that things are working for you now. I shared your frustration with this problem more than you know. It was driving me nuts. Often, when I become as frustrated as I had, my patience suffers. I apologize, if during the course of this thread, I came across as being somewhat of an impatient ass. My frustration wasn't with you, but rather with the confusing nature of the problem. And now, the frustration still lingers because we never discovered the underlying cause of the problem, or why the solution worked--maybe we never will.

All the best wishes to you, Langstracht.

Crusty

Code:
        Thank you for marking your thread as: [SOLVED].

_---_
                            /_/|\_\
                           (/-O^O-\)
                    __    /_\\/*\//_\    __
             ------vVVv----- o###o -----vVVv------
                              """

Darthroy was here.
    Last edited by Crusty Old Fart; September 8th, 2013 at 10:07 PM. Reason: correcting grammatical errors.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123