Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Ubuntu PC games can I play?

Beans

Re: What Ubuntu PC games can I play?

Quote Originally Posted by Welly Wu View Post
    Does this mean that I should stop purchasing Ubuntu Linux PC games since I only have an Intel HD Graphics 4000? Or, should I keep getting newer Ubuntu PC games so that I can add them to my Steam for Ubuntu Linux library and then buy a newer System76 notebook PC with much more modern and powerful PC hardware components to play more modern titles?
    You don´t need to stop buying games, I mean there are lots of low demanding indie games released quite often that you should be able to play. As long as the games you have run, I can´t see a reason for you to buy a new notebook. If you´re into gaming and got some cash I would recommend you to buy a desktop computer with a Nvidia GPU, that´s what I did. Your current notebook could then be served for other things and still the games that works on it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Quote Originally Posted by Isaacmarritt View Post
    tiny and bigs leftovers donsnt work on intel graphics. i have the same laptop and i play all of the games you got from the double fine and the games from the humble indie bundle 8 and portal works great but i dont think portal 2 is out for linux
    Portal 2 has not yet come out for Linux, but, consider that Garry's Mod is available for Linux. I bought it on sale on my Win7 partition (it says it's available for Windows and Mac only on the store page), and there it was in my Steam library when I booted back into Linux. If it's available, (and it too uses the Source engine) I expect that Portal 2 for Linux will be out Real Soon Now, probably before Christmas.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Intel HD Graphics 4000 Mobile are the successors of Intel HD Graphics 3000 Mobile.
    They come embedded on the new Intel Ivy Bridge CPUS and the new features include DirectX 11 support, Shader Version of 5.0 and openGL Version of up to 4.0.
    Benchmarks show that some modern games like Mass Effect 3 and Fifa 12 run smoothly at high settings while modern+demanding games like Anno 2070 and COD: MW3 can still be played at medium settings fluently. However, Very Demanding games like Metro 2033 and Risen 2 require very reduced settings and might not appeal to most casual gamers.
    Ultimately, the performance depends on whether or not the system's memory is dual-channel, at which speed it runs and also on the CPU it's embedded since the max core-clock varies from CPU to CPU. Note 1: We will be adding each individual Intel HD 4000 that comes with each CPU in the future. The performance depends a lot on the CPU its embedded as the clock frequencies and other factors variate according to the CPU itself.
    From a comparison here, 4600 is my internal GPU: http://www.game-debate.com/gpu/index...cs-4000-mobile

According to site, 4600 is only 25% "better" than 4000, and I'm able to play Dota2 w/ high quality in HD-res. Sounds to me like you should be pretty ok.
    Last edited by DarkAmbient; September 6th, 2013 at 09:53 PM.
    This is my signature

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

HD 3000 and HD 4000 are not bad chips. some other intel chips are - compared to AMD/nvidia (such as those on netbooks and also some older ones).

opensource drivers don't help you much if the chip is weak.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    opensource drivers don't help you much if the chip is weak.
    Chips don't help you much if the driver is weak.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

If your looking to buy some cheap and low dwmanding linux games the humble indie bundle is out www.humblebundle.com
    loving the lemur ultra

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12