Thread: Software Update

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Software Update

Hi all, I have recently encountered a new problem, but I do not know why/how this was changed. Before, when I ran the sudo apt-get update, if there was an update available, it would prompt the Update manager to update any software. Now, if I run the same command and there is an update available, I am not prompted. I have double-checked this several times by running sudo apt-get update, then when not prompted, I go to Software Up To Date, and I have software that needs to be updated. Am I missing something here? How could this have happened, and should I be worried? Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Software Update

Quote Originally Posted by novice_penguin View Post
    Hi all, I have recently encountered a new problem, but I do not know why/how this was changed. Before, when I ran the sudo apt-get update, if there was an update available, it would prompt the Update manager to update any software. Now, if I run the same command and there is an update available, I am not prompted. I have double-checked this several times by running sudo apt-get update, then when not prompted, I go to Software Up To Date, and I have software that needs to be updated. Am I missing something here? How could this have happened, and should I be worried? Thanks!
    What version of Ubuntu are you running?

You will only get prompted daily by the Update Manager if there are security updates.This behaviour was changed a while back.

If there are only Recommended updates, you will only get prompted once a week. It does a countback to when the last updates were installed.

Of course it doesn't stop you installing the Recommended updates when you want.

Good Luck
    Hypertension = Take with a pinch of salt
    | Psychocats | Ubuntu Documentation | Howto [Solved] | BBcode list | Brother Website |

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you're in 12.04, go to Edit>Software Sources in Software Center, and go to the Updates tab. If you're in 13.04, open Software & Updates and go to the Updates tab. The option of when you're notified of available updates should be there.
    Jane, stop this crazy thing!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Stop running sudo apt-get update. Let the software Updater/Update Manager do its job. Either that or follow sudo apt-get update with
    Code:
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    and do all the updating through the command line. Update Manager runs those two commands. The prompt is to allow you to authorise running apt-get update, which then allows you a review of what is to be downloaded and installed with your authorization.

It is just coincidence that Update Manager is flagging an update about the same time as you are running the apt-get command in a terminal.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ok thanks all!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Ubuntu hasn't updated for more than a week now: before this there were updates every single day. I didn't do anything to the system. There is no warning from Software Updater/Update Manager as there usually was. Is my system dead? Should I be freaking out? Any answers and/or clues will be appreciated.
    Isa Dsouza
    facebook.com/thecrystalclearcontent
    Sell Out—Never; Sold Out—Always!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by isa.dsouza View Post
    Ubuntu hasn't updated for more than a week now: before this there were updates every single day. I didn't do anything to the system. There is no warning from Software Updater/Update Manager as there usually was. Is my system dead? Should I be freaking out? Any answers and/or clues will be appreciated.
    Have you read the thread?

What happens if you run the Software Updater?

Does it say there are Updates to Install?

Any Errors reported?

If there are Updates, what type of Updates?

Recommended or Security?
    Hypertension = Take with a pinch of salt
    | Psychocats | Ubuntu Documentation | Howto [Solved] | BBcode list | Brother Website |

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Have you read the thread? Yes.

What happens if you run the Software Updater? It runs.

Does it say there are Updates to Install? No.

Any Errors reported? System problem detected. Just a few minutes ago. This doesn't happen all the time though.

If there are Updates, what type of Updates? No.

Recommended or Security? No updates. It says the software is up to date.
    Isa Dsouza
    facebook.com/thecrystalclearcontent
    Sell Out—Never; Sold Out—Always!

Beans

I have had similar problem after I upgraded my Lubuntu from 13.04 to 13.10.

Few days ago I noticed that software updater hasn't showed up as often as it used to. When I ran it manually today, there was a lot of updates, both security and other, which installed without problems. Now software updater says that my system is up to date, but I cannot trust that it will notify me when there are updates available, although it is configured to check for updates daily and display security updates immediately.