Thread: I can't go 100% free, libre, open source

Threaded View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I can't go 100% free, libre, open source

Listen. One of the reasons why I switched from Microsoft Windows 7 and 8 to Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS 64 bit was to experience free, libre, open source software as much as possible. I wanted to free myself from closed source proprietary software applications that restricted my freedom to use the software in the way that met my needs. However, this has not been the case. I've learned that I wind up turning to the same closed source proprietary software applications for very specific and narrow features that I can't seem to find elsewhere. Does this necessarily make me a bad Ubuntu user? I don't think so. However, I also do admit that Ubuntu itself is irrelevant. The operating system doesn't matter now. It's the software applications that take precedent. I've purchased numerous open and closed source software applications since I've made the switch and it looks like that trend shall continue in the future. I like the fact that I can hack Ubuntu to make it meet my needs more readily than Microsoft Windows or Apple Macintosh OS X, but that doesn't mean that I'm a champion of free, libre, open source philosophies or beliefs either.

Here's my list of closed source proprietary software applications:

CrashPlan+ 64 bit
    VM Ware Workstation 9.0.2 64 bit
    Moneydance 64 bit
    Intuit Quicken 64 bit
    Microsoft Office 2010 Professional Plus Service Pack 1 32 bit
    Microsoft Office Visio Professional 2010 Service Pack 1 32 bit
    Microsoft Office Project Professional 2010 Service Pack 1 32 bit
    Codeweavers CrossOver for Ubuntu Linux 64 bit
    Steam for Ubuntu Linux 64 bit
    InSync for Google Drive 64 bit
    Adobe Flash, Acrobat Reader, AIR 64 and 32 bit
    Oracle Java 64 bit
    Google Music Manager 64 bit
    Google Chrome 64 bit
    Netflix 32 bit
    Hulu Desktop 64 bit
    Spotify 64 bit
    Ahead Nero for Linux 32 bit
    Zinio Reader 4 32 bit
    Amazon Kindle 64 bit
    Adobe Photoshop, Bridge, ImageReady 64 bit
    LastPass 64 bit
    Comodo Anti-Virus 64 bit
    Skype 64 bit
    Opera 64 bit
    Fluendo Complete Multimedia Pack & DVD Player 64 bit
    Brother MFC-8440 laser multi-function machine drivers

It's a long list of stuff! I'd like to be able to remove these software applications and just go with free, libre, open source software entirely, but I can't do it. I help friends and family and relatives and they use some of the same software titles listed above so I offer them help and technical support.

I'm not having a moral dilemma by any stretch of the imagination. However, I think that I wanted to share this with the community to ask you what do you use for closed source proprietary software applications and why do you need to use it? Could you find an free, libre, open source alternative and make the switch or is it too difficult at this point? How much have you invested in your software so far?

For me, it's quite the investment. I must have invested several thousands of dollars for my software applications. That's part of the reason why I just don't feel like I can abandon all of them. The other reason is that they are useful to have. Some of my family members, relatives, and friends refuse to use any other software applications because they don't know or trust any other alternatives. They are wedded to Microsoft Windows or Apple Macintosh OS X or Google Android or iOS. Since I'm their PC guy, I provide free technical support for a majority of these closed source proprietary software applications.

The dream of free, libre, open source software is a nice one to have. It's noble. However, it isn't reality for me and I just wish that it could be, but my situation dictates that I'll be purchasing more closed source, proprietary software applications in the long term future.

So, what do you use?
    Last edited by Welly Wu; September 3rd, 2013 at 07:00 PM.