Thread: How to stop ubuntu trying to connect to non-existing wifi card after wake-up

Beans

How to stop ubuntu trying to connect to non-existing wifi card after wake-up

After Ubuntu 13.04 wakes from sleep it tries to connect to the net via WiFi, though there is no WiFi-card in the machine. It stays in this mode until I switch it off. Regular shutdown does not work either, I have to push the power button. The problem is annoying, since my PowerFolder Cloud Software stops synchronizing,
    even though both gigabit ethernet ports stay connected (but cannot be disconnected from the menu). This only happens after a wake-up from sleep, not when
    booting.

How do I prevent Ubuntu from trying to connect to a non-existing WiFi-card. ifconfig wlan0 down won't do.

-- Juergen

Machine: MacPro Spring 2008, CPU: 2 x 4-core Xenon, 64 bit, 8 GB Ram

Beans

Re: How to stop ubuntu trying to connect to non-existing wifi card after wake-up

Welcome to the forums Juergen !

Quote Originally Posted by Juergen_Singer View Post
    After Ubuntu 13.04 wakes from sleep it tries to connect to the net via WiFi, though there is no WiFi-card in the machine.
    That is weird. Is this a direct installation on the machine or did you migrate an installation to it?
    Does Network Manager show any wireless connections in its settings (NM drop-down menu > Edit Connections > Wireless tab)? Delete if there are any. If not, or if it gets re-created, please post back the following outputs -

Code:
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
    lsusb
    cat /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules
    ls /etc/pm/sleep.d
    ls /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d
    Also, as soon as the machine comes back from sleep and starts trying to connect, run and post the outputs of -
    Code:
    cat /var/log/syslog | egrep -i 'network|wlan' | tail -40
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans

Re: How to stop ubuntu trying to connect to non-existing wifi card after wake-up

Here ist the requested information (appended below).

I noticed that eth0 does not come up again. it is directly connected (dhcp) to our computing center, which brings up the line only after a 60 sec delay, but ubuntu stops trying after 45 sec.
    eth1 is connected via my local hub with a private IP, so the 60 sec delay does not apply.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Didn't get any hints about a wireless connection attempt. How do you know it is trying to connect via (non-existent) wifi?

There only thing that looks 'slightly' suspicious is the "50unload_alx" script. It doesn't exist by default but "alx" is an ethernet driver. Nevertheless, you may try to disable it for a test -
    Code:
    sudo chmod -x /usr/lib/pm-utils/sleep.d/50unload_alx
    although I doubt if it'll help.

If, as expected, it doesn't make any difference, please reboot > send it to sleep > wake it up, then post the full copies of dmesg and syslog. To archive them -
    Code:
    cd /var/log
    tar -cjf ~/Desktop/logs.tar.bz2 syslog dmesg
    This will create a "logs.tar.bz2" archive file on your desktop whose size will, hopefully, be much less than the forum limit for tar.bz2 attachments. Attach this file in your next post.

It is recommended to check the files in the archives yourself before posting here and delete/obscure lines that may contain potentially sensitive information (for example, MAC addresses).
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags