Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Problem with software center and updates.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Problem with software center and updates.

Thanks for that link, it is useful to me at the moment with my software center not working correctly! As far as synaptic, I already have that but I'm not a fan of it. I know many people like it better but I don't even know how to use it so I prefer the more simple software center for now. Anyway, there is obviously a problem that is making it not work right. I would rather find and fix the problem rather than find something else to work around the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by ibjsb4 View Post
    Try another package manager, see if it will work.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install synaptic
    And for the moment you can see reviews/comments at Ubuntu Apps Directory

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Ok, try this

Code:
    gksudo software-center
    See if will spit out any errors by opening it in terminal.

You can also try a reinstall:

Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge software-center && sudo apt-get install software center
    I am stepping out for a while, check back later.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Okay, when I opened software center in terminal it worked! I could view the reviews. But then I tried to open it normally and I got the same old problem. Here is what it said when I opened it in terminal.

2013-09-03 11:17:07,757 - softwarecenter.region - WARNING - failed to use geoclue: 'org.freedesktop.Geoclue.Error.notAvailable: Geoclue master client has no usable Address providers'
    2013-09-03 11:17:08,111 - softwarecenter.backend.reviews - WARNING - Could not get usefulness from server, no username in config file
    2013-09-03 11:17:08,123 - softwarecenter.plugin - INFO - activating plugin '<module 'webapps_activation' from '/usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/plugins/webapps_activation.pyc'>'
    2013-09-03 11:17:08,139 - softwarecenter.fixme - WARNING - logs to the root logger: '('/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gi/importer.py', 51, 'find_module')'
    2013-09-03 11:17:08,139 - root - ERROR - Could not find any typelib for LaunchpadIntegration
    2013-09-03 11:17:08,240 - softwarecenter.db.pkginfo_impl.aptcache - INFO - aptcache.open()
    2013-09-03 11:17:17,957 - softwarecenter.ui.gtk3.views.lobbyview - WARNING - skipping exhibit for: 'u'spindl'' not available
    2013-09-03 11:17:17,957 - softwarecenter.ui.gtk3.views.lobbyview - WARNING - skipping exhibit for: 'u'wakfu'' not available
    2013-09-03 11:17:17,963 - softwarecenter.ui.gtk3.widgets.exhibits - WARNING - download failed: '<class 'gi._glib.GError'>', 'Operation not supported'
    2013-09-03 11:17:23,971 - softwarecenter.db.utils - INFO - software-center-agent finished with status 0
    2013-09-03 11:17:29,277 - softwarecenter.ui.gtk3.widgets.exhibits - WARNING - download failed: '<class 'gi._glib.GError'>', 'Operation not supported'

Should I go ahead and try to re-install the software center?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Okay, I went ahead and tried to re-install software center. It uninstalled fine but when I tried to install it, I get these errors.

Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    E: Unable to locate package software
    E: Unable to locate package center

So Then I went to synaptic and located the software center and tried to install it and I got these errors.

E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.
    E: Error, pkgProblemResolver::Resolve generated breaks, this may be caused by held packages.
    E: Unable to correct dependencies
    E: Unable to lock the download directory

My second attempt to install software center through synaptic was successful BUT now I'm back to were I was before. Software center works, just still the annoying endless loading of the reviews and recommendations.

Opening software center through terminal with "gksudo software-center" allows everything to work correctly and the reviews and recommendations load up fine, it's just when I try to open it normally it messes up.
    Last edited by jesus-freak; September 3rd, 2013 at 04:43 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

With this latest info does anyone have any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

jesus-freak; Hi !
    Looks like you attempted to install "software center" as two different packages (??)
    E: Unable to locate package software
    E: Unable to locate package center
    Do not know what damage might have been done. But, try as:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install software-center
    note the "-" between the terms makes it the one application you are dealing with(proper name).

just try'n to help
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Okay, just so you know, I never did anything to the software center, it just started acting up on it's own about 2 months ago. Secondly, I only did what the other person suggested. They said I should try to remove the software center and re install it. They gave me these codes to do it with sudo apt-get remove --purge software-center to remove it and sudo apt-get install software center to re install it. I successfully uninstalled it using that code, it was completely gone. Then I tried to run the install code and got a error message and it was not installed, it was still 100% gone at this point. So then I tried to install it using synaptic and I also got a error message and it didn't let me install it at all, it was still 100% gone. Then I tried to install it again using synaptic and this time it installed okay BUT I'm still left with the exact same problem I started out with, the reviews and suggestions won't load. So in short I did absolutely nothing to get this problem in the first place, it just popped out of no where and after all I've tried I'm left with the same problem I started with. Now, after running the code you just suggested here are the results.

Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    software-center is already the newest version.
    The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
    bve-route-cross-city-south bve-train-br-class-323
    bve-train-br-class-323-3dcab firefox-globalmenu libboost-signals1.49.0
    libloudmouth1-0 libopal3.10.10 python-cssselect
    Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
    justdrea@justdrea-Satellite-A665:~$ apt-get autoremove
    E: Could not open lock file /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (13: Permission denied)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), are you root?

Thanks for your help!

Beans
    Distro

jesus-freak; Hi !

Hey .. calm down .. We are all human and can make mistakes. Look at what all you are learning in the process of learning to live with your operating system of choice. May I offer that is is an example to always be aware of what/how you are telling your system what to do ...you are the one ultimately responsible - we all get tired and can make an error.
    Ok .. things with the OS look in good shape ..
    The last error message just indicates that you are attempting to alter the system without providing the authority to do so:
    justdrea@justdrea-Satellite-A665:~$ apt-get autoremove
    Give the authority with "sudo"
    Code:
    sudo apt-get autoremove
    OK ??

now back to the situation at hand .. update the status to us by once more providing the errors generated when software-center is started from the CLI:
    Code:
    gksudo software-center
    And let's see where we stand now.

open source, we are all in this together

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'm calm, I was just making sure that you knew that I wasn't here because I'm trying to fix something that I did wrong because as far as I know I did nothing. I go online, I use skype,I use office, I listen to music, I play videos, that is about the extent of my computer usage. I'm not an advanced user and so I don't do things unless I'm sure of what I'm doing. Of course sometimes we can do something totally normal or innocent and the result can do damage. But as far as I know I never did anything to damage it. One day it worked, the next day it didn't. I had not installed any new software or removed any software in between it working and it not working. No hardware changes, nothing. To me it's a mystery. Anyway, when I use the command gksudo software-center The software center opens and everything seems to work correctly. Here are the results of that.

2013-09-03 23:34:05,043 - softwarecenter.db.utils - INFO - software-center-agent finished with status 0
    2013-09-03 23:34:07,319 - softwarecenter.ui.gtk3.widgets.exhibits - WARNING - download failed: '<class 'gi._glib.GError'>', 'Operation not supported'

But still when I open software center normally I have the same problem.
    Thanks so much for your help.

Beans
    Distro

jesus-freak; Well...
    To be upfront, the GUI is not an area of interest to me and I am deficient in knowledge. As the application functions when started from the CLI, must be a "failure to communicate" at the GUI layer. In looking about I ran across this intriguing bit of info:
    Michael Vogt (mvo) wrote on 2012-04-13: #2
    Thanks for your bugreport, I don't quite understand.

software-center does not need to run as root for a start, what exactly is the error in question?
    let us try this and see what is reported:
    Code:
    software-center &
    inquiring minds want to know

Happy ubuntu'n !

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast