Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Malware killed Microsoft Windows 7

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Malware killed Microsoft Windows 7

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    Oh some advice to make ubuntu as simple as possible for a beginner add the line
    Code:
    alias update='sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade'
    to your .bashrc file in home and reboot. So to update the entire system all he has to do is type update,enter his password, and hit y when prompted.
    OR, they can just click Install/Apply when the update prompt comes up. Unless I'm going to be installing programs, this is usually what I do. If I need to update/upgrade manually, then I use this:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    Does the same as the GUI updater program.
    Thinkpad T430, Intel i5-3320M (Ivy), 8GB RAM, Intel HD 4000, 500GB HDD: Xubuntu 20.04 LTS 64bit

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by zer010 View Post
    OR, they can just click Install/Apply when the update prompt comes up. Unless I'm going to be installing programs, this is usually what I do. If I need to update/upgrade manually, then I use this:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    Does the same as the GUI updater program.
    Exactly the same thing. I just don't think it gets any simpler than just opening a terminal and typing the word update.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Welcome to the Recurring Discussions.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

There's just Ubuntu Unity and Lubuntu desktop environments right now. I did not install GNOME 3 and K Desktop Environment yet.

I installed CrashPlan+ since both he and I use the service.

There is a Piplelight and Netflix PPA at Compholio to install Netflix on Ubuntu. There's an old Hulu Desktop for Ubuntu Linux installer for 32 and 64 bit. There's a PPA for Spotify available. You can do searches. I'm using these services right now and they work in Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS 64 bit.

I chose a LTS release because it's extra stable. He doesn't know how to upgrade Ubuntu to a newer release version and he doesn't like big changes. He wants things to be as simple and stable as possible. He's old and retired you know. This is why I didn't choose to install 13.04 64 bit.

I prefer LTS releases myself because of those same reasons. 13.04 had numerous problems when I installed PPAs and it was buggy and lots of software applications crashed randomly. LTS releases are much more stable and mature from my experience.

He's coming over tonight in about one hour. He's going to help me out with some requests that I made to bring some stuff to my apartment. I'll let him play with Ubuntu for one hour at my apartment to see if he's comfortable with it or not. Hopefully, he will like it enough to use it as his daily driver. We shall see.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    ..if you're in a situation in which you're supporting a Windows user, and you do not want to constantly reinstall from scratch, take the working Windows installation and use CloneZilla to clone that to an external hard drive...
    The first thing I do after fully setting up a system, windows or Linux^^.

The next thing I do is to re-run clonezilla and create an 'Autorestore' zip image from the backup. Next time they call me, all I have to tell them is how to extract the zip on a usb drive (if they can't permanently dedicate a cheap pen drive as a restore media) and run the boot-installer batch file. Five to ten minutes on the phone.
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

He likes Ubuntu! He's used it before, but briefly. Now that he uses Ubuntu daily, he's getting the hang of it. I'm expecting that he'll have a shorter learning curve than most other people because I introduced him to Ubuntu and various other GNU/Linux operating systems in the past. He's coming over to my Nutley, NJ apartment this Sunday and I'll plan to teach him some more about Ubuntu in a series of tutorials each Sunday. I'm hoping that he'll be a quick learner and he'll pick up Ubuntu faster because of my hands on tutorials.

He remarked that he likes the fact that he doesn't need to waste his time and money to buy specialized software applications to keep his Ubuntu PC safe and secure and well maintained. He used to spend 2 hours every Sunday just to do house cleaning chores on his Windows 7 PC. It used to bother him because he'd spend more time taking care of his Windows 7 PC rather than using it to be productive.

He also likes that the security is better and it's not so overt. He doesn't have to play around with various security tools to harden Ubuntu for his basic web surfing needs and printing needs which is a big relief for him. He had all of my Windows security software installed on Windows 7 and it was over a dozen security software tools that were highly specialized. They competed against one another and it was laborious to manage different security tools to make them work together.

I gave him a couple of .PDF e-books to read about Ubuntu including beginner's guides. He's reading them this week and I hope he has a better understanding of Ubuntu and Linux in general layman's terms over time. He reads and learns by doing.

I have a suspicion that he'll come around to prefer Ubuntu and Linux in general by the end of this year. He's contemplating buying another Windows 7 PC, but I told him to hold off until he's mastered Ubuntu.

I keep in touch with him daily and so far he's taking to Ubuntu quite well. He hasn't thrown out his ASUS PC out the window yet.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123