Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help me rank distros in difficulty level

Beans

Help me rank distros in difficulty level

I'm currently developing a forum ranking system for my forum (I won't list it here since doing so would be spamming) in which you slowly install more operating systems the more you post. You start of setting up the computer, going through a massive phase of DOS, then Windows then Mac Classic then Mac OSX and finally I'm gunna do some linux phases followed by less known operating systems.

For the 15 Linux phases I want to have 15 popular/well known Distros included. 5 will be in the easy/beginner phases, 5 in the Intermediate phases and 5 in the advanced phases. So I'm thinking:

Beginner:
    - Ubuntu
    - Linux Mint
    - PinguyOS

Intermediate:
    - Debian
    - Fedora
    - TinyCore Linux
    - Arch Linux

Advanced:
    - Gentoo
    - Linux From Scratch

I'm still not sure what others to add and whether Debian and fedora should be in the intermediate phase... What do you think and remember that I'd like to also list them from easiest/beginner to hardest/advanced within their own categories too.

Thanks in advance for your help

ibjsb4 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans

Re: Help me rank distros in difficulty level

Ubuntu should have sub categories. For example if installing ubuntu with the 'mini.iso', that would be advance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have tried manjaro and pclinuxos that are on the distrowatch top 10. there is also mageia (use to be mandriva)

I don't know where they fit in as I would say they are between beginner and intermediate

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I would have classed Debian as "beginner".

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

A distro can present a certain level of difficulty when it comes to installing it and setting it up, and a completely different level of difficulty in keeping it maintained. For example, Debian Stable, once it's installed and set up, seems like I never have to do anything but run Synaptic for updates every now and then; it's about as easy to maintain as it gets.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

You can add Linux Lite to beginner. Or maybe "more windows-like".
    "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I would also include Puppy Linux as intermediate (or possibly advanced depending what it is being used for). Although rather easy to use at its surface, it does boot with root privileges which should be used by someone who knows what they are doing.
    Last edited by Petro Dawg; September 1st, 2013 at 04:12 PM.
    Who's Awesome? You're Awesome.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Will this ranking also be for fun ?

If so, first GNU/Linux rank should be Yggdrasil (first Linux distro), you forgot Slackware (probably advanced, the oldest distro still undergoing development), Knoopix (probably beginner, first Live CD), MythTV, Back Track (forensics, intermediate/advanced), CentOS, SUSE and openSUSE, crunchbang etc.

You should probably sneak in Android and Google Chrome OS somewhere.

More here for confidential distros if you want to look smart in a conversation ^^: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._distributions
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

I'm not sure I like the difficulty levels being ranked "beginner, intermediate, and advanced", as it implies that "Beginner" is not only easier to install, but less capable in production use than is "advanced". And I don't think that's true of any of the distributions. A distribution that's easy to install and set up, AND performs well AND supports advanced operations is not merely "Beginner" if you ask me.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by llanitedave View Post
    I'm not sure I like the difficulty levels being ranked "beginner, intermediate, and advanced", as it implies that "Beginner" is not only easier to install, but less capable in production use than is "advanced". And I don't think that's true of any of the distributions. A distribution that's easy to install and set up, AND performs well AND supports advanced operations is not merely "Beginner" if you ask me.
    Well, yes, but let's not forget the purpose of the OP. It wont be a state of the art essay
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast