Thread: I guess this will be goodbye - and I know it will make a lot of people happy

squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I guess this will be goodbye - and I know it will make a lot of people happy

I'm just saying goodbye in advance, since I know this will probably lead to me being banned from the forums.

Why can't people actually try to help others in a way that meets their experience level? I've tried to help on several threads, and it seems people are more interested in telling me I'm wrong, not explaining why, and not hellping the OP. Don't bitch - offer a solution with an explanation that fits the OP's experience level - EXPLAIN what you are doing instead of just "do this this and this".

To me it seems most users are more interested in telling me I'm wrong than anything else in a thread. So be it.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: I guess this will be goodbye - and I know it will make a lot of people happy

Thread moved to The Cafe.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: I guess this will be goodbye - and I know it will make a lot of people happy

Best of luck in any future endeavors.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

We have a nice little forum you can try. Maybe a smaller forum will sute you better.
    (See sig.)
    A friendly & helpful Linux community who has started a large cursor theme project. If you are sick of tiny cursors, go here and get one.
    http://linuxinternationals.org/forum...orum.php?f=166

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Hello, squakie.

Honestly, I do not see any reason to ban you, neither in what you wrote, nor in the way you expressed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by squakie View Post
    Why can't people actually try to help others in a way that meets their experience level?
    Well, let us look at the problem from the perspective of the one who is willing to help and posts an answer.
    How can he make an educated guess about the experience level of the person who posts a problem?
    As a rule initially you have got only one post to guess at which level of expertise to reply.
    Sometimes you succeed and reply at the right technical level. Sometimes you don't.

EXPLAIN what you are doing instead of just "do this this and this".
    Well, sometimes I will explain the reasons, in cases where there is a hint that the person whom I am helping is interested in understanding the reasons. Very often users, however, just want to get a quick solution and do not care about why something went wrong, how to diagnose and how to fix. Simply fix the problem.
    And let us be honest: We all do our forum work in our spare time. Explaining what each command that you post does and why it should be run in this situation is time consuming. And cases are not rare where you find out that your recipient neither understands your explanation (wrong level of experience), nor cares about it. As a result you post explanations sparingly.

Kind regards,
    Karl
    Last edited by Karlchen; September 1st, 2013 at 04:21 PM.
    "I killed her in pure self-defense", said the bear after crushing the mouse. "She threatened my life."
    War (What is it good for)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Karlchen View Post
    Hello, squakie.

Honestly, I do not see any reason to ban you, neither in what you wrote, nor in the way you expressed it.
    <snip>
    Kind regards,
    Karl
    I agree, nothing wrong with that. It's also helpful if the person requesting help gives a hint about their experience level.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Well, goodbye squakie and most important, have fun
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Hey, folks.

No-one is forced to reply to squakie. Therefore I wonder a bit why forum moderators who take the time to join this chat simply wish farewell to squakie?
    Users asking for help will expect to get answers written in a way they can understand. Expressing this expectation is legitimate. This is what squakie did.
    Does this not deserve a better answer than a simple "farewell" which might be understood as "You are leaving at last, old grumbler"?
    How about a statement on the discrepancy between the level of technical expertise of people reporting problems and the technical level on which the replies are often written? - Even if the truth may be that we forum users will never manage to close the gap completely?

Karl
    "I killed her in pure self-defense", said the bear after crushing the mouse. "She threatened my life."
    War (What is it good for)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Closing thread.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Karlchen View Post
    Hey, folks.

No-one is forced to reply to squakie. Therefore I wonder a bit why forum moderators who take the time to join this chat simply wish farewell to squakie?
    Users asking for help will expect to get answers written in a way they can understand. Expressing this expectation is legitimate. This is what squakie did.
    Does this not deserve a better answer than a simple "farewell" which might be understood as "You are leaving at last, old grumbler"?
    How about a statement on the discrepancy between the level of technical expertise of people reporting problems and the technical level on which the replies are often written? - Even if the truth may be that we forum users will never manage to close the gap completely?

Karl
    I do not want to open the door to a thread going warp speed.
    We are open forums. People come and go, even come back.
    We are help forums. People ask for help or offer support. If something is wrong in a thread, please report it for the Staff to have a look.
    We also have chat areas. Someone leaves, I say good bye. Someone comes in, I say welcome. That is about it. I've seen so many valuable contributors move on, so many others come in, the perpetual motion of a forums life.

People are here because they want to. They stay because they want to. They leave because they want to.

Edit, sorry Elfy, you closed when I was posting
    Please remove if you feel so.
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]