Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dell optiplex 320, installation problem

Beans

Angry Dell optiplex 320, installation problem

I recorded the whole install and crash with my cell phone because I don't know what is going on.
    I have heard this computer is a ubuntu killer and there is sata issues so this time I disabled the sata drives in cmos and here is the link to the video on you tube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7Xe5iWRtCg

it should not be this hard to install ubuntu.

Beans

Re: video of dell optiplex 320 ubuntu killer!!!!

specs:
    dell optiplex 320
    64 bit
    dual core
    1.8 ghz cpu
    2 pata hd's
    4 sata hd's (disabled in cmos) for this video
    ati hd5450 video card

for the love of god, I just want ubuntu to work....
    this is about the 20th time I have tried.
    each time I try changing something to make it install
    1 time I did get it to install but it soon locked up and crashed and would not reboot into linux!!!!
    I have tried to install ubuntu 64 and 32, and I have tried to install mint 64 and 32 I have also tried different version of each of these!!!!
    that is 4 versions and it is always different errors and install fail every time....
    Last edited by stevecobb76; September 1st, 2013 at 09:49 PM. Reason: added info

Beans

Re: Dell optiplex 320, installation problem

I can install ubuntu on my netbook
    I can even install ubuntu on my rooted android phone
    but the machine I really need it on gives me hell!!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hi, welcome to the fora.

Yes, the 320 is a well-known problem (unlike most of the Dells, which almost never give me any hassle).

The crash in your film looks like a kernel panic. As a first test, are you able to install the minimal 13.04?
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

I have only used ubuntu and mint.. I prefer ubuntu
    I will conduct the test "install minimal 13.04" and then I will let you know what happened with video or pictures.

Beans

as per morgeas, I did the first test. I installed ubuntu 13.04 minimal.
    no problems at all until the end of the install when I got a grub 2 install fatal error.
    one of the options was to install lilo instead of grub but that didn't seem to work.
    os was not found I do have screenshots of error if you want I will post it.

as with my last test, sata hd's were disabled in cmos and also cmos set to boot from pata drives
    also I DID NOT install any optional software!!!

so, where do I go from here...

UBUNTU OR BUST
    thank you for all the help!!!
    Last edited by stevecobb76; September 2nd, 2013 at 12:00 AM. Reason: added info

Beans

also after skip and continue to pass the grub 2 error after several tries, on reboot I get grub rescue prompt!

Beans

getting closer.... I tried Kubuntu. installed with only 1 error that whizzed by to fast for me to record it. and I got some trivial errors after running it. I just ran the update and installed firefox... it is not ubuntu like I wanted but I think that I can get used to it. it has a unique user interface/gui... that is for sure.

I will keep working on ubuntu though

Beans
    Hidden!

Are you installing to the whole drive, or have you got Windows on the drive and want to keep it? Since you have many HDD drives, I suggest that you try to install Ubuntu or an Ubuntu based flavour (Lubuntu or Xubuntu) or derivative (Mint ...) onto its own HDD using all of it.

For old hardware I would suggest that you try an older version of Ubuntu, 12.04 LTS, and/or why not a lighter version, maybe Lubuntu, Xubuntu, LXLE or Precise Gnome Classic Tweaks.

You can also avoid the standard installers and try the new One Button Installer, that I am making ready for a wider group of people to use right now.

What graphics chip/card is there in the computer? Maybe that is one of the obstacles, that the built-in graphics drivers do not work. In that case you can use the nomodeset boot option and (after the installation) try to install a proprietary driver.
    Last edited by sudodus; September 2nd, 2013 at 09:07 AM. Reason: specified Ubuntu *12.04 LTS*

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by stevecobb76 View Post
    getting closer.... I tried Kubuntu. installed with only 1 error that whizzed by to fast for me to record it. and I got some trivial errors after running it. I just ran the update and installed firefox... it is not ubuntu like I wanted but I think that I can get used to it. it has a unique user interface/gui... that is for sure.

I will keep working on ubuntu though
    Congratulations

If Kubuntu works, Ubuntu and the other flavours should work too, because it is the same engine under the hood, the same hardware drivers ... please share with the forum community, what tweaks you used to make it work

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast