Thread: please link my email to my former account

Beans

please link my email to my former account

Hi, I'm known on here as cb5online. Unfortunately whilst trying to log in with this new system of yours, I was issued with this user name which I didn't ask for and now I can't get access to my previous user name.
    You can kill this one, just link my email to cb5online please.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1095258&
    ^there's my profile page for your info.
    No mad rush, I know you're all busy. Thanks for the help.

Also, I'm having issues with this forum too... when I log in using the new page, I get 'vBulletin... invalid redirect url' and a long url full of numbers, with an ampersand at the end. Removing the ampersand makes the url work and I can post. But I have to manually copy and paste this into the address bar. Anyone else having issues like this I wonder?

Beans

Re: please link my email to my former account

Here's the exact message:
    "vBulletin Message"
    "Invalid Redirect URL (http://ubuntuforums.org?)"

Beans

Okay, it didn't like that. Here it is again "(http://ubuntuforums.org?)"

Beans

It refuses to let me post the actual url, it truncates it. Fml. I tried.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by michael52 View Post
    You can kill this one, just link my email to cb5online please.
    We don't do it that way. It sounds as though you didn't read the prelogin notice, or the sticky that it links to.

Set the hotmail email that is registered to cb5online as the preferred email in your Ubuntu One account, log out of the forum and log in again. I've disassociated michael52 from Ubuntu One, so that if you log in with the correct email you will associate your Ubuntu One account with the old forum account.

As far as the invalid redirect message goes, this is not the place to deal with that. Since I don't remember anyone reporting this issue before, it's likely to be a browser problem your end. If you need help with that, post in Forum Feedback & Help.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Well, I did read the prelogin notice. But ubuntu one seemed to have my details all ready input so I just clicked through.

I can't set the hotmail email that is registered to cb5online as the preferred email in my ubuntu one account because
    1. Ubuntu one swears blind that there is already an account registered to my hotmail email address
    2. I don't know what password I used to register this hotmail account
    3. I don't have that email address any more.

Ubuntu one still brings me here as 'michael52' so it doesn't appear as though it is disasocciated.
    All I want to be able to do is log in as I always have and post as normal under my account. Is that so difficult now? Evidently so.
    We don't do it that way.
    Well can you try to do it that way, please?

Beans

And for the record, I thought the redirect was related to this problem, which is why I shared it here.

Beans

I've re-read the sticky and I'm taking this up with ubuntu one. I'm sure this login change will raise awareness of ubuntu one and raise revenue for canonical but it's bloody annoying to people like me.

Beans

Do you know what? I can only find one post by cb5online... :/ whatever. It's clear relinking accounts isn't going to make any blinkin' difference then. I'll just create a new id if I need to use this forum again. Cheers coffeecat. <3

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I can't set the hotmail email that is registered to cb5online as the preferred email in my ubuntu one account because
    1. Ubuntu one swears blind that there is already an account registered to my hotmail email address
    2. I don't know what password I used to register this hotmail account
    3. I don't have that email address any more.
    That's because you have a second pre-existing Ubuntu One account with that hotmail address. If you've forgotten your password, there is a "forgot your password?" option at the Ubuntu One login stage. But of course, if the hotmail is no longer active that won't help you and that particular Ubuntu One account will not be usable.

Ubuntu one still brings me here as 'michael52' so it doesn't appear as though it is disasocciated.
    Yes, it was disassociated. All that's happened is that you logged in again from Ubuntu One set with a preferred email matching the michael52 account and the system has reassociated the two. It's not rocket science.

Do you know what? I can only find one post by cb5online... :/ whatever.
    There are 15 posts from cb5online, easily found from the profile link you posted in your OP.

It's clear relinking accounts isn't going to make any blinkin' difference then. I'll just create a new id if I need to use this forum again. Cheers coffeecat. <3
    Duplicate active accounts are not permitted, so don't make any more. Unintended duplicate accounts made by people who use the wrong email in Ubuntu One are used until such time as we can restore the original account to them, after which we disable the superfluous account.

Restoring people to their older account is very easy - or at least is for most people. Plan A is to get them to set the correct email in Ubuntu One. If that is not possible, such as for the reasons you describe, then plan B is for the account holder to prove they are the registrant of the old account by giving us the full email address confidentially in a pm, after which we have a way of associating the old account to Ubuntu One. As I said - easy. But instead you asked us to "link your email to cb5online". No, certainly not. Standard security practive requires you to prove you are the owner of that account before you can be given access to it. And now you have posted no fewer than four consecutive posts which merely muddle what should have been a straightforward task.

I'll do nothing for now and leave you to decide what it is you would like to happen.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.