Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: can anyone who likes the 12.xx Unity interface tell me why?

Beans

Re: can anyone who likes the 12.xx Unity interface tell me why?

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Paul: have you considered Cairo Dock session instead of XFCE? I agree that they should provide the option of moving the unity launcher to the bottom but Cairo Dock is a very decent way around it...
    When Cairo Dock is installed, you can log into it as a seperate session on which you would still have the global menu/top panel as on unity session but instead of Unity Launcher, you'd have Cairo Dock on the bottom instead...And instead of the dash search, they give you a "fan out apps menu" just like old ubuntu had...

Also, the available Cairo Dock in the software center has a customized ubuntu-style default (though that can be changed to look even more mac-like but the default one is a great blend in for ubuntu)...
    http://www.glx-dock.org/
    If someone likes Unity save for the fact that they can't move the dock, why would they want to give up the dash search for a menu without a good search feature like in Cinnamon and KDE? Why can't we have both customizability and functionality?
    Last edited by montag dp; August 30th, 2013 at 09:59 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I put docks on the left, too. Maybe because I'm left handed.

Not sure what would break if Launcher could be relocated. Perhaps some of the functionality is hardwired to that location.

it also doesn't change its vertical dimensions as you add/remove icons.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

buzzingrobot makes a very good point...the unity launcher does not change size (i am not talking pixel size)...if it was moved to the bottom, you'd want it to be smaller (like a mac dock which does not run the entire width of the screen).
    so perhaps it isn't technically feasible to do it...I know there use to be a "hack" to do it in earlier ubuntu editions but it did look kind of weird stretching the FULL WIDTH of the bottom of the screen...http://www.webupd8.org/2011/10/how-t...bottom-of.html
    take a look at it on the linked article...the hack is no longer available...
    Last edited by craig10x; August 30th, 2013 at 10:19 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    For me it is just a dock. I really like the HUD (accessed by hitting alt or the super key, I can't remember).
    When you really like something, which buttons work shouldn't matter.
    Love knows no bound.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Derek_Tombrello View Post
    This is the most confusing interface I have every used. Instead of menus, I either have to type in what I want, or scroll through 193 programs all lumped together. I can't find a "Show Desktop" icon. Running programs are added to the bottom of the sidebar, meaning for me that I have to scroll down through a dozen icons to pull up one that is "minimized". I hate the "Minimize/Maximize/Close" buttons on the left side, but I can't figure out how to get them on the right...

I never have to scroll through 193 programs. Unity remembers the programs you have used, if you want a recently used prgram just open the dash (super key or click) then it is right there. If it is not recent chances are you only have to type in a a few words, say gp then gparted will show up (the first time when you use an application you may have to search through the application lense but the applications are grouped into categories, there is a button for showing applications in categories on the upper right corner). It is much more efficient than searching through a maze of sub menus where the grouping are sometimes kind of arbitrary and differ from distro to distro. (system, administration seem to have a lot of different possibilities depending on your DE and distro) In fact I am so spoiled by Unity that I find the menu in KDE and xfce etc unusable, so when I install non Ubuntu distros I would choose gnome-shell instead of any of the traditional desktops as it is very similar to Unity. (My mistake to have put KDE on Fedora. )

The dash is one killer feature of Unity, in fact you can even do away with the dock as far as finding applications goes, but it is pretty.

BTW, if the menu is so efficient then you wouldn't find people pinning icons all over their desktop in order to avoid it. It is a pain to search through a heirarchical menu tree to find an application, it is just that you have gotten used to it.

P.S. You can get a show desktop icon with ccsm.
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/12654...o-the-launcher
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; August 31st, 2013 at 05:02 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

"if the menu is so efficient then you wouldn't find people pinning icons all over their desktop in order to avoid it. It is a pain to search through a heirarchical menu tree to find an application, it is just that you have gotten used to it."

yeah...you know i have mentioned that a lot but i don't think they realize that...i always say, how is mousing through a big fan out list of apps faster and more efficient then typing a few letters in the dash or as you said, simply looking at your apps list on the dash...

also, how many darn apps do they use for gosh sake...i have about 6 favorites and about 6 to 8 frequently used apps and they fit on the unity launcher easily and neatly...they act like they got say 40 apps to constantly access..what the heck are all these apps they are using that they can't even remember the names of half of them!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    yeah...you know i have mentioned that a lot but i don't think they realize that...i always say, how is mousing through a big fan out list of apps faster and more efficient then typing a few letters in the dash or as you said, simply looking at your apps list on the dash...

also, how many darn apps do they use for gosh sake...i have about 6 favorites and about 6 to 8 frequently used apps and they fit on the unity launcher easily and neatly...they act like they got say 40 apps to constantly access..what the heck are all these apps they are using that they can't even remember the names of half of them!
    Traditional DEs can do the same thing. On my Kubuntu system, I have 16 small launchers neatly arranged on my panel. I very rarely have to go into the menu. So whats the advantage to Unity? You have launchers for your favorite programs on a panel. So do I. For other, less used programs, you have to either type them into the dash or scroll through a long list of programs. I have to click three times. I dont get it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You can pin all your apps to the launcher if you want.
    Then they'll open with one click.
    Earn Your Keep

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    You can pin all your apps to the launcher if you want.
    Then they'll open with one click.
    You can do that with just about any other DE too.....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by whatthefunk View Post
    You can do that with just about any other DE too.....
    You mean any other DE can have over 100 icons on a single panel without losing it's size and shape?
    Neat.
    Earn Your Keep

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast