Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 802.11AC and Ubuntu

Hybrid View

Beans

802.11AC and Ubuntu

Are there any available drivers or a potential work around that will enable the AC wireless on Ubuntu. I plan on buying a laptop and upgrading the cheap wireless card on it and since I just recently purchased an AC router I fugured why not get the latest options available.

But looking into the issue it might not be that simple, am I better off sticking with N for the time being? Or is there a work around/drivers that will enable this feature?

The card I'm looking at is
    http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Network-...ords=802.11+ac

But if there's another option please, I'm all ears. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: 802.11AC and Ubuntu

This may be helpful to you: http://wikidevi.com/wiki/List_of_802.11ac_Hardware

Although I specialize in wireless here and on other forums, I haven't encountered any of the devices mentioned in the link. Remarkably, I have encountered the device you linked; check here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/33166...260-version-63
    +1 This worked for me. – Peter Lawrey Aug 14 at 6:25
    I assume he means that it connects and passes traffic. Whether he includes 802.11ac, I do not know.

Be very careful about swapping wireless cards. Many manufacturers include a whitelist in the BIOS allowing only specific cards. Lenovo is a good example. I suggest you Google the laptop manufacturer and 'whiteliist' before you proceed.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

I looked up the specs on Intel's site and it does state Win and Linux compatible. Question is will it be operating on the AC or the N protocol once I boot Ubuntu?! I guess I'll find out.

Yes I'm aware of the white list Lenovo implements, I plan on installing an unlocked BIOS I've also looked up and seems to be working for people. Thanks for the heads up though.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by danny7 View Post
    Question is will it be operating on the AC or the N protocol once I boot Ubuntu?! I guess I'll find out.
    Please post back and let us know.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

It will be at least a week or so before I get the hardware but I'll definitely bump this and let you guys know what happens. Thanks again!

Beans

Finally got my system, a Sager 7330 with the wireless card mentioned above. However Wifi is still not an option for connectivity. This is what I get when following the last step on that link.

Code:
    danny@Jarvis:~$ sudo cp Desktop/iwlwifi-7260-7.ucode /lib/firmware/danny@Jarvis:~$ sudo modprobe -r iwldvm  <--If it is not loaded, OK, please proceed
    bash: --If: No such file or directory
    danny@Jarvis:~$ sudo modprobe -r iwlwifi <--If it is not loaded, OK, please proceed
    bash: --If: No such file or directory
    danny@Jarvis:~$ sudo modprobe iwlwifi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The bash error of 'If no such file' I think may be caused by this part of the commands '<--If it is not loaded, OK, please proceed'.

I suggest that you try again leaving out the '
    <--If it is not loaded, OK, please proceed'.

That might be all you need to do to get wireless working.

Other than the above I cannot be of further help to you, sorry.

Hopefully chili555 will see this and confirm things.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by westie457 View Post
    The bash error of 'If no such file' I think may be caused by this part of the commands '<--If it is not loaded, OK, please proceed'.

I suggest that you try again leaving out the '
    <--If it is not loaded, OK, please proceed'.

That might be all you need to do to get wireless working.

Other than the above I cannot be of further help to you, sorry.

Hopefully chili555 will see this and confirm things.
    Yes, indeed. The parts here: <--If it is not loaded, OK, please proceed are simply my explanatory notes, not a part of the actual terminal command.

If you correct the command, does it work?

Beans

So this is what I'm entering:

Code:
     sudo cp Desktop/iwlwifi-7260-7.ucode /lib/firmware/sudo modprobe -r iwldvm  
    sudo modprobe -r iwlwifi 
    sudo modprobe iwlwifi
    nothing really happened though. So I restarted and just entered it again to no avail. The network drop down menu doesn't scan or show any wifi networks.

Edit: Though I must say my bluetooth is working which is on the same intel 7270 card.

Beans
    Distro

sudo cp Desktop/iwlwifi-7260-7.ucode /lib/firmware/sudo modprobe -r iwldvm
    This is two separate commands:
    Code:
    sudo cp Desktop/iwlwifi-7260-7.ucode /lib/firmware/
    sudo modprobe -r iwldvm
    Did the firmware get copied to /lib/firmware? Check:
    Code:
    ls /lib/firmware |  grep 7260
    If it is there, load the driver manually:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe iwlwifi
    Is a wireless interface created, ideally wlan0?
    Code:
    iwconfig
    Are there any clues as to what's wrong in the message log?
    Code:
    dmesg | grep iwl
    Is the switch set to enable or disable wireless?
    Code:
    rfkill list all

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast