Thread: mp3's aren't opening in the correct application.

Beans

mp3's aren't opening in the correct application.

When I double click on an .mp3 file, it's opening in Handbreak instead of VLC.

I've gone to System settings / Details / Default applications, and have both music and video set to VLC. I've tried changing the setting to Handbreak, then going back and changing it to VLC, but that's not helping. FWIW, videos are opening in VLC as I expect them to.

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS.

Any suggestions for how I can get my mp3's to open in VLC?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: mp3's aren't opening in the correct application.

Have you tried using Nautilus and browsing to an .mp3 file then right-clicking on it and selecting VLC as the application to open it with? I believe once you have done this the last selection should become the default.

Beans

Thanks dhunt. That didn't exactly solve it for me, but it did lead me down the right path. After I right clicked on the mp3 and chose to open in VLC, the problem persisted. I tried another right click and selected 'open with other application'. In that dialog, there was an option to select Handbreak, and then click 'Forget Association', and that resolved the issue for me. Thanks again!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Glad I could help (or at least participate in your self help activity) and thanks for posting the answer....

BTW, you are the first person I have successfully helped. I will remember this day forever (sniff, sniff). Have fun with Ubuntu, it really is awesome!